Harmon ineligible?

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not the case.

When he transfers the receiving school sends the form with the "reason for transfer" to the sending school. In this case I would assume that marshall county checked the "bonafied change of address" box. When Adair got the request they had two options. To sign off on the "change of address" or contest it with the KHSAA. If they had signed off he would have been eligible. I suspect they contested it and cited the part of the by-law that says you can't transfer for athletic reasons. They probably included Harmon's dad's comments about him picking a school for basketball reasons.

This is not 100% accurate, true if Adair county contested in any fashion he would be automatic ineligible but to say if they don’t contest he is automatic eligible is inaccurate.

I know for 1000000% that Taylor County didn’t contest the move of David Sloan to Ballard and he was ruled ineligible. That move was contested by other schools in the 7th region as I am sure other schools in the 1st pitched a fit on this one.

This is not the case.

When he transfers the receiving school sends the form with the "reason for transfer" to the sending school. In this case I would assume that marshall county checked the "bonafied change of address" box. When Adair got the request they had two options. To sign off on the "change of address" or contest it with the KHSAA. If they had signed off he would have been eligible. I suspect they contested it and cited the part of the by-law that says you can't transfer for athletic reasons. They probably included Harmon's dad's comments about him picking a school for basketball reasons.

That’s a misconception about transfer paper. There is no “signing off” to approve or disapprove a transfer. A sending school fills out the forms, sign it, and may send in addional information if they want.

That’s a misconception about transfer paper. There is no “signing off” to approve or disapprove a transfer. A sending school fills out the forms, sign it, and may send in addional information if they want.

Correct. Sending school can't OK the transfer. The KHSAA makes the decision based on the facts presented.

Correct. Sending school can't OK the transfer. The KHSAA makes the decision based on the facts presented.

Correct, but if the sending school does contest in anyway stating recruitment or something else then 99 out of 100 they are ruled ineligible until an appeal is heard.

What I said in post #26 is correct (Section 1a below).

Section 4b discusses a member school objecting and how the KHSAA handles that.

Here is a link to KHSAA Bylaw #6 that covers transfers.

https://khsaa.org/handbook/bylaws/20172018/bylaw6.pdf

Here are the key sections:

Sec. 1) a) Any student who has been enrolled in grades nine (9) through twelve (12) and has participated in any varsity contest in any sport at any school while maintaining permanent residence in the United States or a United States territory following enrollment in grade nine (9) and who then transfers schools shall be ineligible for interscholastic athletics at the varsity (first team) level in any sport for one year from the date of last

participation in varsity interscholastic athletics.

Sec. 2) DISCRETIONARY EXCEPTIONS FOR WAIVER

d) BONA FIDE CHANGE IN RESIDENCE- The period of ineligibility may be waived if there has been a bona fide change in residence by the parents and student that precedes a student’s change of schools.

(1) For purposes of this bylaw, a bona fide change of residence means the uninterrupted moving of the permanent residence of the entire family unit of the student as composed when the student was eligible at the sending school (including one or both parents if at that residence) from one school district or defi ned school attendance area into another school district or defined school attendance area prior to a change in

enrollment of the student.

(2) To be considered bona fide, the change must remain

uninterrupted for the entire period during which the student would have been ineligible if the exception was not applied.

(3) A student who becomes emancipated does not have a bona fide change of residence by virtue of his or her emancipation and change of residence for purposes of satisfying this exception.

(4) Determinations of whether a student shall be granted a waiver pursuant to this exception shall be based on the

circumstances existing as of the date of enrollment at the

new school

Sec. 4) OTHER TRANSFERRING STUDENT RESTRICTIONS AND PROCEDURES

a) The Commissioner’s office may appoint or hire a committee or investigator to conduct any inquiry or investigation concerning any issues arising under this bylaw or any other bylaw.

b) If any member school files a written objection to the factual validity of the certification before the conclusion of the period of time to which the period of ineligibility would normally apply, along with the specific, detailed basis for the objection, then a complete investigation shall be conducted by the KHSAA and a ruling shall be issued through the Commissioner’s office.

c) A student is ineligible for athletics in this state if he or she transfers from another state if the student was or would have become ineligible in the state from which he or she transfers.

We're all right. I failed to mention that a 3rd school could object to the transfer even if the sending school signs off on the transfer.

In this case it's almost certain what happened. Receiving school (marshall county) sent sending school (adair county) the transfer paper work with the "bonafied change in address" box checked. Adair county likely signed off on it.

But... In the process a 3rd school (let's be real, probably in the 1st region) sent in a complaint to the KHSAA about the transfer. They likely argued that he was transferring for "athletic purposes" which is prohibited in the transfer by-law.

The bottom line is... For the khsaa to rule somebody ineligible there is typically a complaint by somebody. The KHSAA doesn't just do that on their own. (typically speaking). Though harmon's dad's very public comments seem to completely fly in the face of the bylaw.

We're all right. I failed to mention that a 3rd school could object to the transfer even if the sending school signs off on the transfer.

In this case it's almost certain what happened. Receiving school (marshall county) sent sending school (adair county) the transfer paper work with the "bonafied change in address" box checked. Adair county likely signed off on it.

But... In the process a 3rd school (let's be real, probably in the 1st region) sent in a complaint to the KHSAA about the transfer. They likely argued that he was transferring for "athletic purposes" which is prohibited in the transfer by-law.

The bottom line is... For the khsaa to rule somebody ineligible there is typically a complaint by somebody. The KHSAA doesn't just do that on their own. (typically speaking). Though harmon's dad's very public comments seem to completely fly in the face of the bylaw.

Your last paragraph...yes the KHSAA does.

As a matter of fact the student is automatically ruled ineligible unless they request a wavier seeking eligibility. Ineligible is the 'default" setting every time until someone seeks to change it.

I posted the bylaw key points and a link to the complete Bylaw #6. What you are saying in this post contradicts what is in the bylaw.

Secondly, do you have proof a 3rd school complained? Or is that speculation?

Bottom line, it specifically states the KHSAA does their own investigation.

I will add one other thing. If you are a third party school complaining, you better come strong with solid proof. Anyone with knowledge of the investigation into the Covington Holy Cross girls basketball program can attest to that.

Going back to my question above (to anyone who can answer):

Did the Commissioner's office issue a ruling on Harmon's eligibility?