Everything posted by 4pointplay
-
NKAC - Should it end?
I think it helps with scheduling and gives schools an opportunity to compete for a title in addition to the districts and regionals. No problem with it's current format
-
Open Job: Holmes
I had two kids play for Coach Carr and that equates to close to 200 games I had a front row seat. Since you used the iceberg analogy here is what lies below the water. Coach Carr regularly kept kids at Scott who needed basketball more than basketball needed them. He engaged these kids where it would have been easier to cut ties. The majority of these kids would have never made it to graduation without Coach Carr and the basketball program. More often than not these were kids who didn't make headlines on the court or blow up a boxscore. Coach Carr regularly kept kids who would not have made the team at any other school in the area because they were really good kids and he felt they elevated the program in ways other than basketball. What lies beneath the water is much more significant than the tip of the iceberg that you mentioned and not in the direction you are pointing. If Coach Carr wants to coach again I would hope that whomever is looking at your iceberg looks below that waterline.
-
Homer officiating
Assignor has way more power than you are giving credit. Ultimately determines who gets games. Games get pulled if officials screw up and it affects future assignments. They also play a large role in who works postseason. Every coach at the high school level knows the chain of command if they have an issue with an official or their performance. I am confused when you say no one to call? Is that from a fans perspective? Why would any fan/parent feel they have the right to call local assignor or KHSAA regarding an officials performance? As I mentioned earlier high school coaches and AD's are very aware of who they need to contact. As far as organizations locally Northern Kentucky Baseball Umpires Association, Northern Kentucky Softball Umpires Association, Bluegrass Basketball & 9th Region Basketball Officials. Those are just off the top of my head for our area?
-
Homer officiating
Pardon the pun but you are just lobbing up softballs here..... Every official who is working a high school sport in Kentucky is required to belong to that sports association within that region. Each association holds a certain number of meetings/training that you are required to attend to stay in good standing. If you are not in good standing you are not getting games. If you are not taking the Part 2 test annually you are probably not moving up with your organization within that sport and will definitely not be doing post season. Even a first year official who has just taken the Part 1 test is required to join the local association and attend meetings/training before they are assigned games.
-
Homer officiating
Officials are held accountable. The assignors go out and review the umpires work and constructive feedback is always welcome from the coaches to the assignor. Officials in all HS sports are required to attend a certain number of training/meetings in the offseason. They are required to take the state provided tests regarding the rules and view mandatory online clinics from the state. Officials in most sports also have the opportunity to attend clinics in the off season on their own dime to continue to improve. Coaches also have the opportunity to rank officials at the end of every season. Those rankings play a large part in who works postseason. The interesting part of that is how low the percentage of coaches actually send in their rankings. Different in every sport and every association but it is consistently a lower number than you would anticipate. In addition to an officials real job and other family commitments where do you propose everyone finds the time for your additional training and conventions? I don't know of anyone who is getting rich officiating high school sports. Easy to toss around words like "oversight committee" and "accountability" but what is a real life solution?
-
Covington Catholic's Aiden Ruthsatz commits
Great school and Coach Nienaber is as good as it gets at the D2 level. Shouldn't have a problem finding a ride to and from school!
-
Jake Ohmer commits to WKU
Okay! you got me! One of the biggest fallacy,,, And if you follow the NKU post not too far from the top....
-
Jake Ohmer commits to WKU
The biggest fallacy in college sports is that recruiting local kids has any effect on gate or budget. The casual fan might go to one or two games to follow a player they remember from high school but not enough to make any significant difference. Family members make up most of that players following and by the time they swing the free tickets probably a break even for the program.
-
Jake Ohmer commits to WKU
I am not discounting what you are saying. I am as big a Scott booster as anyone and have known Jake basically his whole life. I went so far as to make calls to multiple D2 coaches that I know very well to watch him last summer. I thought he was criminally under recruited but honestly I only projected him to be a D2 caliber player so I too missed the boat! I just think it is unfair to throw NKU under the proverbial boat when I know there were multiple D1 & D2 schools who watched him last summer. I don't know how much he played in the April certified events due to high school baseball but am fairly confident he played in the July events. The Shining Star organization and specifically Coach Price do a great job getting players an opportunity even though they are not in a "shoe" league.
-
Jake Ohmer commits to WKU
I was fortunate to have one son play for Coach Price and another coach under Coach Price. I also spent two years as an assistant under Coach Price on the circuit. Coach Price is what is right about AAU. Very demanding of his players. You run his system and you are held accountable on both ends of the floor. Very fair as far as PT but also competes to win. College coaches make it a point to watch his teams compete because it is very structured and the players are coached hard. I can tell you that during an NCAA event Coach Price's phone does not stop ringing. If you play hard for Coach Price and do what is expected you generally get the opportunity to play at the next level. I can also guarantee you that Coach Price does not care if you got "enough" shots
-
Jake Ohmer commits to WKU
Actually played AAU for Shining Star out of Cincinnati and Coach Mike Price. Coach Price is one of the most respected coaches on the circuit and I can guarantee he played in front of every D2 school in the GLIAC and GLVC and most of the mid-majors in the mid-west. Team had players who committed to D1 and D2 school.
-
Jake Ohmer commits to WKU
2 returning guards one who played 20+ minutes and other played consistent 10 mpg. Transfer from Buffalo who was starter under Hurley there and is a really good player. Two guards signed previously in the 2017 class, one considered a Top 50 recruit and the other Mr Kentucky Basketball. Roster was a disaster when Stansbury came in to the job and he picked up some "up transfers" who were eligible immediately and the transfer from Buffalo who had to sit a year. /
-
The Jake
Ben Lye was a great player at Scott and Matricia was just freakishly athletic as a big. Jesse Jett and Jon Campbell were guards from a while back. I think it was Chris Haynes who had the big dunk to seal the game against Holy Cross and send Scott to state. Had some issues while at Scott and most Scott fans remember the moment more than the player.
-
The Jake
I go back a long way with Scott basketball and have always felt they needed to do more to recognize past players. Not just Kellen and Jake from their most recent past but players like Chris Thompson, Kyle Howard and way way back Kelly James and quite a few in between
-
The Jake
- The Jake
And the majority of his recruiting was based on what he had done on the AAU/NCAA Certified events not based on the numbers he put up at Caverna. He played on teams a "notch" above what Jake played for during the summer events to use your vernacular. Playing college basketball at any level is hard and a lot of freshmen stats suffer in the transition. Not really a fair comparison to throw Faulkner's shooting numbers as a freshmen as to what Ohmer did at the state tourney. College coaches will tell you the best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores. The Jake rode a serious heater and may ultimately end up at the D1 level but just not at NKU.- 10th Region Tournament Preview
As a casual fan I would prefer the games be at NKU. Live in Northern Kentucky and the arena is fantastic and can't beat it's proximity. My kid's played in the Fieldhouse, Montgomery Co and NKU as participants in the 10th Region tourney. I enjoyed regionals in each of those locations but as a parent you don't mind making those drives. I enjoyed the week where the 9th & 10th were hosted at NKU the most just because you had high school tournament basketball every night of the week and it was 10 minutes from my house. However, there is something about the Fieldhouse with all of it's history when it is sold out and rocking- 10th Region Tournament Preview
I have seats in the Presidents box for tomorrow night but somehow you will end up in the floor seats trumping my seat location! Go Bucs!- 10th Region Tournament Preview
Same here! School I supported is in the 10th and as much as I support and still root for them not making the drive to Mason Co. Will be at BB&T for multiple dates for 9th Region Tourney.- Fox19 Piece On Scott's Jake Ohmer
I always find it interesting when we make the jump that a player is a "high major D2". I think that undersells how good you have to be to play at the D2 level. To get a scholarship offer at the D2 level you have to be a really good player. To get minutes at that level you have to be really, really good. The truth about recruiting is that you are who recruits you. It only takes one D1 coaching staff to love you and make an offer and you are a legit D1 player. Same for D2. There are 300+ D1 schools and 250+ D2 schools. I guarantee there are D1 & D2 schools where Ohmer could play. However recruiting oftentimes is about system fit, scholarship availability, academics, etc. The system isn't perfect and there are many examples of players who could have succeeded at higher levels. As I have said on this board many times D2 is legit. People tend to get caught up in points scored instead of projecting how the total player projects at the next level. There are 3 recent examples of from this area that might show why Ohmer isn't getting the offers. Nick Ruthsatz, CovCath's all time leading scorer at least for another week or two and state tourney MVP is in his junior year at Findlay and has struggled with consistent playing time. These have not been the great Findlay teams of the past. Findlay has not made the NCAA in his time there. Brent Bach from Augusta scored 2000+ points but has struggled to find consistent playing time at Bellarmine. Bellarmine has been very good during his time there with multiple NCAA trips. Brandon Hatton from Dixie Heights transferred from Vermont to D2 Kentucky Wesleyn. He is the all time leading scorer in the 9th Region with over 3000 points. He is averaging 16 mpg at KWC in a really bad D2 conference. If you take out the blowouts the mpg is closer to 10 mpg. The one constant is that when each of these players committed to the D2 level the BGP community talked how they were "under-recruited" " a steal for those respective programs" and "Why didn't NKU offer". I thnk most on the site thought each of those players would be at a minimum an All Conference type of player at the D2 level. Not a knock on any of these players or on Jake Ohmer. As I mentioned earlier you have to be really, really good to be a scholarship player at the D2 level. I think Ohmer plays at the next level. Not sure what level? If he wants to play and play early D3 or NAIA. And yes for the NAIA guys out there I know i just undersold the many really, really good NAIA programs in Ky. Lol- Scott 62 Simon Kenton 50
Don't know how current info is but Cincinnati Christian has offered- Simon Kenton 2016/2017
Never been a believer that stats tell the whole story. Have seen plenty of players who put up big numbers but who really weren't great players. Considering that high school basketball is a guards game and bigs traditionally develop later I would go the other direction and say 12 & 8 from a soph is impressive.- 2018 SG CJ Fredrick (Covington Catholic)
"Who you know" might get you an initial look or have a coach stop by your game during the summer but it doesn't get you offers. Kid had a good summer and has continued to improve. Bottom line is that you are who recruits you whether that is high major, mid major, D2, etc- JC Hawkins - SK - 2017 Recruting
Christian Brothers would be a nice system fit for his skill set. I don't see him as a 1 at the next level. I think he would struggle to defend the 1 at the college level. Like most high school players going to have to get stronger, quicker and figure out how to guard to be a contributor at the next level- Your school's Mount Rushmore
Scott HS.... Not sure I can get down to an actual four for the mountain but here are some names that stand out and at least get the conversation rolling. Coaches Brad Carr (most wins in program history) Carl Wenderoth (Led team to only state tourney appearance) Players Jake Ohmer (Already programs All Time scoring leader and still adding on) Kellen Smith (admitted bias! Lol 1300 points, All time Assists & Steals 3 District Tourney MVP's) Kyle Howard (All time leading rebounder & 10th Region HOF) Ben Lye Jesse Jett Chris Thompson Chris Haynes Kelly James (really old school...avg bunch of points programs first two years) Anthony Matracia Nate Sharp (one of the best senior years in program history) There are obviously more but hopefully a good start for discussion - The Jake