Transfers - Why does it bother you?

TheDeuce

What do you have to say to demographically challenged and impoverished schools who routinely bleed their highest potential students? Are they supposed to pull themselves up by their bootstraps? You think those schools just sit on their hands and don’t even try?

The statement from others that people who are upset about transfers are the ones who are fans of schools that don’t get them is accurate in my opinion. But your statement here is a thinly veiled “just work harder.” There is so much more that goes on in some places and in many cases they are, in fact, working their tails off to improve. It doesn’t always yield the desired results.

Perhaps not, but if your school is underachieving, you can not blame parents for taking their children to a school that will better prepare them for life after high school. What are parents to do, leave their kids at schools that do not prepare their students for college to make a point? In my area, the county school was under control of the state for academic shortcomings, many parents transferred their kids to Raceland. The county school tried to say it the transfers where for football. That's not sound logic to me.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps not, but if your school is underachieving, you can not blame parents for taking their children to a school that will better prepare them for life after high school. What are parents to do, leave their kids at schools that do not prepare their students for college to make a point? In my area, the county school was under control of the state for academic shortcomings, many parents transferred their kids to Raceland. The county school tried to say it the transfers where for football. That's not sound logic to me.

I've become acquainted over the years with the reality that there isn't a perfect system for evaluating whether a school is preparing them for life after high school. Obviously, I'm drawing on my experience locally with Warren Central and Warren County. Central was demonized for years before the transfer acceleration. When I was there we heard about how poor a school it was, but I can tell you from experience, it wasn't that at all. We had great teachers. I certainly was well prepared for life after high school, but a lot of people thought you couldn't get a good education at Central even then. I can't attest to it in that type of way now since obviously I don't attend there, but I can assure you, they still have good teachers and they still work very hard to educate their students.

You can certainly be poor and be brilliant and high achieving, and you can be an ESL student that does the same. But numerous studies and experience will show that students who have adopted English and students who come from single parent homes and are impoverished are behind the eight-ball, and are less likely to have sparkling academic records. If a parent judges a school as unfit for their child because it has poor test scores in that type of situation, I don't necessarily blame the parent, but honestly, what do you expect the school to do? Are they being measured on the same scale as schools that don't remotely fit the same criteria? And to use Central as an example, when they were marginalized with districting, it became a matter of time - especially after South Warren opened - before transfers hit them for things other than just academics. Central messed up their football program with hiring practices, but that merely accelerated the issue. Decisions out of their hands pretty much made it academic that they were going to whither and die. It was already happening.

I'm not suggesting a parent send their child there just to make a point, but your statement was "fix your school". It's insulting. I'd wager that very few, if any, administrations simply decide it isn't worth their effort to try to raise up their school. It's not an issue of simply trying harder, especially as some perceptions take deeper holds.

I'll leave it with this, and it's something I've said before - there's not a blanket answer to the issue of transferring. Stopping them altogether isn't the answer. But the idea of let anyone transfer any number of times that is bandied about on here from time to time is surely not as well. I don't know what the solution is. But when you see a school bleed students to the point it threatens their very ability to field teams or offer classes and programs, it certainly affects your perception.

It is a shame to see Warren Central struggle while the other schools in Warren county flourish. I can't imagine what those left at the school think. Owensboro played them 2 years ago and they still had talented athletic kids, just not a lot of them. I thought it was just a matter of time before they left also or just decided not to continue playing. A shame either way.

Who?

That's in reference to superstar Western Hills RB/PR/KR Wandale Robinson, who has been burning it up in 3A for a few years now, and comes from a long family line of superstar athletes. Trinity fans are gonna love him, if they don't already. He's fantastic.

It is a shame to see Warren Central struggle while the other schools in Warren county flourish. I can't imagine what those left at the school think. Owensboro played them 2 years ago and they still had talented athletic kids, just not a lot of them. I thought it was just a matter of time before they left also or just decided not to continue playing. A shame either way.

What the Warren Co. Schools System has allowed to happen to Warren Central HS is really sad. They've basically given up on a school, it seems.

What the Warren Co. Schools System has allowed to happen to Warren Central HS is really sad. They've basically given up on a school, it seems.

From what I've heard Warren Central's hoop team is pretty good. Their football team.....At one point it looked as if they were going to drop football. I think they went without a win again this year. I feel bad for the kids.

From what I've heard Warren Central's hoop team is pretty good. Their football team.....At one point it looked as if they were going to drop football. I think they went without a win again this year. I feel bad for the kids.

Yeah, boys' hoops seems to be WC's last thread.

That's in reference to superstar Western Hills RB/PR/KR Wandale Robinson, who has been burning it up in 3A for a few years now, and comes from a long family line of superstar athletes. Trinity fans are gonna love him, if they don't already. He's fantastic.

Will he have to sit out? I don’t know the rules on transfers.

• 2 weeks later...

Owensboro High School is about to find out about the transfer process first hand as Will Warren former QB at Owensboro Catholic is enrolled at the school. According to KHSAA rules he must sit out a full year from the last time he participated in a varsity sport unless granted an exception. He last played for Catholic Sept. 1, 2017. So unless he's granted an exception (if he plays) he won't get the opportunity to play against catholic. So I guess I will get to see the ins and outs of the transfer process up close and personal.

It's easy to justify parents moving their gifted athletic children to top notch sports programs where academics are a high priority as well. I see it commented on all the time.......

However, to say that some parents don't move their children to a different school for sports reason only is crazy............ I personally know three families that moved their child, or children out of the Campbell County School System, which is ranked #11 in academics for public schools in Ky, to smaller schools that have no where near the academic offerings, just so, not as athletically gifted little Johnny and Susie could make a sports team...... As a parent, I just can't get my mind around this. but it happens....... Students do transfer strictly for sports, it's just easier to put a shine on it, if it's a top academic school they are transferring to. That being said, the better education opportunities are not a bad thing for these students moving to these better schools.