Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Harmon ineligible?

Featured Replies

This thought just came to me. The crux of this issue is we don't want teams bringing in multiple transfers and gaining a competitive advantage. It seems to me this is about the schools and competition more than it's about individual players / students. If that is the purpose for the rules, then maybe the rules should be shaped to penalize schools that bring in transfers versus penalizing kids who change schools. Like I said, the idea just came to mind so I haven't really thought out the details of how you could penalize schools. Obviously you could just fine them a certain amount for each transfer over a set number. I will think on it some more and if anyone else wants to piggyback on the idea, run with it.

 

We don't want schools recruiting. I believe that is a legitimate thing that most people agree on. If a kid just shows up, why would a school be expected to tell them no? I don't think this is the answer. Heck, maybe there isn't an answer.

  • Replies 225
  • Views 60.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The KHSAA specifically says you can’t transfer for athletic purposes, the one year suspension from sports is to deter athletes from doing so.

 

If you blatantly say you’re transferring for athletic purposes, you have to sit out a year.

 

Harmon is transferring for athletics purposes. He’s not transferring because of his parents job, education, or any other reason. Therefore, he must sit out a year.

 

No ands, ifs, or buts about. Don’t overthink it.

 

Prove it.

Ugh. Too much to say, so let me try to keep it short. Parents/kids move all the time for varying, legitimate reasons. Heck my parents moved when I was 4-5 yo because the local climate where we lived was murder on my allergies. So there are tons of legit reasons to move, and when that happens, kids should be able to play.

 

In this particular case, I don't know what the goal or final outcome is the family has in mind, but to me if this young man has to sit, there is no one to blame but the family. My personal opinion.

We don't want schools recruiting. I believe that is a legitimate thing that most people agree on. If a kid just shows up, why would a school be expected to tell them no? I don't think this is the answer. Heck, maybe there isn't an answer.

 

That's right. The school would not tell them no. Each school would be allowed to have a certain number of transfers. I don't know what the number should be. Let's say if a school brings in three transfers, they pay a fine. This allows a kid to transfer as they wish, but he/she isn't going to be able to bring a couple friends with them.

The rules are put in place so that schools or employees of schools can't give "incentives". Good teams bring in money and if the KHSAA allows kids to move anywhere you want the big money schools will dominate. If the KHSAA don't monitor and enforce the rules high school basketball will be nothing more than AAU where kids move nonstop.

We don't want schools recruiting. I believe that is a legitimate thing that most people agree on. If a kid just shows up, why would a school be expected to tell them no? I don't think this is the answer. Heck, maybe there isn't an answer.

 

I don't know if it's recruiting or not, but a student should be able to attend whatever school he, or she, desires. And they should be allowed to participate in any and all extracurricular activities that they want and are capable of.

I don't know if it's recruiting or not, but a student should be able to attend whatever school he, or she, desires. And they should be allowed to participate in any and all extracurricular activities that they want and are capable of.

 

Do you believe a school should be able to incentivize a student to come to their school for the purpose of playing athletics? Keeping in mind that I’m not referring to this case, but the general statement that I made that most people agree that schools should not be recruiting.

Do you believe a school should be able to incentivize a student to come to their school for the purpose of playing athletics? Keeping in mind that I’m not referring to this case, but the general statement that I made that most people agree that schools should not be recruiting.

 

What do you mean by incentivize? If you're talking $$, obviously not. I'm not really sure what else you could mean.

Do you believe a school should be able to incentivize a student to come to their school for the purpose of playing athletics? Keeping in mind that I’m not referring to this case, but the general statement that I made that most people agree that schools should not be recruiting.

 

What do you mean by incentivize? If you're talking $$, obviously not. I'm not really sure what else you could mean.

 

Can a private school offer tuition discounts?

I don't know if it's recruiting or not, but a student should be able to attend whatever school he, or she, desires. And they should be allowed to participate in any and all extracurricular activities that they want and are capable of.

 

It’s really that simple.

Do you believe a school should be able to incentivize a student to come to their school for the purpose of playing athletics? Keeping in mind that I’m not referring to this case, but the general statement that I made that most people agree that schools should not be recruiting.

 

Schools don’t recruit. People tied to the schools recruit.

 

 

Didn’t Warren Central get at least two transfers this offseason? Isn’t one from Adair County? Are those transfers that Warren Central basketball received this year eligible?

Can a private school offer tuition discounts?

 

Not that I'm aware of.

It’s really that simple.

 

Kinda crazy how complex some make the issue, isn't it?

I don't know if it's recruiting or not, but a student should be able to attend whatever school he, or she, desires. And they should be allowed to participate in any and all extracurricular activities that they want and are capable of.

 

It’s really that simple.

 

Kinda crazy how complex some make the issue, isn't it?

 

I would like to agree with this, but I can't now that sports have become more important than school to so many kids and their parents.

I would like to agree with this, but I can't now that sports have become more important than school to so many kids and their parents.

 

The kids are still getting an education at the school they choose to attend, right? Why does it matter what their reasoning is for attending said school?

 

Does a kid who is in the band and transfers schools have to sit out a year before participating at the new school?

 

Does a kid on the academic or debate teams have to sit out a year?

 

Those are sincere questions. I don't know if they do or not.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.