Supreme Court Justice Scalia has died

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would it be the Republicans playing politics? You don't think that Obama might appoint a hard left ideologue, optimally for him a minority or woman and then use those things the bash the Republicans if they try to treat that nominee the way the dems did Bork?

I do not think Obama will put a hard left person up for nomination. Of course, anyone that Obama nominates will almost certainly be called hard left by the Republicans.

You also have a lot of liberal beliefs.

I do have some liberal beliefs. And some very conservative beliefs.

Not sure what that has to do with the question posed though.

Note: Habib started a thread just on the topic of successor that we should take this to.

You also have a lot of liberal beliefs.

I have a fair number of liberal beliefs and a whole lot of conservative beliefs yet I too believe Obama ought to nominate the next justice. In fact I believe he has an obligation to do so. I don't like it but that's our system. If there were a conservative in the white house I sure wouldn't like if he passed on his duty with 11 months left.

I have a fair number of liberal beliefs and a whole lot of conservative beliefs yet I too believe Obama ought to nominate the next justice. In fact I believe he has an obligation to do so. I don't like it but that's our system. If there were a conservative in the white house I sure wouldn't like if he passed on his duty with 11 months left.

I think America should decide on it in November. What's wrong with the tax slaves having a voice for once?

The world's a nasty place sometimes.

The man was an institution on the court and absolutely brilliant. He was capable of expressing the conservative views of the court and the ideas of textualism in a way that Clarence Thomas and Samuel Alito simply cannot match. I'll miss reading his opinions, but even more so, I'll miss reading his dissents.

I'm sure he had grown disheartened in many respects. It seemed fairly clear to me from his writing that he felt he'd lost his battle for textualism in recent years. He seemed to me less dedicated to being an ardent warrior for it and was waiting and hoping for a conservative president to appoint his replacement. If that's true, then I'm sorry that this went down the way it did.

Also, for my own part, as a frequent attendee of Traditional Latin Mass, I'm saddened to lose the man that was the most public face Traditional Catholicism had in the United States these days. It will live on in one of his sons, who is a priest in the DC area and a dedicated advocate of increased availablity of the traditional mass for those who want it.

Regardless of how you might feel about his politics or judgments, this country just lost a man with a clear vision for what he thought jurisprudence, constitutional scholarship, and the role of the court ought to be. Not every justice who sits on that bench has such a clear vision of those things, to the country's detriment.

The president owes it to the court and to this country to appoint someone as brilliant, dedicated, and clear in vision as Scalia. I have my doubts as to whether a contemporary president would do such a thing and have serious doubts as to whether any nominee with an actual clarity of vision could actually pass through the confirmation process. The Robert Bork nomination fight changed everything -- again to the detriment of this country -- but I'll continue to hold out hope that the court can still be a place where the highest ideas about jurisprudence can be exchanged with the American public looking on. That might make me an idealist, but like Scalia, I think that's an ideal worth holding on to.

This is a very nice post. I kinda thought the same sorts of things long ago, but was very disillusioned with the flip in constitutional scholarship in the bush v. gore case. Nonetheless, a nice post and very well-written and expressive. This post also got me to thinking about how he did champion a textual reading of the Constitution (cept for that one time) and how in conflict this process of succeeding him is already in very stark contrast to his cause.

I think America should decide on it in November. What's wrong with the tax slaves having a voice for once?

America did decide in November. Coulda been Romney, but America decided differently. What's wrong with honoring the voice that has already been lawfully expressed?

Not how it works. I doubt that any SCOTUS would interpret it that way.

It is certainly within his power to do so as it is written in the constitution Article 2 Sec 2. That is beyond the argument or hard feelings of any conservative posters in this board that disagree. President Obama has been elected twice and has 11 months to go. He will pick his appointee and the senate will give the person a fair chance and vote .