Jake Ohmer commits to WKU

Baseball doesn't pay for college and baseball will still be an option after basketball is over. In fact, he can play basketball at WKU all 4 years and if I am not mistaken he can play baseball for 1 year at WKU. George Fant played basketball for WKU for 4 years, played 1 year of football after basketball was over and is now an offensive lineman for the Seattle Seahawks. Greg Paulus played basketball for Duke for 4 years and then went to Syracuse and played 1 year of football there. Good to see you wish him the absolute best even though your post reeks of second guessing his choice despite you not knowing all available options.

Forgive me, I keep forgetting you and most other folks on here know more than the actual basketball coaches making these offers.

We all sat here an were amazed that he didn't get any offers other than Cumberland. No D2 offers and now a D1 offer appears and he commits. What do these coaches know that we don't? If he never played summer ball I get it. The kid is a beast and I've seen him terrorize every team he has played against for the last 2-3 years. Still shocked he has only received the 2 that we know of. I wish him the best and can't wait to see the success I'm sure he will have.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all sat here an were amazed that he didn't get any offers other than Cumberland. No D2 offers and now a D1 offer appears and he commits. What do these coaches know that we don't? If he never played summer ball I get it. The kid is a beast and I've seen him terrorize every team he has played against for the last 2-3 years. Still shocked he has only received the 2 that we know of. I wish him the best and can't wait to see the success I'm sure he will have.

The fact that we don't even know if he played summer ball should tell you plenty. He played in front of Rick Stansbury for 3 games and Rick liked what he saw enough to offer him. Seems to me like the right opportunity to show his worth is something that didn't happen enough in the past. In order to be seen by coaches like a Rick Stansbury he needed to be playing for Louisville Magic, Hoop Dreams or the Travelers last year. Those were the shoe teams. If he wasn't on any of those teams then he had very few opportunities to play in front of D1 coaches. Also keep in mind that at that time he wanted to play both baseball and basketball. That makes a difference too. I'll also add that Chris Lofton proved that coaches miss sometimes. I'm still going to follow the lead of the folks that get paid to evaluate talent.

The fact that we don't even know if he played summer ball should tell you plenty. He played in front of Rick Stansbury for 3 games and Rick liked what he saw enough to offer him. Seems to me like the right opportunity to show his worth is something that didn't happen enough in the past. In order to be seen by coaches like a Rick Stansbury he needed to be playing for Louisville Magic, Hoop Dreams or the Travelers last year. Those were the shoe teams. If he wasn't on any of those teams then he had very few opportunities to play in front of D1 coaches. Also keep in mind that at that time he wanted to play both baseball and basketball. That makes a difference too. I'll also add that Chris Lofton proved that coaches miss sometimes. I'm still going to follow the lead of the folks that get paid to evaluate talent.

Agreed. If we can't name his AAU team, odds are, not a lot of coaches saw him. I'd assume it's because his summer loyalties were split between the diamond and the court.

Agreed. If we can't name his AAU team, odds are, not a lot of coaches saw him. I'd assume it's because his summer loyalties were split between the diamond and the court.

I was thinking the same thing about time being split between the two sports. Everyone raves about how good he is in baseball so I'd imagine that he spent a fair amount of time on the diamond since that could of have been his focus last year. I'm more surprised that he wasn't on a shoe team last summer but again, that may not have been his focus a year ago.

I was thinking the same thing about time being split between the two sports. Everyone raves about how good he is in baseball so I'd imagine that he spent a fair amount of time on the diamond since that could of have been his focus last year. I'm more surprised that he wasn't on a shoe team last summer but again, that may not have been his focus a year ago.

This is not a criticism by me, i love the kid-- but I do know that he's slimmed down some too. I think maybe part of the issue previously might have been quickness. Maybe this year he was a few steps quicker and caught a few people by surprise?

Actually played AAU for Shining Star out of Cincinnati and Coach Mike Price. Coach Price is one of the most respected coaches on the circuit and I can guarantee he played in front of every D2 school in the GLIAC and GLVC and most of the mid-majors in the mid-west. Team had players who committed to D1 and D2 school.

Actually played AAU for Shining Star out of Cincinnati and Coach Mike Price. Coach Price is one of the most respected coaches on the circuit and I can guarantee he played in front of every D2 school in the GLIAC and GLVC and most of the mid-majors in the mid-west. Team had players who committed to D1 and D2 school.

Chance he just got overlooked then because of his size or just didn't get many shots?

I just wonder what his scholarship list looks like for baseball, if it has any offers from Northern Kentucky,Xavier,etc.? I also think he should have chosen baseball, he was real good a couple of years back when saw him in regional and state tournament.

Keep in mind very few baseball players get a full ride for baseball.