Jake Ohmer commits to WKU

It's not rocket-science, I swear.

You can't offer scholarships that aren't available. Going into this season NKU had one scholarship available for next year. They have Cobb, Faulkner, Holland, Tate, and Maxwell returning at the guard spot. They needed size. They decided to focus their sole scholly on addressing that need.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not rocket-science, I swear.

You can't offer scholarships that aren't available. Going into this season NKU had one scholarship available for next year. They have Cobb, Faulkner, Holland, Tate, and Maxwell returning at the guard spot. They needed size. They decided to focus their sole scholly on addressing that need.

I get the feeling some wanted him to walk on there,pay for first year and earn the scholly when it becomes available just to not leave the area. Who's to say he wouldn't transfer to NKU at the right time(scholarship becomes available), when Stansbury leaves(which will happen),probably after the next coming year if WKU makes a good run

Recruiting is also a two way street. All this talk about whether Northern should have recruited him is all moot if he didn't want to go there in the first place (which I have no idea whether he did or didn't). For whatever reason, he's not at NKU. Both will be fine.

Recruiting is also a two way street. All this talk about whether Northern should have recruited him is all moot if he didn't want to go there in the first place (which I have no idea whether he did or didn't). For whatever reason, he's not at NKU. Both will be fine.

Great point. Most young people have always felt the full college experience includes going away from the home nest. Would not be surprised, had NKU offered that WKU might have had a leg-up from that perspective.

Let's just step back and think that if he doesn't get that roll on the rim to fall in this isn't even a discussion.

Sounds like the 10th Region Basketball god's looked down on the Fieldhouse that night and said "this kid should get better than Cumberlands!"

One shot changed his life.

Excellent Post!! WKU saw somethings they really liked and decided to give him a shot. Schools like NKU had questions on him and decided against giving Jake a scholarship. Recruiting is an art not a science.

How long was WKU in the picture? They didn'offer until the after the State Tourney, so they couldn't have been too sold before that.

I've stated numerous times that NKY missed out on Ohmer...so when WKU signed him once again the Norse missed out.

I guessed you missed the point that they had no scholarships available. The future will determine if they missed out. The same thing was said about the kid from Augusta who scored a million points in high school but plays about 10 minutes a game at Bellarmine. As was mentioned no one else was knocking his door down, so it just wasn't NKU. THis is no knock on Ohmer just a statement of fact.

Here is what this comes down to, and what college coaches must have debated a lot. How good is Jake Ohmer? Is he a great high school scorer who is undersized and under-athleted for the D1 college game, or is he the exceptional 6 foot kid who is quick enough and athletic enough that has an intangible IQ and drive that will allow him to succeed at the next level? I think my answer is yes to the latter but we will have to wait and see. This might be blasphemous, but wasn't Jake's performance in the state tournament more impressive than Dominique Hawkins' was a few years ago?

And Hawkins wasn't even considered by UK until the state tourney. The same as Ohmer, no one was knocking down his door before that that I know of.

I agree regarding the staff. I do find it more entertaining to have the history of the local kids and how they stack up at next level. If I want to watch high level ball then I'm at UC, XAVIER or UK

But in the end it's all about $$$$ so your u better put butts in the seats

Putting butts in the seats is about WINNING, and apparently NKU didn't think Ohmer would help do that so they passed. I guess I just trust what college coaches think more than local fans who are biased. Time will tell.

Putting butts in the seats is about WINNING, and apparently NKU didn't think Ohmer would help do that so they passed. I guess I just trust what college coaches think more than local fans who are biased. Time will tell.

They have no scholarships available.

Has anyone on this site considered that maybe he has poor grades in core class requirements or a low act score which caused D1 and D2 schools to back off recruiting him. Not saying this is the case but it could be a reason.

Also, if he was lighting up the AAU circuit it is hard to believe he wouldn't have a had a D1 or D2 offer unless there was something outside of basketball. So not sure how well he played in the summer or maybe he didn't play much due to baseball. Also, some schools might have backed off recruiting him thinking he was going to play baseball.

I would think the baseball factor was very big.

A two way street... This is what I have been thinking while reading this entire thread. Who knows, maybe he did have some discussions with NKU at some point and time and there might not have been mutual interest. If so, no reason for them to pursue him, even if they were interested.

I have been through the recruiting process, many people seem to forget that there are two parties that must be in agreement. Another important factor that seems to be dismissed is just because someone might give you a better offer, it might not be the best fit for the player, or at all what the player is looking for.

Let's just step back and think that if he doesn't get that roll on the rim to fall in this isn't even a discussion.

Sounds like the 10th Region Basketball god's looked down on the Fieldhouse that night and said "this kid should get better than Cumberlands!"

One shot changed his life.

It got him in position, but I think even with how he played in the 1st round Sweet 16 game, if Scott loses, he's still going to Cumberlands. It took the entire 3 games to get that WKU offer. I'll even say, if he didn't play like the way he did against BG in the semis, he's still going to Cumberlands. I would be shocked if he's not at NKU after this upcoming red shirt year(supposedly). Coaches Stansbury(WKU) and Brannen(NKU) will both be elsewhere in 1-2 years max

You just totally contradicted yourself with post 143 and 145.

The point I have been trying to make is that he should have been on their radar. That is a miss. Period. If he was on their radar then he may of had a scholarship available or at least some conversations. I find it hard to believe be a coaching staff does not recognize a kid that talented 5 minutes from their campus. That's a little alarming for me regarding NKU staff

Does NKU have anyone committed for 2018? Weird if they do. See how that works?

This is in no way a shot at any 2018 commitment. Just sayin