Transfers - Why does it bother you?

TheDeuce

It's easy to justify parents moving their gifted athletic children to top notch sports programs where academics are a high priority as well. I see it commented on all the time.......

However, to say that some parents don't move their children to a different school for sports reason only is crazy............ I personally know three families that moved their child, or children out of the Campbell County School System, which is ranked #11 in academics for public schools in Ky, to smaller schools that have no where near the academic offerings, just so, not as athletically gifted little Johnny and Susie could make a sports team...... As a parent, I just can't get my mind around this. but it happens....... Students do transfer strictly for sports, it's just easier to put a shine on it, if it's a top academic school they are transferring to. That being said, the better education opportunities are not a bad thing for these students moving to these better schools.

I agree with you 100 percent. A lot of times parents want to live through their kids. Want them to do the things they weren't talented enough to do or they just didn't get the chance to. So they are going to make sure little Johnny or Susie are going to play.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's easy to justify parents moving their gifted athletic children to top notch sports programs where academics are a high priority as well. I see it commented on all the time.......

However, to say that some parents don't move their children to a different school for sports reason only is crazy............ I personally know three families that moved their child, or children out of the Campbell County School System, which is ranked #11 in academics for public schools in Ky, to smaller schools that have no where near the academic offerings, just so, not as athletically gifted little Johnny and Susie could make a sports team...... As a parent, I just can't get my mind around this. but it happens....... Students do transfer strictly for sports, it's just easier to put a shine on it, if it's a top academic school they are transferring to. That being said, the better education opportunities are not a bad thing for these students moving to these better schools.

Entirely possible that you do not have all of the details. Moving from a large 6A school to a smaller school "just so.." may not tell the whole story for anyone.

It's easy to say that the reason was strictly athletics, but ultimately size does matter....at least to some.

Entirely possible that you do not have all of the details. Moving from a large 6A school to a smaller school "just so.." may not tell the whole story for anyone.

It's easy to say that the reason was strictly athletics, but ultimately size does matter....at least to some.

You're correct, there could be other reasons in some cases, but in these, I do know the story. The above families I mentioned, are friends of mine, and that was the reason what I was told by them. It is what it is. It's not out of the realm of possibility that students transfer just to play sports. In one instance it only lasted a year, and another instance 2 years, then they were back at Campbell County. Missing friends, and lack of AP classes offered became more important than playing sports is what I was told. The other stayed the entire four years, and played two sports....... As well, I doesn't matter to me what people choose to do. You do what you think is best for your child, who am I to judge you.

What is the total high school student figure?

About 534,000.

Kentucky High Schools

In 2015/16, about 80,000 played sports.

7/12/16 – KHSAA Participation Numbers Reach Record Levels In 215-16 | Kentucky High School Athletic Association

So roughly, transfers involve about .8% of the student athlete population. Someone tell me again how rampant the transfer problem currently is??

• 3 months later...
I agree with you 100 percent. A lot of times parents want to live through their kids. Want them to do the things they weren't talented enough to do or they just didn't get the chance to. So they are going to make sure little Johnny or Susie are going to play.

I dont think its living thru their kids I think it's more them trying to get their kids in a better opportunity to succeed

Edited by MyrtleA34
Typo

I dont think its living thru there's kids I think it's more them trying to get their kids in a better opportunity to succeed

No. The parent is the root cause. The parent thinks the grass is greener because little Johnny isn’t the starting RB because down deep he just isn’t as good. So daddy makes him leave his friends and go to another school where he can get to play or sit the bench because he isn’t good enough there either.

Parents or kids neither one want to compete. They want it given to them, self entitled.

• 2 weeks later...

So for those that are all for transfers and don't have any issues with them. How do you feel about a "student athlete " that transfers for one semester to play ball then transfers back to his original school to graduate? Are we good with this? Is this good for high school sports, good for the kid, good for either school?

So for those that are all for transfers and don't have any issues with them. How do you feel about a "student athlete " that transfers for one semester to play ball then transfers back to his original school to graduate? Are we good with this? Is this good for high school sports, good for the kid, good for either school?

So my question to you is high school sports about Kids? Adults can change jobs, non-sports playing kids can travel from school to school with no penalty.

If you have a kid that switches schools all the time then I say its up to the coach of those schools to decide if they want those type of kids playing on their teams.

I think what you are speaking of is an exception and not the norm.

Lets think about Logan Woodside. He left Anderson County because he wanted to play QB. Anderson County was a place that wouldn't allow that to occur (by the way not a knock on Coach Peach) He decides to transfer and had a change of address. His parents are divorced and had the ability to transfer. It worked out for him.

Why should other kids not be able to transfer to live out a dream? But don't have the ability to do it "By the rules"

Frankfort had a kid that transfer into them, that wanted to play QB. The parents attempted to go through the other school and seek their approval to allow the kid to transfer. For some reason the school didn't allow it. The kid was denied and had to sit out 5 games to meet "The Rule" The other school didn't want him. He wanted to Play QB. His parents could have rented an apartment and "Beat the rule" because they had the means. They didn't and the kid was punished because of ADULTS didn't think about the kid. Had he stayed at the other school he never would have played QB. Guess what this kid isn't going to the NFL or College for football. He one day will be a Heart surgeon. But because High School rules only protect Schools and Coaches this kid missed what few games he had left in his high school career.

When we will start thinking about kids?

Edited by CoachBuckett

I also have issue with KHSAA -

Parents and kids have no away to challenge the KHSAA to change their rules. Because only way rules are able to be brought forward is through a member school.

My question is why cant the public come before the board of controls and seek change? Why isn't there parent representation on the board of controls?

Its hard for parents to beat a system that is designed to only protect adults.