Jake Ohmer commits to WKU

Chance he just got overlooked then because of his size or just didn't get many shots?

I was fortunate to have one son play for Coach Price and another coach under Coach Price. I also spent two years as an assistant under Coach Price on the circuit.

Coach Price is what is right about AAU. Very demanding of his players. You run his system and you are held accountable on both ends of the floor. Very fair as far as PT but also competes to win.

College coaches make it a point to watch his teams compete because it is very structured and the players are coached hard. I can tell you that during an NCAA event Coach Price's phone does not stop ringing.

If you play hard for Coach Price and do what is expected you generally get the opportunity to play at the next level. I can also guarantee you that Coach Price does not care if you got "enough" shots

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think in the coming years it is going to be even more surprising that so many missed the boat on Jake. He does play some during the summer, but he really commits himself to baseball for a large part of that time.

I am not a D1 coach or recruiter, but I think there were plenty of signs of what Jake was and is capable of, and I will not be surprised if he becomes a lights out scorer at the D1 level. So many of his high school statistics were dismissed because of his size, his team, his region, etc. In many instances, I'd say those kinds of criticisms are legit, but not with Jake. In high level AAU ball, when he plays, he usually is the team's leading scorer, even if his role is to run the offense and create opportunities for others because of his passing ability. The kid is a gamer, deceptively athletic, a great shooter with a high motor and a high basketball IQ. He is also an intense competitor. Somehow, all of those attributes got overlooked because he happens to be 5'11". I would be willing to bet that in a couple of years WKU is happy they elected to be the nonconformists and gave him a chance.

The kid played his butt off at the right time in front of the right people. This is the essence of AAU basketball. BUT it should not be lost that WKU had the spot open and Jake took advantage of it. A lot of kids in the 2017 class have already signed their LOI or can't qualify. I've been on this site for a minute and I see a lot of Jake Ohmer related info; so he must have been playing well throughout his career. Was WKU the only in-state mid major at the tourney watching the games. Morehead, Murray, EKU, NKU. No knock but I think it's a fair question, why no previous offers?

I think in the coming years it is going to be even more surprising that so many missed the boat on Jake. He does play some during the summer, but he really commits himself to baseball for a large part of that time.

I am not a D1 coach or recruiter, but I think there were plenty of signs of what Jake was and is capable of, and I will not be surprised if he becomes a lights out scorer at the D1 level. So many of his high school statistics were dismissed because of his size, his team, his region, etc. In many instances, I'd say those kinds of criticisms are legit, but not with Jake. In high level AAU ball, when he plays, he usually is the team's leading scorer, even if his role is to run the offense and create opportunities for others because of his passing ability. The kid is a gamer, deceptively athletic, a great shooter with a high motor and a high basketball IQ. He is also an intense competitor. Somehow, all of those attributes got overlooked because he happens to be 5'11". I would be willing to bet that in a couple of years WKU is happy they elected to be the nonconformists and gave him a chance.

I am not discounting what you are saying. I am as big a Scott booster as anyone and have known Jake basically his whole life. I went so far as to make calls to multiple D2 coaches that I know very well to watch him last summer. I thought he was criminally under recruited but honestly I only projected him to be a D2 caliber player so I too missed the boat!

I just think it is unfair to throw NKU under the proverbial boat when I know there were multiple D1 & D2 schools who watched him last summer. I don't know how much he played in the April certified events due to high school baseball but am fairly confident he played in the July events. The Shining Star organization and specifically Coach Price do a great job getting players an opportunity even though they are not in a "shoe" league.

I think it's a fair question to ask where those coaches were.... with the amount of money spent in recruiting I find it astonishing that no program really took interest in Jake or did a cursory check to see what his numbers are about. If I'm an AD at the local schools and my program has been marginable or struggling at the gate, I have a coaching staff that has some explaining to do.

I am not discounting what you are saying. I am as big a Scott booster as anyone and have known Jake basically his whole life. I went so far as to make calls to multiple D2 coaches that I know very well to watch him last summer. I thought he was criminally under recruited but honestly I only projected him to be a D2 caliber player so I too missed the boat!

I just think it is unfair to throw NKU under the proverbial boat when I know there were multiple D1 & D2 schools who watched him last summer. I don't know how much he played in the April certified events due to high school baseball but am fairly confident he played in the July events. The Shining Star organization and specifically Coach Price do a great job getting players an opportunity even though they are not in a "shoe" league.

Excellent Post!! WKU saw somethings they really liked and decided to give him a shot. Schools like NKU had questions on him and decided against giving Jake a scholarship. Recruiting is an art not a science.

khalil iverson wisconsin

Look him up from my HS

Under sized not recruited much

Bad grades...

Kid can flat out play...

Was found at Ohio HS state tourney by Wisconsin head coach and offered him on the spot after his team lost...

very similar to Jake's issues

The kid played his butt off at the right time in front of the right people. This is the essence of AAU basketball. BUT it should not be lost that WKU had the spot open and Jake took advantage of it. A lot of kids in the 2017 class have already signed their LOI or can't qualify. I've been on this site for a minute and I see a lot of Jake Ohmer related info; so he must have been playing well throughout his career. Was WKU the only in-state mid major at the tourney watching the games. Morehead, Murray, EKU, NKU. No knock but I think it's a fair question, why no previous offers?

Murray State rarely recruits in state. Very frustrating.

I think it's a fair question to ask where those coaches were.... with the amount of money spent in recruiting I find it astonishing that no program really took interest in Jake or did a cursory check to see what his numbers are about. If I'm an AD at the local schools and my program has been marginable or struggling at the gate, I have a coaching staff that has some explaining to do.

The biggest fallacy in college sports is that recruiting local kids has any effect on gate or budget. The casual fan might go to one or two games to follow a player they remember from high school but not enough to make any significant difference. Family members make up most of that players following and by the time they swing the free tickets probably a break even for the program.

The biggest fallacy in college sports is that recruiting local kids has any effect on gate or budget. The casual fan might go to one or two games to follow a player they remember from high school but not enough to make any significant difference. Family members make up most of that players following and by the time they swing the free tickets probably a break even for the program.

Really? Of all the things that is "the biggest fallacy" ?

NKU missed the boat on The Jake, but can still capitalize on him. The Norse and WKU need to agree to a 4-year series (two in Bowling Green and two at NKU). Let's see how many fans turn out for Jake when he comes to call at NKU. I would even pay to see this.