Transfers - Why does it bother you?

TheDeuce

Though noone asked for it, here is my .02 on transfers:

People get all up in arms because it is "sports" related. The way I see it is if a parent wants to give their child an opportunity for success, and they do it by the books (in terms of legitimate change of address, paying tuition, providing transportation), then I applaud them for that.

People don't bat an eye when someone chooses to send Sally to a private school or a school district where academics are superior. In my mind, there is little to no difference in this compared to trying to better a kids' circumstances whether by increasing the likelihood of an athletic scholarship, playing for a more organized athletic program, playing for a coach that best fits what they want their child to learn under, or being part of a winning culture with increased involvement from the community.

I think it is silly that simply because of mythical district lines that a parent should not have ultimate say on where their child should attend school if they are willing to play by the rules to send their child elsewhere.

Now with all that said, if someone is trying to "beat the system", whether on the parent side of things or the school/coaching side of things and are not following the rules, in that case I take issue.

While I am on the soapbox, I have NO issue with scholarships at the High School Level to less privileged families and students under the exact same guise... that the scholarships are fairly and accurately being handed out.

Agreed, and we are talking about a tiny percentage of kids who fit this description and we make such a big deal out of it.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In general, I am ok with transfers. However, I don't think it should be too easy. The KHSAA rule is pretty good. It is the seeming uneven enforcement and lack of transparency in their decisions that bother me.

I don't think it should be a total free for all transfer rule. Students already have the freedom to go to any school they want, up to the time you play varsity minutes for a high school. If you make it too easy to transfer, it invites tampering, recruiting and every other negative aspect. It allows for kids and parents to get upset on a whim and just leave. It pulls the rug from under the coaches and forces them to cater to the whining. I see a lot of bad consequences of there being no transfer rule. Let kids transfer, but make it a chore they have to work hard to get.

VOR generally I agree with you on a lot of issues.

My question to you is why does it have to be tough? We can’t kids have freedom to do what’s best for them.

Give you example- Logan Woodside recently completed a great careeer at Toledo. He was at a high school and was told he wouldn’t be given a shot to play QB. He didn’t want an adult to decide his faith. (Coaches) so he transferred to a school that needed a QB and went on to earn a D1 scholarship.

Another example was Holt Hammons at Frankfort. Played at another school. Knew he wouldn’t get a shot at QB. Came to Frankfort and had to sit out first 6 games of his Junior season because he held an extra point in a blow out win. He was punished by the KHSAA because he played 1 play. How does these rules the KHSAA have in place benefit kids?

They don’t - only protect schools. KHSAA could careless about kids.

I love all transfers and always will. If a kid wants to play elsewhere then let him move on and play and do what he/she feels is the best move for their family. My kid transferred from Burgin to Boyle County during his 7th grade year and it was one of the best decisions we made for him athletically and academically that we possibly could have made.

1A-1985 Crittenden County

2A-2006 Mercer County

3A-1980 Franklin-Simpson

4A-2017 Franklin-Simpson

5A-Never

6A-2013 Scott County

These are the last times in each class that a team won the state title when that team was the only school in its county. Scott County is the only 6A school to do that. Before FS this year, George Rogers Clark in 1991 was the last 4A school to do it. Mercer County in 2006 had just absorbed Harrodsburg and was bigger than the other 2A schools. I remember a lot of people being upset about that. I would guess that most transfers happen within county lines or at least just a few miles away. One reason you rarely see schools win state when they are the only school in their county is that they usually don't get a bunch of people from other school districts. Those schools win state (when it rarely happens) with their own home-grown boys.

I have no idea how many transfers, if any, are on the powerhouse perennial state champion teams. Don't know how many boys grow up in the county then go to the city school (or vice versa) to play high school football. But if transfers didn't play a big role in the success of some programs, we would see more one-school counties with state titles.

To my knowledge, FS had one player, our starting defensive lineman Steven Starks, to transfer in from Warren Central last season and he played this year. I don't think FS had any others.

I don't have a problem with a kid transferring prior to playing varsity sports at all. I'm much less a fan of kids moving after that. I'm not against it, because there's a part of me that wants a kid to do what the kid wants to do, but I don't necessarily like it. I'm just old fashioned that way, I suppose.

Having said all that, transfers are now the way of the world. But generally speaking, I will favor a team that is more naturally built than one that has been manufactured.

Regardless, I still very much enjoy the games.

In general, I am ok with transfers. However, I don't think it should be too easy. The KHSAA rule is pretty good. It is the seeming uneven enforcement and lack of transparency in their decisions that bother me.

I don't think it should be a total free for all transfer rule. Students already have the freedom to go to any school they want, up to the time you play varsity minutes for a high school. If you make it too easy to transfer, it invites tampering, recruiting and every other negative aspect. It allows for kids and parents to get upset on a whim and just leave. It pulls the rug from under the coaches and forces them to cater to the whining. I see a lot of bad consequences of there being no transfer rule. Let kids transfer, but make it a chore they have to work hard to get.

The KHSAA enforcement is a joke. There is no way they could explain the how or why they make some of their decisions to anyone. NO respect for the KHSAA on this matter.

Personally I don't care if a kid transfers to another school. I have a hard time if its an in season transfer. Other than that I don't have a problem with it.

So why did Mike Mitchell transfer from Cov Cath to HHS for his Senior Season?

Don't know who Mike Mitchell is. But if you looked at the entire quote or looked at the statement I was commenting on, I was talking about parents thinking that My kid isn't showing out at school A; If I move him to school B he'll get the credit he's due." Maybe the kid could stand out somewhere else but if you aren't that good at one school, you are more than likely not going become a totally different player somewhere else. Coach could be holding you back, you could be stuck behind some else but that isn't what I felt we were discussing. What was Mitchell's issue to cause him to transfer?

I can't complain since I have benefited from several transfers. I will say that in general, the kids that transfer in are not good enough to unseat the player who has been in our program but we have had several who have been DI players. I've lost some DI players to because it's so easy to switch high schools.

My only complaint is the kids who go to 3-5 different schools during their time. And we're starting to have some major issues with 7v7 coaches and recruiters trying get kids to go to certain high schools. One year, every state champion in basketball had a major move in right before the season.

So why did Mike Mitchell transfer from Cov Cath to HHS for his Senior Season?

Don't know why he transferred, that's his business. Do you really think it mattered where he played high school ball? :lol2: Been a pro for a long time.

Mitchell did not play in the state title game his senior year. They won state without him. :thumb: