2016 Rio Summer Olympics

MJAlltheWay24

This Olympics has all the makings of a complete disaster. I hope I am wrong but we have Zika, corrupt and unstable govt, major security issues, all the water issues, terror threats that would be out there no matter where the Olympics were held...

I want no part of being there like many others have posted on here...it is a shame that the athletes are forced to go to a mess like this to be able to compete in the Olympics...should not be the case.

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Golfer Dustin Johnson put out a statement yesterday that he's not going to the Olympics due to the Zika virus. Said he had concerns about the health problems for himself and his family.

I think the Olympics are going to lose several star athletes in the outdoor sports. If I were a member of the any of the outdoor water events, such as rowing or kayak, I wouldn't be there. They're having major issues with polluted waters.

I don't think there will be as many as you think. I haven't heard of any track and field athletes not going, and they are some of the biggest stars of the Olympics. And the kayakers, rowers, etc, don't get a lot of pub outside of Olympic years, so I'm guessing they'll all go. I can see pro's like golfers, or basketball players not going, since the Olympics really don't add anything to their pockets. The fact is, for most of these athletes, the Olympics are the only exposure they ever get. To not go, would be giving up what little earning potential and visibility they'll ever get in their sport.

Any names from last year? Gabby Davis I assumed made it.

Is the vault girl that made the funny face still around?

I need to go back and check out the list from last Olympics.

Also--it seems like last night they announced who would be competing for the team medal.There are 5 girls and 3 alternates. But are there still other girls who might have qualified to compete individually on a particular apparatus, but are not on the team?

US Women's Gymnastics Olympic Trials 2

I need to go back and check out the list from last Olympics.

Also--it seems like last night they announced who would be competing for the team medal.There are 5 girls and 3 alternates. But are there still other girls who might have qualified to compete individually on a particular apparatus, but are not on the team?

US Women's Gymnastics Olympic Trials 216: Sunday Results and Qualifying Scores

I'm not 100% sure how that works. But I feel pretty confident that you have to be on the team to compete on an individual apparatus. I believe they take the highest individual scores during the team events on each apparatus, and that is who then competes on an individual apparatus. Something like that.

I'm not 100% sure how that works. But I feel pretty confident that you have to be on the team to compete on an individual apparatus. I believe they take the highest individual scores during the team events on each apparatus, and that is who then competes on an individual apparatus. Something like that.

United States Women's Gymnastics Team

Simone Biles

Gabby Douglas

Lauren Hernandez

Madison Kocian

Alexandra Raisman

United States Women's Gymnastics Team

Simone Biles

Gabby Douglas

Lauren Hernandez

Madison Kocian

Alexandra Raisman

It was four years ago, so my memory might be off but I'm pretty sure 2/5 were from the 2012 team. Gabby Douglas and Alexandra Raisman.

Any names from last year? Gabby Davis I assumed made it.

Is the vault girl that made the funny face still around?

Was wondering about her and looked it up last night. McKayla Maroney. Apparently never got back on track after a couple injuries following the 2013 World Championships and said earlier this year she wouldn't pursue a spot in Rio.

Watched some of last night early on and then the very end when the team was announced. After two weeks of watching "win or go home" qualifying in swimming and track and field, it was a bit jarring to watch the gymnastics committee just get to pick four of the five. Only the first place scorer got in automatically. Douglas finished seventh and still made the five-person squad.

Wow, she didn't? Bummer. She was one of the heroes from the 2012 Olympics.

She's been off her game for alost 2 years now. She's been suffering from back spasms since 2014, she left her longtime swim coach when she started college and collegiate swimming in 2014, and has since left college and gone back with her former coach, but she's been struggling to come up with bronze and silver wins in events where she used to dominate the gold.

Watched some of last night early on and then the very end when the team was announced. After two weeks of watching "win or go home" qualifying in swimming and track and field, it was a bit jarring to watch the gymnastics committee just get to pick four of the five. Only the first place scorer got in automatically. Douglas finished seventh and still made the five-person squad.

I really dislike sports that are decided by a judge other than on field competition ie. gymnastics, figure skating, diving, dressage.

But I believe this is because of her immediately past performances at competitions over the past few weeks. Gymnastics seems to be the only sport that can take into account those "non trial" performances that precede the trials.

Gabby blew it up on the balance beam, but her contributions for floor exercise and vault from a team perspective far outweigh her ability to score on the beam, so the committee took her.

I was more surprised that the committee (judges) are as old as they were. That seemed odd to me.

Also trying to figure out how come gymnastics has so many men coaches that have never "played the game " ?

And finally, really concerned that I have watched enough Olympic trials to know how the gymnastics team is selected....I really need to find a hobby.

But I believe this is because of her immediately past performances at competitions over the past few weeks. Gymnastics seems to be the only sport that can take into account those "non trial" performances that precede the trials.

I believe this has happened before on the swim team. I can't think of a specific example when, but I'm almost positive very seen that occur in swimming before.

I've been getting emails about every day lately looking to hire protection for people and groups going to Rio.

All expenses included, plus overtime. Normal pay starts out around $600 per day with assignments being from August 2nd to August 22nd.

Brazil, which usually loves to goug US tourist with their high visa cost has waived the visa requirements for the summer. They are fighting to get people to come, but they aren't or can't pay for the LEO's and other government employees the pay that they already are owed. Brazil is paying these employees as they Brazil is fighting to pay for the cost of the Games. A couple of LEO's I know from Brazil are not going to work their jobs next month, as they know they are not going to get paid, but instead they going to work private security and details where they know they will paid.

Someone may feel that they can go and be fine, but I'd never take my family to Rio this summer, it's not going to be a pleasant few weeks. But one thing that the Rio Games may do, is get the IOC to finally clean house and get rid of some of the corruption.