2016 Rio Summer Olympics

MJAlltheWay24

I'm not going to watch a second of this outside of the basketball and I'm still up in the air about that. What a corrupt pile of crap this has become.

It's such a mess and so difficult to deal with. I'm a huge fan of the Olympics and what they represent but the corruption does make it difficult. Politics makes it difficult to enjoy sports sometimes. I feel the same way every time I read about a state legislature shelling out $400 million through a back door to get a football stadium built.

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly don't have a good feeling about this event. So much corruption in the IOC, the Rio games have had a black eye since they won the bid. Brazil is a very dangerous country to begin with, then add turmoil amidst the police, Zika, raw sewage, cyber hackers and this isn't an all inclusive list.

Qualifying event? Games don't start until August I thought.

Yes, in the trials. Doubt she makes the final cut, but still pretty cool.

I've run with her before. Once. :lol2: She tacked off a 4:40 mile in a recent event. No mas.

As to the discussion earlier in this thread: the Managing Director of the International Monetary Fund has backed (I suppose, she answered a question during a conference) a proposal to have the Olympics permanently in Athens and, quite frankly, I think I like it, at least for the Summer Games.

IMF Chief Backs Permanent Olympic Host

Athens seems like a natural permanent host and having permanent status would be good for Greece as well as save some of the nonsensical amounts of money being spent around the world to host these things every four years.

A permanent Winter host is a little trickier to find, probably, as the lack of a natural host (like Athens, the birthplace of the games) would make the politics somewhat thorny.

Swimming trials are about finished and track and field starts today.

I've watching every night of the swimming trials and they've been really fun. What a grinder for an elite athlete to go through just to qualify for the US team.

Swimming trials are about finished and track and field starts today.

I've watching every night of the swimming trials and they've been really fun. What a grinder for an elite athlete to go through just to qualify for the US team.

Yes, it is tough. Saw where Missy Franklin did not make it.

As to the discussion earlier in this thread: the Managing Director of the International Monetary Fund has backed (I suppose, she answered a question during a conference) a proposal to have the Olympics permanently in Athens and, quite frankly, I think I like it, at least for the Summer Games.

IMF Chief Backs Permanent Olympic Host

Athens seems like a natural permanent host and having permanent status would be good for Greece as well as save some of the nonsensical amounts of money being spent around the world to host these things every four years.

A permanent Winter host is a little trickier to find, probably, as the lack of a natural host (like Athens, the birthplace of the games) would make the politics somewhat thorny.

That's not the worst idea I've ever heard - not by a long shot.