Supreme Court Justice Scalia has died

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see the president nominating someone that SHOULD be approved by the Senate. Maybe even someone they have approved before in a lower court in order to fill the position.

This could be extremely destructive for Senate leadership, and could prove the Obama narrative that the McConnell gang is doing nothing but obstructing in Washington.

Think about it this way JA. Your private supply will skyrocket in value if you get an axis of liberal evil to affect the sale of guns. I'm personally going to put my retirement into gun manufacturer and ammunition stocks over the next year. No one is more gullible than people afraid the govt is going to take their guns.

It is funny for someone who supports the Harry Reid party to say that McConnell is obstructing in Washington. Harry Reid was a road block for anything getting through for years...

BTW, I am not a McConnell fan either...

It is funny for someone who supports the Harry Reid party to say that McConnell is obstructing in Washington. Harry Reid was a road block for anything getting through for years...

BTW, I am not a McConnell fan either...

I said the same thing about Harry Reid. So we agree.

I am by NO MEANS an Obama fan, but I had absolutely no problem with his speech tonight. I also think he has every right to make the nomination to the SC to take Scalia's place. I also think the Senate needs to confirm the choice. That is how the process should work. Obama should NOT make a recess appointment but McConnell should not be saying that Obama does not have the right to make a nomination. While I don't like it, Obama IS the president and it is his job to make the nomination.

I want to be clear about what I meant when I posted the bolded above because it could be read a couple of different ways. I don't mean that the Senate should confirm whomever Obama nominates. I mean that the Senate should give the nominee a fair hearing and vote on the nominee and not just try to delay the process.

I guess it's a sign of the times when a man who served on the highest court dies and the first comments are about gun control and political strategies regarding replacing him.

I couldn't believe all of the celebrating I saw on social media last night from liberals. Liberals are trying to be classy but are all on cloud 9 today. It is a sign of times we have people trying to change America.

With the passing of Justice Scalia we now know that the next President of the United States will be able to control the laws of our land for the next 40 years. This is the most important election since Lincoln.

I see the president nominating someone that SHOULD be approved by the Senate. Maybe even someone they have approved before in a lower court in order to fill the position. This could be extremely destructive for Senate leadership' date=' and could prove the Obama narrative that the McConnell gang is doing nothing but obstructing in Washington. Think about it this way JA. Your private supply will skyrocket in value if you get an axis of liberal evil to affect the sale of guns. I'm personally going to put my retirement into gun manufacturer and ammunition stocks over the next year. No one is more gullible than people afraid the govt is going to take their guns.[/quote']

You already missed that boat, gun stocks sky rocketed when Obama took office. I haven't looked at the stats but he's sold millions of guns in the last 7 years.

Hillary will do everything she can to take them away we all know this. The question is if she will do a mandatory buy back. She's already stated numerous times she wants European like gun laws.

I see the president nominating someone that SHOULD be approved by the Senate. Maybe even someone they have approved before in a lower court in order to fill the position.

This could be extremely destructive for Senate leadership, and could prove the Obama narrative that the McConnell gang is doing nothing but obstructing in Washington.

Think about it this way JA. Your private supply will skyrocket in value if you get an axis of liberal evil to affect the sale of guns. I'm personally going to put my retirement into gun manufacturer and ammunition stocks over the next year. No one is more gullible than people afraid the govt is going to take their guns.

This coming from someone who supports HRC and Bernie Sanders. :banana:

I guess it's a sign of the times when a man who served on the highest court dies and the first comments are about gun control and political strategies regarding replacing him.

The world's a nasty place sometimes.

The man was an institution on the court and absolutely brilliant. He was capable of expressing the conservative views of the court and the ideas of textualism in a way that Clarence Thomas and Samuel Alito simply cannot match. I'll miss reading his opinions, but even more so, I'll miss reading his dissents.

I'm sure he had grown disheartened in many respects. It seemed fairly clear to me from his writing that he felt he'd lost his battle for textualism in recent years. He seemed to me less dedicated to being an ardent warrior for it and was waiting and hoping for a conservative president to appoint his replacement. If that's true, then I'm sorry that this went down the way it did.

Also, for my own part, as a frequent attendee of Traditional Latin Mass, I'm saddened to lose the man that was the most public face Traditional Catholicism had in the United States these days. It will live on in one of his sons, who is a priest in the DC area and a dedicated advocate of increased availablity of the traditional mass for those who want it.

Regardless of how you might feel about his politics or judgments, this country just lost a man with a clear vision for what he thought jurisprudence, constitutional scholarship, and the role of the court ought to be. Not every justice who sits on that bench has such a clear vision of those things, to the country's detriment.

The president owes it to the court and to this country to appoint someone as brilliant, dedicated, and clear in vision as Scalia. I have my doubts as to whether a contemporary president would do such a thing and have serious doubts as to whether any nominee with an actual clarity of vision could actually pass through the confirmation process. The Robert Bork nomination fight changed everything -- again to the detriment of this country -- but I'll continue to hold out hope that the court can still be a place where the highest ideas about jurisprudence can be exchanged with the American public looking on. That might make me an idealist, but like Scalia, I think that's an ideal worth holding on to.

You already missed that boat, gun stocks sky rocketed when Obama took office. I haven't looked at the stats but he's sold millions of guns in the last 7 years.

Hillary will do everything she can to take them away we all know this. The question is if she will do a mandatory buy back. She's already stated numerous times she wants European like gun laws.

So the ship has sailed? :cry:

You don't think once primary season is over, and we are in the heat of this nomination that the right wing won't fire up the chants of get your guns while you still can? You're dashing my dreams here, JA.

FWIW, Scalia made some huge decisions on guns.

So the ship has sailed? :cry: You don't think once primary season is over' date=' and we are in the heat of this nomination that the right wing won't fire up the chants of get your guns while you still can? You're dashing my dreams here, JA. FWIW, Scalia made some huge decisions on guns.[/quote'] Sorry man, missed a chance to get rich.

image-49946753.jpg