Covington Catholic faces backlash after tense exchange with indigenous marchers

futurecoach

I did. Which is why I said "it's now clear"...

I've still yet to see any video where he walks into the middle of the group. I've seen the clip where he's walking towards the group and approaches the edge of their group. But, for conversations sake, let's say he did make his way to the middle of their group. How does that justify the taunting, chanting, dancing and stare down?

Your last sentence falls in line with the rest of the enabling going on here.

Watch the video. You have not had time to watch it since I posted it. Its a hour and 45 minutes long. I am not enabling anyone. If you are gonna speak truth then you need to watch and then comment.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just curious... Are we supposed to see something in the video that justifies the behavior of the CCH group? I just want to know before I start so I can look for it.

No I never said that at all. Just to be clear cause plain talk is easily understood, I said everyone should watch it all so they can make a informed comment instead of taking 30 sec clips and running with them. Thats all I said.

How can you say this? The issue is two days old and the kids haven’t been back in school yet. For you to speculate that they won’t be taught is ludicrous. I guarantee you this issue will be addressed at the highest level.

A premature, unfair comment. Give the school a chance to address. If they miss, then fire away.

No speculation here. Parents have proudly posted on social media the lessons they have taught their children on this incident, this includes denial and that they that are the victims.

Wasnt it you throwing out theories that Mr. Phillips got in between the kids and the African American men because the kids were being jerks?

That's not true, so why did Mr. Phillips walk into the middle of the group of kids?

What did the kids do wrong, other than a few of them doing the tomahawk?

It's been pointed out. Members of the group did several stereotypical characterizations of Native Americans. Apparently, most of these actions are so ingrained into our society, that many people don't even notice when someone does them.

Again, isn't doing the chop enough? How many things do you have to do before you can get called out for it? Or does everyone get one freebie?

People want to talk about the African American group... Let's talk about them.

It's now clear they were there for the wrong reasons and agitating the CCH group, I'm sure along with many other groups as they are clearly and extremist group. The CCH group did defend their classmate to them, job well done there.

Now...

Exactly how does any of that change the interaction with Mr. Phillips?

It’s part of the entire circumstance. As I said in my post, the kids should have reacted to the Native American envoy better. However, it was the context of a completely bizarre series of events.

Send me your manual on how to react when a group of Native Americans approaches you with a banging drum, shortly after being taunted by another group.8

I wish they would have walked away. They didn’t. Many of the kids acted inappropriately and, I am certain that the issue will be addressed when they return to school.

Obviously, the right thing would have been to have the presence of mind to walk away, in that instant.

The point re: the African Americans is made to show that the boys are not racially charged bigots. They handled that situation perfectly and literally a minute later, they’re hit from another angle. I don’t think they developed an elitist, racist attitude in 30-60 seconds.

I think they didn’t act right and they will be taught/disciplined. To pontificate to the contrary and make assertions as to their parents is ridiculous.

I just want to point out that the reaction to the Native Americans was not out of hate. Given the circumstance, the reactions while inappropriate and discipline worthy, came from a different place than hate.

Again, don’t wear the MAGA gear. It’s akin to pouring a bucket of blood on your body and jumping in the ocean.

"But they started it!"

Keep up the good work.

Most on this site are rushing to blame one side, especially when there is evidence out there to suggest the other side is just as much to blame. There is blame on both sides, but this whole episode doesn't start if the Native Americans don't approach the group, which in my opinion, an agenda to try and start trouble. Just my opinion, which I think is needed on this thread. So many of you are quick to bash the kids, how about the adults?

For what? I know how this movie ends. White is right. It always is.

I never said that. I said here is a 1 hour and 45 minute video of the whole confrontation for anyone who is really searching for what happened to watch. If you dont want to watch it then thats ok. I never said anything about white/black/native American. Nothing. Just here was video of the whole thing. When I saw that there were 13 pages on here I tried to figure out what the deal was. Thats all. I am not saying anyone is right/wrong. I am just trying to figure out the whole story. Thats what we all should be doing. Common sense right?

No speculation here. Parents have proudly posted on social media the lessons they have taught their children on this incident, this includes denial and that they that are the victims.

These kids will be taught/disciplined by parents, administration or both. Rest assured.

