Jake Ohmer commits to WKU

Are you talking about local college AD and coaches ?

Local colleges.....

I'm not buying the "no scholarship available" comment because this kid should have been on their radar last year. He was not

All this does for the Norse now is put tremendous preassure on the coaching staff. If Jake goes on to have a successful career at WKU and NKU falters and ticket sales aren't where they should be, then questions should be asked about their recruiting practices. Maybe this works out for all

I can tell you this much, Jake is fun to watch and I would have been at NKU to watch just as I do the other local boys on the roster now. Without that local connection, I don't have an interest. I'll stay home and watch UK

I think that's the danger for NKU.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Local colleges.....

I'm not buying the "no scholarship available" comment because this kid should have been on their radar last year. He was not

All this does for the Norse now is put tremendous preassure on the coaching staff. If Jake goes on to have a successful career at WKU and NKU falters and ticket sales aren't where they should be, then questions should be asked about their recruiting practices. Maybe this works out for all

I can tell you this much, Jake is fun to watch and I would have been at NKU to watch just as I do the other local boys on the roster now. Without that local connection, I don't have an interest. I'll stay home and watch UK

I think that's the danger for NKU.

As a season ticket holder at NKU, I don't give a flip where the players went to high school. Get the best kids you can find.

So far, the new staff has acquitted themselves quite nicely.

Here is what this comes down to, and what college coaches must have debated a lot. How good is Jake Ohmer? Is he a great high school scorer who is undersized and under-athleted for the D1 college game, or is he the exceptional 6 foot kid who is quick enough and athletic enough that has an intangible IQ and drive that will allow him to succeed at the next level? I think my answer is yes to the latter but we will have to wait and see. This might be blasphemous, but wasn't Jake's performance in the state tournament more impressive than Dominique Hawkins' was a few years ago?

As a season ticket holder at NKU, I don't give a flip where the players went to high school. Get the best kids you can find.

I agree regarding the staff. I do find it more entertaining to have the history of the local kids and how they stack up at next level. If I want to watch high level ball then I'm at UC, XAVIER or UK

But in the end it's all about $$$$ so your u better put butts in the seats

Here is what this comes down to, and what college coaches must have debated a lot. How good is Jake Ohmer? Is he a great high school scorer who is undersized and under-athleted for the D1 college game, or is he the exceptional 6 foot kid who is quick enough and athletic enough that has an intangible IQ and drive that will allow him to succeed at the next level? I think my answer is yes to the latter but we will have to wait and see. This might be blasphemous, but wasn't Jake's performance in the state tournament more impressive than Dominique Hawkins' was a few years ago?

Absolutely Jakes performance was better than Hawkins. I will even say that Jake is a a better player at the same point in their careers

I will also say this.... if the staff is not doing a better job of kicking over every rock to find the hidden gems. They may be in for a rude awakening in a few years. That's why I'm astonished they didn't notice this kid 5 minutes from their house

Has anyone on this site considered that maybe he has poor grades in core class requirements or a low act score which caused D1 and D2 schools to back off recruiting him. Not saying this is the case but it could be a reason.

Also, if he was lighting up the AAU circuit it is hard to believe he wouldn't have a had a D1 or D2 offer unless there was something outside of basketball. So not sure how well he played in the summer or maybe he didn't play much due to baseball. Also, some schools might have backed off recruiting him thinking he was going to play baseball.

Edited by Northside

I agree regarding the staff. I do find it more entertaining to have the history of the local kids and how they stack up at next level. If I want to watch high level ball then I'm at UC, XAVIER or UK

But in the end it's all about $$$$ so your u better put butts in the seats

Who says John Brannen isn't trying to bring "high level ball" to NKU? Maybe that's why he never offered.

Doesnt matter what you said. What is 100% accurate is Jake came out ahead in the end. NKU's loss is WKU's gain.

If Jake wants to go to WKU then great, he did come out ahead. If you are going to compare the two basketball programs, might want to re think that.

Reading this thread is 15 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

Is Jake Ohmer talented enough to play at NKU? I'd say yes, but he wasn't a position of need for the program in the 2017 cycle and that isn't his fault.

It isn't an indictment on the coach that just won the Horizon League tournament and played Kentucky in a single digit game in the NCAA Tournament. I'd say the evidence shows that a team with one of the youngest rosters in the country has been scouted and evaluated at a pretty damn high level.

I've called a handful of Ohmer's games over the years, and he is a D1 level talent. He will get the chance to showcase that at WKU, and that's a big time accomplishment.

You can be happy for both and not show your rear end trying to stir up crap on a message board. Promise...