Covington Catholic faces backlash after tense exchange with indigenous marchers

futurecoach

Also, if you want to see a large group of white people doing the tomahawk chop, tune in to the Chiefs/Pats game today. Or any Atlanta Braves game. Or maybe go see a NFL game in Washington. If the tomahawk chop is racially insensitive then it needs to be removed from our professional sports teams.

I am not saying it is or it isn't, but that tomahawk chop is widely used in professional, college, and high school sports. If the action is offensive then it shouldn't be accepted there either.

Pretty have wanted it removed from sports for a long time. Intent matters.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That group certainly wasn’t innocent either. But again, regardless of how and why, the kids still chose to react to the situation by mocking and making fun of someone’s culture.

Certainly wasn't innocent? They were racist and homphobic and they harassed kids for no reason. They were the furthest thing from innocent.

It isn’t accepted. People have been calling for them to change their mascots for years. The people who make the rules refuse to change their mascots because “tradition” and all.

Well it IS accepted. Because these teams continue to do it. But that's probably another argument for another thread.

They did the tomahawk and a chant. How do you know their intentions? Some have said they thought originally he was playing along with them because they started chanting in response to the racist homophobic men harrassing them.

The African American men also made threats and one even picked up a staff to hit someone with if they got too close. You don't seem to mind that though...

Did you know that the tomahawk chop was offensive when you were a kid? I didn't. I'm a Braves fan, they still do it at every game.

Native Americans have been saying For years that mascots, the chop, and the chant are offensive for years. But they keep being told it’s not a big deal, or that they shouldn’t be bothered by it. For most, including myself, it’s just so commonplace, we just live with it, rather than complain to deaf ears.

They did the tomahawk and a chant. How do you know their intentions? Some have said they thought originally he was playing along with them because they started chanting in response to the racist homophobic men harrassing them.

The African American men also made threats and one even picked up a staff to hit someone with if they got too close. You don't seem to mind that though...

Did you know that the tomahawk chop was offensive when you were a kid? I didn't. I'm a Braves fan, they still do it at every game.

Again, they didn't feel brave enough to respond like that to the African American group did they? The Native American wasn't with them was he? And in this era of social media there is no way that those students did not know that the tomahawk chop and chants were racially offensive.

Native Americans have been saying For years that mascots, the chop, and the chant are offensive for years. But they keep being told it’s not a big deal, or that they shouldn’t be bothered by it.

Do you know if the kids knew that? Did you when you were 16?

Again, they didn't feel brave enough to respond like that to the African American group did they? The Native American wasn't with them was he? And in this era of social media there is no way that those students did not know that the tomahawk chop and chants were racially offensive.

I really don't know what point you are trying to make?

You are making assumptions on the second part.

Just because they continue to do it doesn’t mean it is accepted. Tolerated is a better word.

If Native Americans are offended by it then it should be stopped. I remember when the Washington Bullets changed their name to the Wizards. Tradition is not an excuse for being offensive to a group of people.

I am not educated on the tomahawk chop or native american nickname debate so I will refrain from commenting on it, but I could see why the kids may not recognize it as a symbol of racial insensitivity.

Yes. I happen to be Native American and my folks have been talking about it for years. So obviously, my perspective is a little different.

But it’s why many college teams have recently changed their mascots (Syracuse for example), why the MLB Indians got rid of Chief Wahoo, and you no longer see Indian Costumes for sale during Halloween. The Native American Culture has been poked fun at, and misrepresented for entertainment purposes for years. It’s far from a new issue.

In this link is an interview with Nathan Phillips, the Native American, who was face to face with the CCH student.

Students seen mocking Native Americans could face expulsion - AOL News

Listen to the entire interview and you will get good insight into what Mr. Phillips was trying to do. Basically, he says there was an escalating back and forth between the CCH students and the Black Israelites group. Mr. Phillips says the chanting and banging his drum was the Native Americans' way to ask God to look at them and praying for everyone there. He wanted to de-escalate the situation between what he saw as two groups headed to an even worse confrontation. He did not want the Native American march to end that way. At the end of the interview he mentions no chaperones were present and that is why he felt the need to intervene.

Edited by Voice of Reason

How do you know they are 16 have you seen their birth certificate? They could be 17 and know better.

Pretty sure any teenager with any sense in the world today would know that’s offensive and considering their intend I’m pretty sure they did know.