Why does Newport Catholic not have their own football field yet?

The diocese is committed to keeping schools in the inner- city. Schools like NCC and Holy Cross aren't going anywhere soon. The other diocese high schools in NKY are new or extensively renovated. Look for those two schools to have money spent on them in the near future

Does NewCath still offer free tuition to any student that lives in Newport that can’t afford the tuition but wishes to continue their Catholic faith?

After the then Bishop Hughes got talked/scared/threatened out of a centralized Catholic high school across from St Joes (now a Bob Evans and medical buildings) things kind of stagnated and then the Diocese found itself in deep trouble with all the lawsuits from the bad Priests and their troubling behavior. Nothing could be green-lighted because the Diocese knew there was going to be massive payouts. Then when the Marydale property was sold off to fund the record 120 million dollar payout to victims in 2005. things could go forward. The 2007-2009 recession soon followed. After that both NCC and Brossart made academic improvements (if you are a theater fan you really like them) to their schools that did not directly involve athletics. That kind of leaves athletic improvements as the next logical step I guess.

Does NewCath still offer free tuition to any student that lives in Newport that can’t afford the tuition but wishes to continue their Catholic faith?

I don't think any private school in Kentucky can offer free tuition. Any tuition assistance is done thru an independent third party and there are limits to the amount/percentage of tuition assistance (I think it is like 40%) and the identity of those awarded assistance is never known to the school itself before the third party makes a decision based on financial factors only.

I don't think any private school in Kentucky can offer free tuition. Any tuition assistance is done thru an independent third party and there are limits to the amount/percentage of tuition assistance (I think it is like 40%) and the identity of those awarded assistance is never known to the school itself before the third party makes a decision based on financial factors only.

Exactly so it could be conceivable be free but nobody will ever know. I know St Catherine in Ft Thomas use to be a no tuition elementary but you had better put your share in on Sundays or you better be prepared to offer your time and talent

Exactly so it could be conceivable be free but nobody will ever know. I know St Catherine in Ft Thomas use to be a no tuition elementary but you had better put your share in on Sundays or you better be prepared to offer your time and talent

No it cannot be free. Any award has to come from a third party that is applied to and that third party knows how much in the "pool" and how much can be awarded based on financial need only and the percentage awarded to a student is limited. That is for every school. The school itself has nothing to do with it other than saying this is the amount in the pool.

No it cannot be free. Any award has to come from a third party that is applied to and that third party knows how much in the "pool" and how much can be awarded based on financial need only and the percentage awarded to a student is limited. That is for every school. The school itself has nothing to do with it other than saying this is the amount in the pool.

Wow I have always been led to believe differently but thx for clearing that up

I know back in my day (late 90s), athletes who were on tuition assistance spent time cleaning classrooms and doing other chores for the school. I dont know and never asked details but I they said it was part of the tuition assistance. Im sure there was more that went along with that.

I know back in my day (late 90s), athletes who were on tuition assistance spent time cleaning classrooms and doing other chores for the school. I dont know and never asked details but I they said it was part of the tuition assistance. Im sure there was more that went along with that.

Not an athlete, but I spent a couple hours a day after school cleaning up. I was given $2.00 per hour off my tuition. Fair wages for those days.

I have wondered if Bellevue, Dayton and/or Newport city schools ever merged, if Gilligan Stadium would ever go up for sale to Newport Catholic. I know it is in Bellevue, but it is just under the bridge from where they currently play.

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue
Rule #13

I have wondered if Bellevue, Dayton and/or Newport city schools ever merged, if Gilligan Stadium would ever go up for sale to Newport Catholic. I know it is in Bellevue, but it is just under the bridge from where they currently play.

Combining those schools makes to much sense, no one will ever go for that.

I know a family who did that at both Cov Cath and Notre Dame very recently. Not for athletes, but just to send their kids there. Don’t know for sure how much they got off tuition, but it was the only way hey could afford to send their children there. It was nice thing and the kids appreciated their education so much more.

Back to the thread...NCC sits on such a beautiful piece of land. It is a shame they can’t get a field in there.