2016 Rio Summer Olympics

MJAlltheWay24

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Swimming trials are about finished and track and field starts today.

I've watching every night of the swimming trials and they've been really fun. What a grinder for an elite athlete to go through just to qualify for the US team.

The poor girl they disqualified after she made the team for an illegal turn, and then reinstated her in the appeal. What a run of emotions.

Wow, she didn't? Bummer. She was one of the heroes from the 2012 Olympics.

She qualified for 3 events for Rio. She didn't qualify to defend her gold medal in 100 backstroke. She qualified for 200m backstroke, 200m freestyle, and that put her on the 200m x4 freestyle relay team.

As to the discussion earlier in this thread: the Managing Director of the International Monetary Fund has backed (I suppose, she answered a question during a conference) a proposal to have the Olympics permanently in Athens and, quite frankly, I think I like it, at least for the Summer Games.

IMF Chief Backs Permanent Olympic Host

Athens seems like a natural permanent host and having permanent status would be good for Greece as well as save some of the nonsensical amounts of money being spent around the world to host these things every four years.

A permanent Winter host is a little trickier to find, probably, as the lack of a natural host (like Athens, the birthplace of the games) would make the politics somewhat thorny.

I'd like to see a small rotation just to spread it around a little. 2 - 4 venues for each.

She qualified for 3 events for Rio. She didn't qualify to defend her gold medal in 100 backstroke. She qualified for 200m backstroke, 200m freestyle, and that put her on the 200m x4 freestyle relay team.

Oh okay! Thanks for the clarification. Glad to hear that she will still be a part of the games.

Golfer Dustin Johnson put out a statement yesterday that he's not going to the Olympics due to the Zika virus. Said he had concerns about the health problems for himself and his family.

I think the Olympics are going to lose several star athletes in the outdoor sports. If I were a member of the any of the outdoor water events, such as rowing or kayak, I wouldn't be there. They're having major issues with polluted waters.