Why does Newport Catholic not have their own football field yet?

Why does everyone keep saying hope the school will be around to see it? Just bc numbers are going down doesnt mean the school is going to close. There will always be people willing to pay for a catholic education.

Agreed. If there's one thing that the bishop and the superintendent are committed to, it's not closing or consolidating any of the schools in the diocese.

Just look at St. Anthony gradeschool and Holy Cross gradeschool: For decades St. Anthony has had less than 10 students per grade, and they're in a school building built to handle 3 or 4 times that many students. Holy Cross is busting at the seams and holds classes in 3 or 4 houses across the street that they've tried to convert into "classroom space". There's no reason those two schools couldn't be merged and turned into an elementary campus and middle school campus, but Foys & Clines will NOT merge schools.

Why does everyone keep saying hope the school will be around to see it? Just bc numbers are going down doesnt mean the school is going to close. There will always be people willing to pay for a catholic education.

I think it will stay open, but I also think less folks are willing to pay for a Catholic education in today’s ‘Ive gotta keep up with the Joneses’ mentality. Also keep in mind there are a lot of kids on tuition assistance on the hill. The play raises nearly 100k per year to support that cause.

Agreed. If there's one thing that the bishop and the superintendent are committed to, it's not closing or consolidating any of the schools in the diocese.

Just look at St. Anthony gradeschool and Holy Cross gradeschool: For decades St. Anthony has had less than 10 students per grade, and they're in a school building built to handle 3 or 4 times that many students. Holy Cross is busting at the seams and holds classes in 3 or 4 houses across the street that they've tried to convert into "classroom space". There's no reason those two schools couldn't be merged and turned into an elementary campus and middle school campus, but Foys & Clines will NOT merge schools.

Actually it is the high school not the elementary that owns and uses the houses across the street, but the point is the same.

Rather than re-engineering the hill or buying out the the businesses down the hill I would think it would be more fiscally responsible to buy the Beverly Hills property less than 5 minutes down the road. Plenty of space for a whole complex plus parking.

Rather than re-engineering the hill or buying out the the businesses down the hill I would think it would be more fiscally responsible to buy the Beverly Hills property less than 5 minutes down the road. Plenty of space for a whole complex plus parking.

I'm not sure who owns that parcel these days (Schillings?), and I'm not sure how the families of those who died in the fire would feel about a football stadium being built there, but I, for one, am good with that idea. Makes more sense to me than the hill at NCC.

If it were the school or diocese paying for it, there would be an argument for fiscal responsibility. Is NewCath supposed to say "no thank you" because some 3rd party doesn't like how the donor spends his money?

That's just silly...

I think what I've always heard is it doesn't matter if a donor wants to give millions to you and build a field, the diocesan makes the decision is this what these millions should be used for at this time. If they feel that the school needs this money more to upgrade classrooms or the roof needs fixed or name any other thing besides a field than they will want to use the money for that. If the donor says well I only want it to go for athletic field purposes they are told that is not on the table at this current time and the donation isn't taken. So the donor can hold back their money but they can't just say here it is and your rolling to a new field. Things must go in order of importance from what I've always understood. Maybe I'm wrong on this.

I think what I've always heard is it doesn't matter if a donor wants to give millions to you and build a field, the diocesan makes the decision is this what these millions should be used for at this time. If they feel that the school needs this money more to upgrade classrooms or the roof needs fixed or name any other thing besides a field than they will want to use the money for that. If the donor says well I only want it to go for athletic field purposes they are told that is not on the table at this current time and the donation isn't taken. So the donor can hold back their money but they can't just say here it is and your rolling to a new field. Things must go in order of importance from what I've always understood. Maybe I'm wrong on this.

I believe you're 100% correct.

Unless I'm mistaken, the diocese, who owns the school, thinks Newport Central Catholic needs to find funds to address the issue of their 63 year old school building before they go about finding funds to build a new stadium next to their 63 year old school building.

I'm not sure the age of the age of St. Patrick's building in Maysville, but I believe Holy Cross is the only diocesan owned building older than New Cath's right now.

For the record, Covington Latin School's original building is older, but was recently remodeled and added onto. Notre Dame Academy is owned by the Sisters of Notre Dame, and Villa Madonna is owned by the Benedictine nuns.

From my source told me, the donor said if he is told no again on what he wants to donate his money towards then dont ask again. I mean Newcath has remodeled how much stuff since I graduated in 2000? Upgraded the HVAC system, added a black box theater, new locker room and weight room, just renovated the old library into something with an awesome view of Cincy. If they were worried about a roof you think they'd have been able to fix it already. I'm saying with all the upgrades and Reno's being done that any other desperate needs wouldve been addressed first.

Over the summer a donor with no association/family at NewCath, just believes in Catholic education, heard the main roof needed fixing so he meet with Ron Dawn and gave him blank check and told him to get a new roof, it was completed 1st week of September.