Harmon ineligible?

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr. Harmon may be a wonderful guy, don't know him and can't say...but on this point he's delusional and should just be quiet and work on getting his son eligible (if possible). It's not the KHSAA'S fault he has moved at least 3 times since an 8th grader and played for 4 different high schools(counting Marshall Co.) since a 7th grader (including Tennessee). Come on man.

I would be surprised in there's one person in the entire state of Kentucky who is concerned about this kid breaking all the state records. I think he's wrong with those comments.

It's an absolutely delusional thought on his part. He's upset and talking nonsense. If he actually believes what he's saying then all I can do is shake my head.

Hot off the presses. Zion Harmon’s Dad did a recent interview where he addressed the recent decision by the KHSAA to rule Zion ineligible.

He said, “they are penalizing Zion because he accomplished too much in two years and have never seen anyone like him in the state of Kentucky.”

Kinda seems like not so long ago that O.J. Mayo was having just as much success as a middle schooler playing varsity. And while he still has a few years to go the buzz around this kid isn't a fraction of what it was with the recruitment of Rex Chapman. Both of those guys were top #10 NBA draft picks. Maybe we pump the brakes just a bit on that talk until we see what this kid actual accomplishes.

Didn't he just play in an all star game the other night? Wasn't there a rule at one time you couldn't play organized basketball until KHSAA basketball season starts, once school had started?(dumb rule) and KY is the only state that has it?

Yes it is a rule.

Well, the way I see it, is the Harmons think they ought to receive special treatment. He has transferred EACH of the last 4 years. And been blatant about it, or at least his father has.

Yes, he is a very good player, but he should have to obey the rules, somewhat, at least as much as everyone else. Coming out and announcing that he's taking his talent to here or there??! Saying here's a list of schools that he's considering?? Just way too much...

Didn't he just play in an all star game the other night? Wasn't there a rule at one time you couldn't play organized basketball until KHSAA basketball season starts, once school had started?(dumb rule) and KY is the only state that has it?

I’m pretty sure he did. He was up at Dyckman for the second time if I am not mistaken.

Well, the way I see it, is the Harmons think they ought to receive special treatment. He has transferred EACH of the last 4 years. And been blatant about it, or at least his father has.

Yes, he is a very good player, but he should have to obey the rules, somewhat, at least as much as everyone else. Coming out and announcing that he's taking his talent to here or there??! Saying here's a list of schools that he's considering?? Just way too much...

In all fairness, they moved each time.

Unless a coach is recruiting a kid, or booster club recruiting a kid with this or that promises and giving things like addresses to use, then let the kid play.

If the parents are caught in the lie then suspend their kid becasue of their actions and punish the school for letting it happen. Take away post season play for them.

Unless a coach is recruiting a kid, or booster club recruiting a kid with this or that promises and giving things like addresses to use, then let the kid play.

If the parents are caught in the lie then suspend their kid becasue of their actions and punish the school for letting it happen. Take away post season play for them.

I don't agree with the bolded. Suspend the coach (if he was involved), but the other players on the team shouldn't suffer.

I will be the first to admit that I don't get any of this from a "what's best for the kid scenario". I don't get the 4 schools in 4 years. I don't get the fact that he has to re-classify because his age is much older than the grade he is currently in... I don't get any of it.

But, this is silly. It's a terrible hill for the KHSAA to die on. In other words, this case is not representative of any similar situation. Like it or not, the kid moved in each instance. He didn't move say, from an independent city school to the county school in the same location. He has moved several counties over each time. To any court looking at this, it screams that this kid is not being treated the same as someone similarly situated. With the economic conditions in much of the Commonwealth, I guarantee that you have had kids physically move 3 times in 3 years and no one has ever said boo about their eligibility. But here, you have someone notable and you try to enforce the "athletic reasons" clause that is already so subjective as to make it laughable.

No, this isn't about records, and moving schools like this when you don't have to is crazy, but if the kid is academically eligible he should be allowed to play.

I don't agree with the bolded. Suspend the coach (if he was involved), but the other players on the team shouldn't suffer.

If you make enough people pay then they wont do it again.

Just think. Suspend a bunch of innocent kids and how many mad parents do we have going to the Board of Ed at the school demanding someones head roll over this. Plus it makes the news.

When coaches and ADs get fired, they will take notice.

I bet they dont do it again for fear of everything I just said.