Covington Catholic faces backlash after tense exchange with indigenous marchers

futurecoach

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I didn't say it did. I just feel like we were fed a lot of lies in the beginning. I think some kids got riled up and did some stupid things. They'll probably be punished.

The guy who instigated it with a group of KIDS...what's his excuse? How would you feel if a group of men were harrassing your kids on one side, making racial and homophobic slurs, and then from the other side, someone else instigates a situation with them? With one in the second group telling the white kids to go back to Europe?

Everyone was wrong here most likely.

Then, Mr. Phillips said they were chanting "build that wall". In all the videos Ive seen, I haven't heard that chant. Was that a lie?

My kids would be taught that you can't control the actions of others, and that whenever possible, walk away.

I can assure you I wouldn't teach them to mock someones race in response.

I'm not sure I can get behind the idea that Phillips did anything wrong here simply by playing a drum in a group of people, but I do agree that everyone played a role. Some worse than others.

My kids would be taught that you can't control the actions of others, and that whenever possible, walk away.

I'm not sure I can get behind the idea that Phillips did anything wrong here simply by playing a drum in a group of people, but I do agree that everyone played a role. Some worse than others.

It's pretty obvious based on his interviews after, why he went towards the group. But thats just my opinion.

I'm out for a bit. Appreciate the mostly constructive debate from you and everyone else. Compared to twitter, we have been extremely civil. :lol2:

Agreed, seems like some of this could have been avoided with chaperones present.

It's pretty obvious based on his interviews after, why he went towards the group. But thats just my opinion.

I'm out for a bit. Appreciate the mostly constructive debate from you and everyone else. Compared to twitter, we have been extremely civil. :lol2:

95% of the time that is true here, regardless of how much we go after each others opinions. :lol2:

Walk away is exactly what should have happened and should have been LED by the adults that were with the groups of students. I watched the initial video also and my anger grew like everyone else's. Quick to judge was wrong but it was hard not to do. Mr. Smith was not aggressive but I also don't think he handled things the correct way either. If a lot of schools can teach and learn from this then a positive can be found.

These kids grew up with social media in their face 24/7. They’ve got to know better. This stuff needs to be behind us. Hate begets hate, and we need to be better as a society. This stuff can’t keep being dismissed.

There were a lot of negatives in the circumstances surrounding these videos. That should never be used as an excuse. “What did the boys do wrong other than........” Come on, man. Accountability. “Kids will be kids” is so tired.