Transfers - Why does it bother you?

TheDeuce

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The KHSAA transfer rule only benefits coaches and schools. It only hurts student athletes. I believe sports is part of the entire education process. So why should kids not be able to transfer without having to be punished.

If a kid wants to transfer because they see an opportunity to play then theybshould be able too. Maybe the coaching staff isn’t who a kid wants to play for. Then why should they suffer?

I say let a kid transfer. Rule I would put in place is.... place you are enrolled in on August 1 is where you play for that year. So a kid could transfer 3 times during his high school time.

Everyone butt hurt over transfers should look in the mirror at why kids want to leave. I have seen schools and coaches go above and beyond on trying to block kids from getting cleared to play. In the end only kids suffer.

If only the kid was the one behind the transfer this would make sense. Kid cant transfer without an adults approval. Hence the issue.

The holding back issue is for another thread. That has been a problem for people for a very long time. But I more than agree with you when it comes to transferring.

It is, but others get in an uproar about parents choosing to allow their kids to use the maximum age allotted to participate within age laws blows my mind.

There is nothing that says playing your senior year at 18; turning 19 in December is wrong or illegal just like there isn't with some who play their senior seasons at 17 & or turn 18 the summer they graduate.

Both under the same umbrella of "mind your own" for me.

My son was a all-state cross country runner for class 2A. He had a friend in 3A that was also all-state. His friend moved to Ohio his Jr. year to be with his father as his parents where divorced. After one year he moved back home with his mother and enrolled back at the same school (Dunbar). For some reason the KHSAA would not approve his move and made him ineligible. He didn't get to run his Sr. year because of this. I've never thought kindly of the KHSAA since!

I personally know a lawyer that told me he takes great pride at fighting and defeating the KHSAA.

Simply put, fix your school and parents won't transfer their children to other schools. In my area, there are three schools that routinely get student transfers more so then the other schools. Those three schools are the highest in the area in test scores, student achievement and the number of students that attend and graduate college. Coincidentally, those three schools do pretty well in sports as well. Schools that do well academically, normally do pretty well athletically.

What do you have to say to demographically challenged and impoverished schools who routinely bleed their highest potential students? Are they supposed to pull themselves up by their bootstraps? You think those schools just sit on their hands and don’t even try?

The statement from others that people who are upset about transfers are the ones who are fans of schools that don’t get them is accurate in my opinion. But your statement here is a thinly veiled “just work harder.” There is so much more that goes on in some places and in many cases they are, in fact, working their tails off to improve. It doesn’t always yield the desired results.

In general, I am ok with transfers. However, I don't think it should be too easy. The KHSAA rule is pretty good. It is the seeming uneven enforcement and lack of transparency in their decisions that bother me.

I don't think it should be a total free for all transfer rule. Students already have the freedom to go to any school they want, up to the time you play varsity minutes for a high school. If you make it too easy to transfer, it invites tampering, recruiting and every other negative aspect. It allows for kids and parents to get upset on a whim and just leave. It pulls the rug from under the coaches and forces them to cater to the whining. I see a lot of bad consequences of there being no transfer rule. Let kids transfer, but make it a chore they have to work hard to get.

Only people who get butt hurt about transfers are the schools/ fans who never get transfers.

Not totally true. I recall Sam Harp going out of his way to block the Dunn kid from being eligible for Boyle his Senior season.

My son was a all-state cross country runner for class 2A. He had a friend in 3A that was also all-state. His friend moved to Ohio his Jr. year to be with his father as his parents where divorced. After one year he moved back home with his mother and enrolled back at the same school (Dunbar). For some reason the KHSAA would not approve his move and made him ineligible. He didn't get to run his Sr. year because of this. I've never thought kindly of the KHSAA since!

I personally know a lawyer that told me he takes great pride at fighting and defeating the KHSAA.

Felt that way since a similar thing happened to Greg Finchum @ Boyle in 1985.

Same exact thing happened here at Mason County. Our best girl runner's mom was a doctor here in Maysville; the girl ran here as a soph. Father lived in Nova Scotia; the girl lived with him her junior year. Came back here for her senior year but was denied the opportunity to run. I guess it was that unfair competitive advantage that she obtained running in the renowned cross-country powerhouse that is Nova Scotia.

I haven't had much respect for the Association since.

Since we’re talking about transfers I think it’s important to note that the schools really have no power one way or another in determining if a transfer student becomes eligible. I know coaches like to say they’ll “block” a transfer but there’s really nothing they can do, short of alleging that the kid left the school owing money or with a piece of school owned gear.

Since we’re talking about transfers I think it’s important to note that the schools really have no power one way or another in determining if a transfer student becomes eligible. I know coaches like to say they’ll “block” a transfer but there’s really nothing they can do, short of alleging that the kid left the school owing money or with a piece of school owned gear.

Some jilted coaches have written letters to the KHSAA to influence it before.