Why does Newport Catholic not have their own football field yet?

I'm pretty sure most of the money going towards Brossart's complex was raised privately as well. Not much risk for the Diocese in either case and plenty of reward. Neither school is going anywhere.

Here is what I mean by a risk. Enrollment is now at 320 say it continues to drop gets to the 250 range. Not really a stretch to think this since price of a catholic education is getting more expensive and its becoming a big sacrifice for families to afford. Some it will never be an issue others its becoming tough. Ncc probably at its best was at 425-450 kids. Thats a lot of money lost from 175-200 kids of a years tuition. Now say some builder goes to a game on that hill sees this beautiful view of the city and says I could sell some high dollar condos and luxury apartments up here and make a ton of money. He offers big dollars for this property and lets be honest this property is very valuable. What if the property is sold and the football field which cost one guy millions is now condos 1A-12A. How would this guy feel about his donation being sold and gone 10 years from now. I'm not buying that there is no way any schools are possibly being closed or merged. In Cincinnati this coming fall of 2018 you have the merger of Mercy and McAuley coming. Who would have thought that would happen. If you have 2 schools in brossart and ncc who used to have 400 or so kids and they now have 250 or so who can guarantee one doesn't close and they combine.

Newport Catholic is the only catholic high school in the northern part of one of the largest counties in Kentucky. If you combine the population of the Campbell County cities within 5 miles of Newport Catholic into one city, that city population would probably in the top 5-10 in the state. It would be an embarrassment to the Diocese to close Newport Catholic. I think the current enrollment at Newport Catholic should be embarrassing to the Diocese. The Diocese should be investing much more in the school, including athletic facilities, and looking at why the enrollment is in decline. How does the enrollment trend at Newport Catholic compare with other catholic schools in the area?

The conversation in this thread has expanded to several topics I commented on in post #50. Although there has been talk of go ahead and do it no matter what the Bishop says, it won’t work out that way. It’s irresponsible to take on a project that can add financial harm. Not one of us on here would except the gift of an expensive car if we couldn’t afford the insurance or maintenance. It’s financially irresponsible and you would either sell or not except. Secondly, what’s the health of the feeder schools to ensure longevity? Several grade schools in Newport, Southgate and Fort Thomas have been mentioned, but none have a bulging student population. St Joe in Cold Spring has more then all of them combined. Ncc gets a few students from St Joe but no where near the numbers from past years. More have optioned for CovCath and Brossart for Catholic education. Not trying to stir emotion, it’s a fact. Growth at the southern end of the county will/has made it more difficult for Ncc to obtain those students. Sure, many have made the trip north on 27 to Ncc and still do, but that trend is reversing. I’m all for Ncc benefiting in anyway, but obtaining a sports complex may have missed its window when the option to buy the old Kmart property was passed up in the 70’s. Re-engineering the hill will only increase financial instability of a small private school relying on increased tuition or drain resources from the rest of the diocese to possibly maintain this facility. A maintenance plan will have to be employed to secure a facility of this magnitude. Ncc’s existence is based on catholic education, sports are secondary. It’s a hard pill to swallow for parents who don’t have kids playing sports to have a tuition increase to subsidize sports activities. Again, I wish nothing but the best for Ncc, just trying to point out some of my reservations.

The conversation in this thread has expanded to several topics I commented on in post #50. Although there has been talk of go ahead and do it no matter what the Bishop says, it won’t work out that way. It’s irresponsible to take on a project that can add financial harm. Not one of us on here would except the gift of an expensive car if we couldn’t afford the insurance or maintenance. It’s financially irresponsible and you would either sell or not except. Secondly, what’s the health of the feeder schools to ensure longevity? Several grade schools in Newport, Southgate and Fort Thomas have been mentioned, but none have a bulging student population. St Joe in Cold Spring has more then all of them combined. Ncc gets a few students from St Joe but no where near the numbers from past years. More have optioned for CovCath and Brossart for Catholic education. Not trying to stir emotion, it’s a fact. Growth at the southern end of the county will/has made it more difficult for Ncc to obtain those students. Sure, many have made the trip north on 27 to Ncc and still do, but that trend is reversing. I’m all for Ncc benefiting in anyway, but obtaining a sports complex may have missed its window when the option to buy the old Kmart property was passed up in the 70’s. Re-engineering the hill will only increase financial instability of a small private school relying on increased tuition or drain resources from the rest of the diocese to possibly maintain this facility. A maintenance plan will have to be employed to secure a facility of this magnitude. Ncc’s existence is based on catholic education, sports are secondary. It’s a hard pill to swallow for parents who don’t have kids playing sports to have a tuition increase to subsidize sports activities. Again, I wish nothing but the best for Ncc, just trying to point out some of my reservations.

Well stated. This is what I was trying to say but you nailed it.

I'm told by a reliable source they knew the enrollment was going to be down the past couple years however they see an increase in enrollment in the next 2 or 3 years..... as far as the new facility possibility I'm hearing there is an endowment that is going to be set up to take care of maintenance, as well as funds for tuition assistance.

My personal opinion if Mr. Carlisle willing to do this he is creating a legacy and I applaud his efforts.

To piggy back off of this question, how much money does NCC spend per year renting the field at Newport? What other expenses go along with that? Where do NCC's soccer teams play?

I am not 100% sure but seem to remember hearing that the lease with Newport was made years ago and there is very little rental cost for the stadium use.

I believe it's $1800 now.

I’m not good at math, but let’s give this a try. Say Ncc had 10 home games per year (overestimate) @ $1,800 per game, that’s $18,000 per year. Let’s say it cost 4,000,000 to re-engineer the Hill. This doesn’t include maintenance or upgrades. At $18,000 per year, it’s 222 seasons of rental fees if there are no increases. Would it be feasible to approach Newport and remodel that field with separate locker rooms, new stands, improved concessions, etc? If Newport would be willing to have the field governed by an independent board to ensure fair use of the facility, it’s a win. These two schools have coexisted for decades, why not proceed in a similar fashion. In no way would I ever want to dictate how a donor wants to use his contribution. I think this option puts the donor(s) in a different light within the community.

That's the worst idea I have heard. This fine man and his family want to help NewCath and leave a lasting mark that can help the school stay open forever. Why in the world should they pay to update a field at a different school that they rent. Go back to bed!!