Transfers - Why does it bother you?

TheDeuce

It bothers me because its usually other coaches or parents of another team that talk to parents or the kid and convince them to leave and that they will play a lot and start for them. They help set up fake addresses and if the kid dont pan out for them then the kids is left with WHAT? A new school, and a sideline to stand on. The recruiters to get the kid to transfer doesnt care about the kids.

So yeah kids transfering bothers me.

If its legit, and its obvious if its legit, then no biggie.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So my question to you is high school sports about Kids? Adults can change jobs, non-sports playing kids can travel from school to school with no penalty.

If you have a kid that switches schools all the time then I say its up to the coach of those schools to decide if they want those type of kids playing on their teams.

I think what you are speaking of is an exception and not the norm.

Lets think about Logan Woodside. He left Anderson County because he wanted to play QB. Anderson County was a place that wouldn't allow that to occur (by the way not a knock on Coach Peach) He decides to transfer and had a change of address. His parents are divorced and had the ability to transfer. It worked out for him.

Why should other kids not be able to transfer to live out a dream? But don't have the ability to do it "By the rules"

Frankfort had a kid that transfer into them, that wanted to play QB. The parents attempted to go through the other school and seek their approval to allow the kid to transfer. For some reason the school didn't allow it. The kid was denied and had to sit out 5 games to meet "The Rule" The other school didn't want him. He wanted to Play QB. His parents could have rented an apartment and "Beat the rule" because they had the means. They didn't and the kid was punished because of ADULTS didn't think about the kid. Had he stayed at the other school he never would have played QB. Guess what this kid isn't going to the NFL or College for football. He one day will be a Heart surgeon. But because High School rules only protect Schools and Coaches this kid missed what few games he had left in his high school career.

When we will start thinking about kids?

Yes. high school sports should be about the kids. That being said, just like in real life there are rules, regulations, etc.. No matter what we think of them, and they are by no means perfect, they should be followed.

The Woodside transfer was done by the rules so no problem. As for those kids that "want to live out a dream" but don't have a way to transfer, I say make the best of your current situation or follow the rules and live with the consequences...this is a life lesson. You can't just set the example of cheating and breaking the rules for the kids. Do you want them to apply that to the rest of their life? Plenty of kids have achieved their goals just fine by making the best of their situation.

So my question to you is high school sports about Kids? Adults can change jobs, non-sports playing kids can travel from school to school with no penalty.

If you have a kid that switches schools all the time then I say its up to the coach of those schools to decide if they want those type of kids playing on their teams.

I think what you are speaking of is an exception and not the norm.

Lets think about Logan Woodside. He left Anderson County because he wanted to play QB. Anderson County was a place that wouldn't allow that to occur (by the way not a knock on Coach Peach) He decides to transfer and had a change of address. His parents are divorced and had the ability to transfer. It worked out for him.

Why should other kids not be able to transfer to live out a dream? But don't have the ability to do it "By the rules"

Frankfort had a kid that transfer into them, that wanted to play QB. The parents attempted to go through the other school and seek their approval to allow the kid to transfer. For some reason the school didn't allow it. The kid was denied and had to sit out 5 games to meet "The Rule" The other school didn't want him. He wanted to Play QB. His parents could have rented an apartment and "Beat the rule" because they had the means. They didn't and the kid was punished because of ADULTS didn't think about the kid. Had he stayed at the other school he never would have played QB. Guess what this kid isn't going to the NFL or College for football. He one day will be a Heart surgeon. But because High School rules only protect Schools and Coaches this kid missed what few games he had left in his high school career.

When we will start thinking about kids?

Coach id argue some parents are thinking about the kids. They are thinking their kids are going to be their piggy bank and will stop at nothing to make it happen.

What ever happened to proposition 2? I think that’s what it was called. It was going to require kids to ‘commit’ athletically to the high school once they attended 7th grade. I’m assuming it died an unholy death before being implemented?

Edited by Runcible Owl

What ever happened to proposition 2? I think that’s what it was called. It was going to require kids to ‘commit’ athletically to the high school once they attended 7th grade. I’m assuming it died an unholy death before being implemented?

If Prop 2 was ever really on the table, it deserved to die.

What you're describing isn't a school system, but a plantation system.

In Jefferson County a kid transfers to Manual because he or she is and outstanding student or because they excel in the arts and no one bats an eye. It's a better environment for them, no one suggests they sit out of anything because they transferred.

Kid transfers (or thinks about transferring) to Trinity because he is an outstanding football player and wants to play at a high caliber program and I promise you there will be screeching.

In Jefferson County a kid transfers to Manual because he or she is and outstanding student or because they excel in the arts and no one bats an eye. It's a better environment for them, no one suggests they sit out of anything because they transferred.

Kid transfers (or thinks about transferring) to Trinity because he is an outstanding football player and wants to play at a high caliber program and I promise you there will be screeching.

With the State of KY Education Department taking over JCPS Schools I wonder how or if that will change.