I never said that. I said here is a 1 hour and 45 minute video of the whole confrontation for anyone who is really searching for what happened to watch. If you dont want to watch it then thats ok. I never said anything about white/black/native American. Nothing. Just here was video of the whole thing. When I saw that there were 13 pages on here I tried to figure out what the deal was. Thats all. I am not saying anyone is right/wrong. I am just trying to figure out the whole story. Thats what we all should be doing. Common sense right?

I look forward to your report after watching the video. I can tell you, I'm not watching the entire 1:45, but I have skimmed to the point where it seems as if the African American group starts interacting with the CCH group and going from there.

I never said that. I said here is a 1 hour and 45 minute video of the whole confrontation for anyone who is really searching for what happened to watch. Ir you dont want to watch it then thats ok. I never said anything about white/black/native American. Nothing. Just here was video of the whole thing. When I saw that there were 13 pages on here I tried to figure out what the deal was. Thats all. I am not saying anyone is right/wrong. I am just trying to figure out the whole story. Thats what we all should be doing. Common sense right?

And I am saying I don’t need to watch the video to understand how this is going to turn out. I never once said I wanted to search for what “really happened”. I don’t need to know what “really happened”. Folks acted like animals and it is all the colored people’s faults that they made our perfectly groomed-for-life-white males act the way they did. White folks have been trying to tell us coloreds how to act for years and we still don’t listen. We’re so hard headed. We’ll try to be better going forward. Our apologies.

I did. Which is why I said "it's now clear"...

I've still yet to see any video where he walks into the middle of the group. I've seen the clip where he's walking towards the group and approaches the edge of their group. But, for conversations sake, let's say he did make his way to the middle of their group. How does that justify the taunting, chanting, dancing and stare down?

Your last sentence falls in line with the rest of the enabling going on here.

You made your mind up based on one 30 second clip. You were fine believing theories about them harrassing African Americans, and surrounding him, with no video evidence of such.

But you need to see a video of him walking into the group, because the one of him approaching them isn't good enough?

I look forward to your report after watching the video. I can tell you, I'm not watching the entire 1:45, but I have skimmed to the point where it seems as if the African American group starts interacting with the CCH group and going from there.

I am not giving a full report to you nor anyone else. I just posted this so if anyone wanted to watch it they could. I never dreamed posting a video of the whole incident would prompt these kinds of responses.

It’s part of the entire circumstance. As I said in my post, the kids should have reacted to the Native American envoy better. However, it was the context of a completely bizarre series of events.

Send me your manual on how to react when a group of Native Americans approaches you with a banging drum, shortly after being taunted by another group.8

I wish they would have walked away. They didn’t. Many of the kids acted inappropriately and, I am certain that the issue will be addressed when they return to school.

Obviously, the right thing would have been to have the presence of mind to walk away, in that instant.

The point re: the African Americans is made to show that the boys are not racially charged bigots. They handled that situation perfectly and literally a minute later, they’re hit from another angle. I don’t think they developed an elitist, racist attitude in 30-60 seconds.

I think they didn’t act right and they will be taught/disciplined. To pontificate to the contrary and make assertions as to their parents is ridiculous.

I just want to point out that the reaction to the Native Americans was not out of hate. Given the circumstance, the reactions while inappropriate and discipline worthy, came from a different place than hate.

Again, don’t wear the MAGA gear. It’s akin to pouring a bucket of blood on your body and jumping in the ocean.

I don't disagree that the whole event is bizarre, and it's likely that none of those kids have ever been in that position before, and may not have the life experience to handle it in a perfect way. What's troubling, is that in a time of confusion, or being placed in a strange situation, the first reaction of the students is to fall into stereotypical, racist, characterizations of a group that's different from themselves. Sure, the actions may not be based in hate per say. But when mocking another race is your first choice under any circumstance, that seems to me, is a problem. Why are racial stereotypes the first reaction they go to?

This is so much deeper than a school or parents teaching kids not to say or do racist things. Heck, I think that probably happens every day. The issue is despite constant reminders, and teaching, that issues like this still happen, and people still find ways to minimize, make excuses for or defend those actions. And then wonder why it still hapens.

Edited by rjs4470