Supreme Court Justice Scalia has died

I am by NO MEANS an Obama fan, but I had absolutely no problem with his speech tonight. I also think he has every right to make the nomination to the SC to take Scalia's place. I also think the Senate needs to confirm the choice. That is how the process should work. Obama should NOT make a recess appointment but McConnell should not be saying that Obama does not have the right to make a nomination. While I don't like it, Obama IS the president and it is his job to make the nomination.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably talking an 18-month wait for a replacement to be seated if Mitch is able to go four-corners on the Constitution. Republicans run several risks with this tactic. In the meantime, is the court really going to vote 4-4 in case after case? Doubtful. Going to be a lot more maneuvering behind closed doors than before.

I am by NO MEANS an Obama fan, but I had absolutely no problem with his speech tonight. I also think he has every right to make the nomination to the SC to take Scalia's place. I also think the Senate needs to confirm the choice. That is how the process should work. Obama should NOT make a recess appointment but McConnell should not be saying that Obama does not have the right to make a nomination. While I don't like it, Obama IS the president and it is his job to make the nomination.

Agreed. Whatever your political stripe, do your job.

May be why the Legislative branch has an approval rating approaching single digits.

We get to see just how crazy the republicans are. If they fail to act on a nomination, the issue will be gold for the democrats up and down the ticket. Also, the republicans have filed numerous challenges to Obama executive orders, and without the chance of five votes to overturn them, Obama can get some stuff done.

On a personal note, sorry to see the passing of Scalia. A great legal writer. I used to admire him for the consistency of his opinions although I disagreed, then he went and betrayed his own words in the Bush v. Gore case. Totally flipped, put a president in who got less votes than his opponent.

Obama is within his rights to make a nomination AND the Senate is within their to not confirm that nominee. Remember Robert Bork. I doubt seriously that liberals have any problem that his nomination was defeated.

The question for Obama is can he put country before ideology and nominate anyone who can be confirmed by the Senate. I doubt it. I also doubt that if he nominates an extreme lefty and that nomination is Borked, the left will be as accepting of that outcome.