Jake Ohmer commits to WKU

I just wonder what his scholarship list looks like for baseball, if it has any offers from Northern Kentucky,Xavier,etc.? I also think he should have chosen baseball, he was real good a couple of years back when saw him in regional and state tournament.

Don't know what the reasons are going to be behind his decision wherever he ends up going. But basketball scholarship money is A LOT better than baseball scholarship money. Could play a big part in it.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reminds me a little of a situation a guy I played with and against had, Delino Deshields (current manager for the Louisville Bats). He was a great basketball player in HS, and had a full ride to play basketball at Villanova. Then the Expos drafted him #9 and he took the money and ran. Obviously Delino was a little higher level in both sports. But college baseball was never even a consideration for him at any point because of the lack of money available in college baseball.

If hoops doesn't work out, he could always give baseball another shot.

Congratulations to Jake, a true gamer for sure. Baseball might be his SPORT, but what ppl don't realize is college baseball has very few full rides available no matter what division. Was friends with a kid who went to Louisville to play baseball and was amazed when he told me only about 10 players had FULL rides. Everybody else was divided up so they each could get some scholarship money. If basketball is a full ride, my bet is, THAT just became his sport:thumb:

It's even less than that. D1 schools get the equivalent of 11.7 schollys to give out. D2 gets 9. No one gets a "full" baseball ride. Most guys get 1/4 and hopefully they've got the grades to get additional money, or the rest gets made up with grants or loans. It's certainly something that any really good two sport athlete that plays baseball has to consider, and it's why many who get drafted out of high school make the jump and bypass college.

Further to some of the comments above...

At the DI level, very few get full rides in any sport other than Basketball, or Football, I believe that these two are the only ones that are done by head count. Simply put, if you get a scholly in these sports, it is a full ride.

As for the amount of scholarships available in other sports, the numbers are much less and they are typically awarded as rjs4470 states. These numbers are set as maximums by the NCAA, if programs are not fully funded by the schools these numbers will be even less.

Reminds me a little of a situation a guy I played with and against had, Delino Deshields (current manager for the Louisville Bats). He was a great basketball player in HS, and had a full ride to play basketball at Villanova. Then the Expos drafted him #9 and he took the money and ran. Obviously Delino was a little higher level in both sports. But college baseball was never even a consideration for him at any point because of the lack of money available in college baseball.

If hoops doesn't work out, he could always give baseball another shot.

Is he good enough in baseball to be drafted and high enough to forego the schools to WKU and go the baseball minor league route?

Is he good enough in baseball to be drafted and high enough to forego the schools to WKU and go the baseball minor league route?

Is he draftable?? Yes. Right now, I don't think he'd go very high if he did get drafted at all. Being draftable doesnt mean you'll get drafted. That could change a little depending on how this season plays out. But I don't see him as a high draft pick (sometime in the top 10-12 rounds) regardless of how this season plays out.

Baseball will be his Sport...

Verbal to WKU means nothing

until you sign on the dotted line...

Obviously he got a better offer than College of the Cumberlands so that verbal means nothing. Someone mentioned the "fit". Had WKU been recruiting him prior to this past weekend? Has he visited the school?

Baseball will be his Sport...

Verbal to WKU means nothing

until you sign on the dotted line...

Well he did tweet a picture of the basketball court with a basketball emoji beside his tweet. I think it's basketball for sure and baseball is undecided yet. Calling it first though, Jake Ohmer hits a walk-off vs. Campbell County to win the Region!

Well he did tweet a picture of the basketball court with a basketball emoji beside his tweet. I think it's basketball for sure and baseball is undecided yet. Calling it first though, Jake Ohmer hits a walk

:lol2: good stuff Brooksville and very possible! I've said it before and I'll say it again....have fun young man and make a difference wherever you end up!!!

If he is truly the gifted athlete he can rule out the NBA but would have had a slim chance at mlb. I'm sure parents helped him but I swear there isn't much need for a 6 foot guard in DI basketball anymore, kids like him are a dime a dozen in AAU circuit.

I wish him the absolute best.

Well he did tweet a picture of the basketball court with a basketball emoji beside his tweet. I think it's basketball for sure and baseball is undecided yet. Calling it first though, Jake Ohmer hits a walk-off vs. Campbell County to win the Region!

Ill take that bet. Got to play baseball to hit it.