Guest fogdog.com

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Jake Ohmer

2. The Jake

3. Read #1 and #2

No, in all honesty if Jake would have hit that shot against BG an argument could be made that he had the single best 3 weeks in khsaa history.

My real list would include, Coleman, Unseld, Griffith, Farmer (bcos of what all he meant to the state of kentucky; not bcos he was a top 5 overall talent).

I don't know what kind of player he was at Carr Creek but Glen Combs played college at Virginia Tech and was drafted to the NBA in 1968. He didn't play NBA though, instead opting to play his entire career in the ABA. He played in three league All Star games and helped win one ABA championship in 1971 with the Utah Stars. He led the league in 3-point baskets made in'71-72 season. He scored 7,666 points in his pro career.

Generational problems abound, but just like with Cowens, Tom Thacker of Covington's William Grant High School went on to win an NCAA championship (Cincinnati), an ABA championship (Pacers), and an NBA Championship (Celtics), the only guy to ever pull off that feat. He may very well have been one of the 10 greatest high school talents ever in Kentucky (his post high school accomplishments would indicate that to be the case), but because of segregation issues I think his opportunity to play in the same leagues as white schools, or in the Sweet Sixteen, were limited. He should be in the discussion though.

Generational problems abound, but just like with Cowens, Tom Thacker of Covington's William Grant High School went on to win an NCAA championship (Cincinnati), an ABA championship (Pacers), and an NBA Championship (Celtics), the only guy to ever pull off that feat. He may very well have been one of the 10 greatest high school talents ever in Kentucky (his post high school accomplishments would indicate that to be the case), but because of segregation issues I think his opportunity to play in the same leagues as white schools, or in the Sweet Sixteen, were limited. He should be in the discussion though.

The Bold is not true at all!

Covington Grant won the Ninth Region and Thacker went on to play in the Sweet Sixteen in the following years.

Thacker, Tom Porter

Birth Year : 1939

Born in Covington, KY, Tom P. Thacker played basketball at William Grant High School there from 1955 to 1959. The 6'2" guard/forward scored 36 points in his final game, a loss to Olive Hill during the state high school tournament.

Won the Ninth Region while Thacker attended and played

1958 Covington Grant

1959 Covington Grant