Top 10 High school players in KHSAA history

Guest fogdog.com

I did not say non-existent, I said limited. I only know what I know through guys that played then, and I did know that Thacker had, in fact, played in a state tournament (I did not know they won back to back regions), but the KHSAA only integrated in 1957 (and Grant won the 9th the following two years). I don't know what the schedules were like in 1958 and 1959; did integration mean that instantly Grant had a schedule of white 9th region opponents like Holmes, CovCath, NewCath, Highlands, Newport, Bellevue, Dayton, Ludlow, etc.? I honestly don't know. My comment was based partly on the lore of guys who played in the early and mid 50s who only played Grant in unofficial, unsanctioned games, and the fact that integration only took place while Thacker was in high school.

Thacker is a guy whose post high school career could put him in the discussion. If he was like Cowens, and bloomed after high school, then fine, don't include him in the discussion.

Sorry if the comment hit a nerve, and I wasn't there in the late 50s, but I assumed teams and leagues didn't go from totally segregated to totally integrated instantaneously, and that Thacker's high school accomplishments may have been marginalized as a result. I don't even know if he was a multiple year all-state, all-region performer, I don't know what his high school averages were, and I don't know if he was, or should have been, a candidate for Mr. Basketball. His post high school career indicates that perhaps he was, and my comment that his opportunities were "limited" is probably accurate.

Thacker was second team All-State as a junior and first team as a senior. He was 2 votes behind Pat Doyle for the honorary "Captain" spot on the Courier Journal First Team in 1959. In 3 years he was a 2,000 point scorer for Grant.

I would be interested to know if there were any pre-integration KHSAL players that also would have been in consideration as some of the state's best.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not say non-existent, I said limited. I only know what I know through guys that played then, and I did know that Thacker had, in fact, played in a state tournament (I did not know they won back to back regions), but the KHSAA only integrated in 1957 (and Grant won the 9th the following two years). I don't know what the schedules were like in 1958 and 1959; did integration mean that instantly Grant had a schedule of white 9th region opponents like Holmes, CovCath, NewCath, Highlands, Newport, Bellevue, Dayton, Ludlow, etc.? I honestly don't know. My comment was based partly on the lore of guys who played in the early and mid 50s who only played Grant in unofficial, unsanctioned games, and the fact that integration only took place while Thacker was in high school.

Thacker is a guy whose post high school career could put him in the discussion. If he was like Cowens, and bloomed after high school, then fine, don't include him in the discussion.

Sorry if the comment hit a nerve, and I wasn't there in the late 50s, but I assumed teams and leagues didn't go from totally segregated to totally integrated instantaneously, and that Thacker's high school accomplishments may have been marginalized as a result. I don't even know if he was a multiple year all-state, all-region performer, I don't know what his high school averages were, and I don't know if he was, or should have been, a candidate for Mr. Basketball. His post high school career indicates that perhaps he was, and my comment that his opportunities were "limited" is probably accurate.

Sorry but you didn't hit a nerve, but you spoke out on something you obviously knew nothing about, as the bold shows from your own words I don't know, I don't know and I don't know!. Thacker was a player and a very, very good one and yes I am sure Grant had trouble getting games but he did play in the District, he did play in the 9th Region and indeed he played in the Sweet Sixteen not just once but twice. I can't speak about his 9th and 10th grade years but in his 11th and 12th, he was something to see.

I'll agree that all of the names mentioned deserve consideration. I'll throw out one more as a complete "home court bias". Jimmy Dan Connor of Anderson Co was quite the player in leading AC to the 1971 finals and went on to a good career at UK and one season with the KY Colonels.

Another name that I haven't seen mentioned yet but was a beast in high school was Durand "Rudy" Macklin of Shawnee. Same for Charles Hurt of Shelby Co.

If you want to look at the top 10 players from Kentucky, based on pro careers you could also have an interesting list/discussion.

1. Wes Unseld (Seneca 1964)

2. Dave Cowens (Newport Catholic 1966)

3. Rajon Rondo (Eastern 2003)*

4. Cliff Hagan (Owensboro 1949)

5. Jeff Mullins (Lafayette 1960)

6. Allan Houston (Ballard 1989)

7. Darrell Griffith (Male 1976)

8. Frank Ramsey (Madisonville 1949)

9. Clem Haskins (Taylor Co 1963)

10. Rex Chapman (Apollo 1986)

*Rondo went to Oak Hill for his senior season in 2004.

A guy who might predate the KHSAA is Williamstown's very own, Arnie Risen.

A 1942 graduate, Risen played collegiate basketball at Ohio St. after transferring from Eastern Kentucky State Teacher's School in the fall of '43, leading the Buckeyes to consecutive Final Fours in 1944 & 1945.

He joined the Rochester Royals in 1948, a year prior to the Royals joining the young NBA. In his third season with Rochester, the Royals won the NBA Championship, Risen was selected to four consecutive All Star Games between 1951-55, before his contract was purchased by the Boston Celtics for the 1955-56 season.

At the end of the 1956-57 season, with a roster including Bob Cousy and rookie, Bill Russell, Risen picked up his second NBA title.

Risen was a member of the 1998 Naismith Hall of Fame class, headlined by fellow Celtics great, Larry Bird.

In my opinion, WHS should have his #17 jersey way up in the rafters by now, but the 20th anniversary of his enshrinement coming up might be a great opportunity to revisit the career of one of Williamstown and Kentucky basketball's finest.

Edited by SnottieDrippen

If you want to look at the top 10 players from Kentucky, based on pro careers you could also have an interesting list/discussion.

Butch Beard (Breckinridge County) might be in the top 10.

I would be interested to see how this lineup would compare to some other states historical NBA guys. It's actually not a bad starting 5, if maybe a tad undersized.

1. Rondo

2. Griffith

3. Houston

4. Unseld

5. Cowens

Does Dickie Beal fit this list? I don't know who I would replace, as I never saw any of the pre 2000s guys play, but I know in NKY there isn't a top player list without his name mentioned near top.

You guys are giving no credit at all to Chris Lofton and Darius Miller..

Lofton is the all time leading 3 point shooter in SEC history, Mr. Basketball, State Champion and if I recall correctly he was a 2nd team All American and SEC POY. (Not 100% on those last two)

Miller was a State Champion. Mr. Basketball, SEC tournament MVP, SEC 6th Man of the year, NCAA Champion, 3 time European Champion and 3 time MVP.

What more do they have to do? If Lofton was a few inches taller he'd be in the NBA without a doubt, you don't become the best shooter in SEC history by just being an average player.

I fail to understand how not necessarily considering them among the ten best ever to play in KHSAA is the same as no credit. No one denies they were great players and absolute legends. Thousands of kids play every single year and there have been hundreds of thousands (millions?) who have played in Kentucky. The top ten is an infinitesimal percent - there will be disagreements.