Don't know who Mike Mitchell is. But if you looked at the entire quote or looked at the statement I was commenting on, I was talking about parents thinking that My kid isn't showing out at school A; If I move him to school B he'll get the credit he's due." Maybe the kid could stand out somewhere else but if you aren't that good at one school, you are more than likely not going become a totally different player somewhere else. Coach could be holding you back, you could be stuck behind some else but that isn't what I felt we were discussing. What was Mitchell's issue to cause him to transfer?

Intensely talented HS player who started at CovCath and ended up at Highlands. His eligibility during and after the fact of his amazing HS career was cause of much controversy on this board, significantly by folks from Bell Co., as they had a great team that year and gave Highlands all they wanted in the playoffs in an epic game.

Highlands won state that year, but had to vacate several wins because of Mitchell's participation. I guess they eventually got restored, also a controversial point. Lots of lawyers and court costs involved.

After an outstanding career at Ohio U., Mitchell played several years with the Panthers as a decent-to-good strong safety with a mean streak and a tough-guy rep. He was recently cut loose from the Steelers after a run I can at best call regrettable, with lots of stupid late-hit penalties and major mistakes as he launched hisself for what he hoped would be a career-ending hit on his opponent. He shoulda been outta the league 3 years ago.

No. The parent is the root cause. The parent thinks the grass is greener because little Johnny isn’t the starting RB because down deep he just isn’t as good. So daddy makes him leave his friends and go to another school where he can get to play or sit the bench because he isn’t good enough there either.

Parents or kids neither one want to compete. They want it given to them, self entitled.

I do see this a lot as far as the bolded part. I don't necessarily agree with the rest of your post.

So for those that are all for transfers and don't have any issues with them. How do you feel about a "student athlete " that transfers for one semester to play ball then transfers back to his original school to graduate? Are we good with this? Is this good for high school sports, good for the kid, good for either school?

Seen this happen a few times.

So if kid only sits on bench for 4 years he should suck it up. Not try give himself a chance somewhere else?

Only high school sports handcuff kids.

Coaches can leave for better situations and they everyone is ok with that, but if a kid wants to go to better situation they must suck it up and make the best out of it..... make sense.

What's he suppose to sit out of...classes? This is a weak argument that people always bring up. Academics and athletics are apples and oranges. Academics is the reason you go to school, sports are extracurricular.

What's he suppose to sit out of...classes? This is a weak argument that people always bring up. Academics and athletics are apples and oranges. Academics is the reason you go to school, sports are extracurricular.

So are things like band and performing arts. If a kid transfers to the Youth Performong Arts School because he’s a talented actor or singer should he/she be allowed to participate school productions? They are extra curricular. Should a gifted student who transfers to a better academic be allowed to participate in any extra curricular activity? If so, why the double standard for athletes.

So are things like band and performing arts. If a kid transfers to the Youth Performong Arts School because he’s a talented actor or singer should he/she be allowed to participate school productions? They are extra curricular. Should a gifted student who transfers to a better academic be allowed to participate in any extra curricular activity? If so, why the double standard for athletes.

Seriously, that's your argument? How many kids do you really think transfer for band, art, etc.? It's just not even close to the same, most of those activities mentioned don't compete. I said it before and I'll say it again, transfer all you want, just do it by the rules and don't cheat a lie.

Seriously, that's your argument? How many kids do you really think transfer for band, art, etc.? It's just not even close to the same, most of those activities mentioned don't compete. I said it before and I'll say it again, transfer all you want, just do it by the rules and don't cheat a lie.

I don’t have any idea how many transfer for non athletic reasons. But the number who do transfer for athletic reasons (or more accurately, those who play sports, since we don’t know why they all transfered) is posted in another post on this thread...632. Out of 80000 total student athletes. Or about .008% of the total student athlete population in the state. And you likely haven’t heard of most of that number. Sorry, but .008% isn’t a huge number or indicative of a problem that’s out of control, and certainly isn’t that big of a deal.

I don’t have any idea how many transfer for non athletic reasons. But the number who do transfer for athletic reasons (or more accurately, those who play sports, since we don’t know why they all transfered) is posted in another post on this thread...632. Out of 80000 total student athletes. Or about .008% of the total student athlete population in the state. And you likely haven’t heard of most of that number. Sorry, but .008% isn’t a huge number or indicative of a problem that’s out of control, and certainly isn’t that big of a deal.

Never said the numbers of people doing it was a problem or a big deal. Simply said, you can't compare transferring for athletic reasons, and transferring for other reasons. Also stated that in my opinion it's fine to transfer, just follow the rules.

Never said the numbers of people doing it was a problem or a big deal. Simply said, you can't compare transferring for athletic reasons, and transferring for other reasons. Also stated that in my opinion it's fine to transfer, just follow the rules.

You did question the number who are transferring for non sports reasons. I only brought the numbers up, because in the grand scheme of things, not that many are transferring for sports reasons either. I'd bet the numbers are pretty similar, if not even greater, simply because there are many more non student athletes than student athletes. And as far as academics, and sports being apples and oranges, I'd say all are part of the whole picture of the high school experience. And all can lead to college opportunities. I don't think it's crazy for students and parents to factor all of that into which school they end up attending. Why is it so bad for students and parents to want what they believe will provide the best overall experience as well as position them best for future opportunities.