Transfers - Why does it bother you?

TheDeuce

You did question the number who are transferring for non sports reasons. I only brought the numbers up, because in the grand scheme of things, not that many are transferring for sports reasons either. I'd bet the numbers are pretty similar, if not even greater, simply because there are many more non student athletes than student athletes. And as far as academics, and sports being apples and oranges, I'd say all are part of the whole picture of the high school experience. And all can lead to college opportunities. I don't think it's crazy for students and parents to factor all of that into which school they end up attending. Why is it so bad for students and parents to want what they believe will provide the best overall experience as well as position them best for future opportunities.

It's a good thing for parents to strive to put their kids in best place to facilitate success. If that means transferring, then by all means go for it. Again, just don't lie and cheat to get it done. I went through a transfer with a child of my own. I completely understand the process is cumbersome and somewhat flawed. That being said, it is the process and rules should be followed. We followed the rules and told the truth and yes, it took a while to get through it but in the long run it was worth it. It was a great life lesson for our son that you can do it the right way and it will work out. We knew of and watched many get through it a whole lot easier by lying and cheating the system but what kind of example is that to set? It is the signing of 3 month leases, using fake addresses, asking the kid to help corroborate the lie, etc. that bothers me. This is just my opinion.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a good thing for parents to strive to put their kids in best place to facilitate success. If that means transferring, then by all means go for it. Again, just don't lie and cheat to get it done. I went through a transfer with a child of my own. I completely understand the process is cumbersome and somewhat flawed. That being said, it is the process and rules should be followed. We followed the rules and told the truth and yes, it took a while to get through it but in the long run it was worth it. It was a great life lesson for our son that you can do it the right way and it will work out. We knew of and watched many get through it a whole lot easier by lying and cheating the system but what kind of example is that to set? It is the signing of 3 month leases, using fake addresses, asking the kid to help corroborate the lie, etc. that bothers me. This is just my opinion.

I believe that, like in your situation, most transfers (whether for athletic reasons or not) are done on the up and up, and by the rules. There are absolutely a few that do the shady things you described, but they are likely the exception, as opposed to the norm. And believe me, these things occur in non athletic based transfers as well. Yet, almost every transfer we here about on the site, the almost automatic assumption is that there's something not on the up and up about it.

Let me say, I don’t like it. Ideally, i wish every kid would stay in their respective school and feeder system but that just doesn’t happen.

I think it’s becoming the norm across the state for kids to seek the best opportunity. And I know the R-word is a bad word on BGP, but if everyone will be honest for a second, many programs have been doing it directly or indirectly for a while. Like in Louisville, it’s open season on middle school athletes. It’s rare for a kid to stay in their feeder. Trinity has been pooching top JCPS kids for a while and again, I’m not chastising but it’s the way it is.

I think programs around the state have wised up and started to consolidate or concentrate talent in their area to one particular school. I also think more programs are taking football serious and that means facilities, coaches, and players. Out in the state, feeder development is at an all time high. It has to be to compete with a Jefferson County school in a title game.

At the end of the day football is a dog eat dog game and business. The top dogs are eating feasts and we’ll find out how hungry the rest of the dogs are over the next few years

Let me say, I don’t like it. Ideally, i wish every kid would stay in their respective school and feeder system but that just doesn’t happen.

I think it’s becoming the norm across the state for kids to seek the best opportunity. And I know the R-word is a bad word on BGP, but if everyone will be honest for a second, many programs have been doing it directly or indirectly for a while. Like in Louisville, it’s open season on middle school athletes. It’s rare for a kid to stay in their feeder. Trinity has been pooching top JCPS kids for a while and again, I’m not chastising but it’s the way it is.

I think programs around the state have wised up and started to consolidate or concentrate talent in their area to one particular school. I also think more programs are taking football serious and that means facilities, coaches, and players. Out in the state, feeder development is at an all time high. It has to be to compete with a Jefferson County school in a title game.

At the end of the day football is a dog eat dog game and business. The top dogs are eating feasts and we’ll find out how hungry the rest of the dogs are over the next few years

When exactly does a student become a certain school’s property? You called Trinity out but I can assure you that more students leave the parochial system for high school then vice versa.

When exactly does a student become a certain school’s property? You called Trinity out but I can assure you that more students leave the parochial system for high school then vice versa.

I never said a kid was a schools property. I stated that I wished kids would stay in their feeder. I know that’s not realistic and I’m ok with it. I pointed out Trinity because it was the easiest example. Not hating, it’s just the way it is. Everyone else needs to step up their approach. Schools like BG have. All facets gotta be top notch.

I don’t have any idea how many transfer for non athletic reasons. But the number who do transfer for athletic reasons (or more accurately, those who play sports, since we don’t know why they all transfered) is posted in another post on this thread...632. Out of 80000 total student athletes. Or about .008% of the total student athlete population in the state. And you likely haven’t heard of most of that number. Sorry, but .008% isn’t a huge number or indicative of a problem that’s out of control, and certainly isn’t that big of a deal.

I would say if transfers were open and with no rules the number would be much, much, much higher. As with any case, there are rules, and exception to the rules where arguments can be made. However if the there were no guidelines for players transfers, it would be the wild, wild west and that wouldn't be good for HS athletics either.

Can you imagine a case where star player from team 1 gets eliminated early in playoff scenario and then transfers to cross town team who continues to win. Situations like that would get ugly.

I would say if transfers were open and with no rules the number would be much, much, much higher. As with any case, there are rules, and exception to the rules where arguments can be made. However if the there were no guidelines for players transfers, it would be the wild, wild west and that wouldn't be good for HS athletics either.

Can you imagine a case where star player from team 1 gets eliminated early in playoff scenario and then transfers to cross town team who continues to win. Situations like that would get ugly.

Obviously, there would have to be some rules. And in season transfers just to extend ones season, is an extreme, and far fetched example of what could go wrong, and something I don’t think should be allowed.

If coaches, teachers and administrators are allowed to go wherever they want to go at anytime then the students should be afforded that same luxury.

Apples to oranges. Would be a complete mess if this happened.

Apples to oranges. Would be a complete mess if this happened.

Not really. I have yet to meet a family who wanted to transfer their kid from one school to another and didn’t. People who want to transfer are going to do it and if they follow the rules they’ll be eligible immediately.

Not really. I have yet to meet a family who wanted to transfer their kid from one school to another and didn’t. People who want to transfer are going to do it and if they follow the rules they’ll be eligible immediately.

Key statement...."if they follow the rules". Most don't follow the rules because it typically involves a substantial change. Your original post indicated that they should be able to transfer anytime. By the way, there is nothing immediate about the process. It is cumbersome at best.

Key statement...."if they follow the rules". Most don't follow the rules because it typically involves a substantial change. Your original post indicated that they should be able to transfer anytime. By the way, there is nothing immediate about the process. It is cumbersome at best.

Do you really believe most don't follow the rules?? I find it hard to believe that most aren't following the rules. Because the process is cumbersome at best (your statement), I'd say most that are transferring are following the rules.