Supreme Court Justice Scalia has died

Sorry man, missed a chance to get rich.

Gun industry should write that man a check! Love him or hate him...they should love him he's good for business. My inner conspiracy theorist thinks the gun industry is secretly behind Hillary.

Back to topic does anybody know what cases are coming up that could be affected by this possible tie in the SC?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The world's a nasty place sometimes.

The man was an institution on the court and absolutely brilliant. He was capable of expressing the conservative views of the court and the ideas of textualism in a way that Clarence Thomas and Samuel Alito simply cannot match. I'll miss reading his opinions, but even more so, I'll miss reading his dissents.

I'm sure he had grown disheartened in many respects. It seemed fairly clear to me from his writing that he felt he'd lost his battle for textualism in recent years. He seemed to me less dedicated to being an ardent warrior for it and was waiting and hoping for a conservative president to appoint his replacement. If that's true, then I'm sorry that this went down the way it did.

Also, for my own part, as a frequent attendee of Traditional Latin Mass, I'm saddened to lose the man that was the most public face Traditional Catholicism had in the United States these days. It will live on in one of his sons, who is a priest in the DC area and a dedicated advocate of increased availablity of the traditional mass for those who want it.

Regardless of how you might feel about his politics or judgments, this country just lost a man with a clear vision for what he thought jurisprudence, constitutional scholarship, and the role of the court ought to be. Not every justice who sits on that bench has such a clear vision of those things, to the country's detriment.

The president owes it to the court and to this country to appoint someone as brilliant, dedicated, and clear in vision as Scalia. I have my doubts as to whether a contemporary president would do such a thing and have serious doubts as to whether any nominee with an actual clarity of vision could actually pass through the confirmation process. The Robert Bork nomination fight changed everything -- again to the detriment of this country -- but I'll continue to hold out hope that the court can still be a place where the highest ideas about jurisprudence can be exchanged with the American public looking on. That might make me an idealist, but like Scalia, I think that's an ideal worth holding on to.

Perfect post...

Why the heck not? Isn't this guy above any constitutional law anyway? What I want to know is why he has never proclaimed himself king?

I don't think it would be against the law for him to nominate himself. Think of the fun republicans would have grilling him for months on every thing he's ever said or done. Could make Hillary very nervous.

The world's a nasty place sometimes. The man was an institution on the court and absolutely brilliant. He was capable of expressing the conservative views of the court and the ideas of textualism in a way that Clarence Thomas and Samuel Alito simply cannot match. I'll miss reading his opinions' date=' but even more so, I'll miss reading his dissents. I'm sure he had grown disheartened in many respects. It seemed fairly clear to me from his writing that he felt he'd lost his battle for textualism in recent years. He seemed to me less dedicated to being an ardent warrior for it and was waiting and hoping for a conservative president to appoint his replacement. If that's true, then I'm sorry that this went down the way it did. Also, for my own part, as a frequent attendee of Traditional Latin Mass, I'm saddened to lose the man that was the most public face Traditional Catholicism had in the United States these days. It will live on in one of his sons, who is a priest in the DC area and a dedicated advocate of increased availablity of the traditional mass for those who want it. Regardless of how you might feel about his politics or judgments, this country just lost a man with a clear vision for what he thought jurisprudence, constitutional scholarship, and the role of the court ought to be. Not every justice who sits on that bench has such a clear vision of those things, to the country's detriment. The president owes it to the court and to this country to appoint someone as brilliant, dedicated, and clear in vision as Scalia. I have my doubts as to whether a contemporary president would do such a thing and have serious doubts as to whether any nominee with an actual clarity of vision could actually pass through the confirmation process. The Robert Bork nomination fight changed everything -- again to the detriment of this country -- but I'll continue to hold out hope that the court can still be a place where the highest ideas about jurisprudence can be exchanged with the American public looking on. That might make me an idealist, but like Scalia, I think that's an ideal worth holding on to.[/quote']

We can only wish his body wants even cold yet and Obama was on stage saying he will nominate his next pre selected candidate.

Very good article that should cause all in both parties to reflect and consider what statesmanship is. Hopefully the example of the friendship and cooperation between Scalia and Ginsburg is something all in politics think about as they reflect on Scalia's legacy.

Much of this thread has focused on the impact of Scalia's death on the second amendment. I think there is another, more ironic issue, to think about - Ted Cruz. Cruz is a huge fan of Scalia. Yet, I believe if the issue of Ted Cruz's eligibility ever came before the Supreme Court, there is a good chance Scalia as a strict constitutionalist would be vocal that Cruz should not be eligible to run for President.

Finally, a third topic to discuss. The impact on the election if the Republicans play politics with appointment of a successor. I believe this is a lose lose issue for Republicans. If they oppose any appointment by Obama, the Dems will jump all over this as another issue pointing to Republicans as the cause of stagnation in Congress. If they allow an appointment, it could work against them in elections if voters feel Republicans gave in and it could work against them as to the future of the court depending on how the selected justice turns out.

Finally, a third topic to discuss. The impact on the election if the Republicans play politics with appointment of a successor. I believe this is a lose lose issue for Republicans. If they oppose any appointment by Obama, the Dems will jump all over this as another issue pointing to Republicans as the cause of stagnation in Congress. If they allow an appointment, it could work against them in elections if voters feel Republicans gave in and it could work against them as to the future of the court depending on how the selected justice turns out.

Why would it be the Republicans playing politics? You don't think that Obama might appoint a hard left ideologue, optimally for him a minority or woman and then use those things the bash the Republicans if they try to treat that nominee the way the dems did Bork?