I, Racist

born2reign

I'm talking about the concept of white privilege which was derived by sociology professors .

I'm sure you've experienced racism and I wouldn't belittle that. But it is a different from the societal concept of white privilege .

Your very post is why I have a problem with academia and it's concept of white privilege. It blurs the line of real racism.

The only line being blurred is being created by the circuitous and poorly conceived reasoning that you continue to support. As long as white people act as if racial privledge is like Big Foot, there will continue to be a divide in this country. Start listening to understand and stop listening to reply!

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a difference between racism and white privilege. I would never say racism doesn't exist.

Yet you refuse to acknowledge white privilege exists. I'd love for the tables to be turned and that the USA could start over in 1776 with blacks being the majority and whites being the minority. I bet your perspective on white privilege would change then.

My bad, it would then be black privilege. My mistake.

I read the article. Two issues he needs to deal with if he REALLY wants to have discussions on the topic, because as soon as a lot of people, especially white people read this, it automatically puts them on the defensive, and the two items aren't true.

1. He essentially calls all white people racists. Not a very good stand to take if you want to talk race relations...because it isn't true. It's no more true than if I said all black people are racists, because I know as does I would think everyone on this site that blanket statement isn't true either. Talk about using a broad brush.

2. He then goes on to state that black people CAN'T be racists because they don't have the power. That's almost as bad as saying all whites are racists. Of course blacks can be racists. I have seen/known white racists, I have seen/known black racists. To think/know that someone has to be in some sort of position of power to be racists is an asinine thought in my opinion. Now, were more blacks throughout the history of this country affected by racism in a negative manner because of their position in society? That is an absolute yes and can't even be argued against. But to state that a black person can't be a racist because they don't have the position in society to be one...sorry that is a false argument. The most racist, insensitive person I have ever had the displeasure to work with was an older black lady who everyone she worked with...white, black, brown, etc. eventually ended up disliking because she was...to be kind lets just say she was very very unlikeable.

Racism exists. To that there is no argument. If a white person hates black people, he will hate the black 45 year old millionaire company executive just as much as the 15 year old black kid selling drugs on a street corner in Covington. Heck, I can make an argument where the white racists might even hate the rich black guy even worse (jealousy). So I'm not really on board with Lipton's assertion that it's primarily a socioeconomic issue. But if the writer of this article wants to open up dialogue, he really needs to examine at a minimum the two issues I brought up above, IMO.

I read the article. Two issues he needs to deal with if he REALLY wants to have discussions on the topic, because as soon as a lot of people, especially white people read this, it automatically puts them on the defensive, and the two items aren't true.

1. He essentially calls all white people racists. Not a very good stand to take if you want to talk race relations...because it isn't true. It's no more true than if I said all black people are racists, because I know as does I would think everyone on this site that blanket statement isn't true either. Talk about using a broad brush.

2. He then goes on to state that black people CAN'T be racists because they don't have the power. That's almost as bad as saying all whites are racists. Of course blacks can be racists. I have seen/known white racists, I have seen/known black racists. To think/know that someone has to be in some sort of position of power to be racists is an asinine thought in my opinion. Now, were more blacks throughout the history of this country affected by racism in a negative manner because of their position in society? That is an absolute yes and can't even be argued against. But to state that a black person can't be a racist because they don't have the position in society to be one...sorry that is a false argument. The most racist, insensitive person I have ever had the displeasure to work with was an older black lady who everyone she worked with...white, black, brown, etc. eventually ended up disliking because she was...to be kind lets just say she was very very unlikeable.

Racism exists. To that there is no argument. If a white person hates black people, he will hate the black 45 year old millionaire company executive just as much as the 15 year old black kid selling drugs on a street corner in Covington. Heck, I can make an argument where the white racists might even hate the rich black guy even worse (jealousy). So I'm not really on board with Lipton's assertion that it's primarily a socioeconomic issue. But if the writer of this article wants to open up dialogue, he really needs to examine at a minimum the two issues I brought up above, IMO.

God forbid white people are put on the defensive. Lord knows we can't discuss race unless white people say we discuss it how they say we are allowed to discuss it. Don't want to hurt any white people's feelings.

I'm out. Discussing race is irritating and pretty damn stupid at this point. Y'all do you and I'm gonna do me. I have zero hope in a constructive discussion and zero hope for race relations in our future. I'll make sure my kids know how to act when they come across those rebel flags celebrating their heritage. I haven't raised any thugs but one false move and they'll be branded for life.

The only line being blurred is being created by the circuitous and poorly conceived reasoning that you continue to support. As long as white people act as if racial privledge is like Big Foot, there will continue to be a divide in this country. Start listening to understand and stop listening to reply!

There will continue to be a divide when people such as this author and yourself can only identify one issue and that is race as a problem. There is nothing poorly conceived with what I said. You just don't agree with it. Huge difference.

I don't remember reading anywhere on here stating the Charleston Masacre wasn't carried out by a racist maniac. I also didn't read where Lipton ever stated there aren't any racist around today and that it wasn't a problem. What Lipton has said over and over again is just because racism exist today doesn't make EVERYONE who isn't black a racist.

The guilt complex many try to throw on everyone else is as big of a problem as anything else because it keeps the problem from ever being constructively looked at and hopefully corrected.

When people make blanket accusations to cover an entire population, then there will never be anything constructively done to alleviate the problem that was at the initial topic in the first place. Instead it puts everyone in a defensive mode instead of a problem solving mode. Was every German a Nazi? well if we went along the way of thinking the gametime is talking about the answer is yes. The fact of the matter is the true answer is no. Is every white person a racist? According to gametime yes, the truth is no.

What I will continue to argue against is the ridiculous concept that racial privledge doesn't exist. To assert that privledge only comes from economic status is one of the single most ludicrous concepts in discussing racial relations that exists. All of the conversations had lead to this singular point. If you choose to pull one point out of a longer discussion to justify an argument you wish to make, you are doing the conversation an injustice.

People simply choose to ignore the fact that racial privilege exists. Maybe this has to do with the implications it has on their own lives, maybe it truly is their own ignorance, maybe there are other issues that I haven't identified, but that doesn't change the fact that it does exist. There is racial injustice in this country that comes from privledge.

Simply, stop telling minorities that racial privledge doesn't exist because you, as a white person, do not understand how you have benefitted.

Speaking of branded I think the article called me a racist, did it not?

I'm very greatful that I was born a white, male, American, very greatful. I'm not ashamed of it nor do I feel guilty about it. Of course I have prejudices but I don't not hate people because of race or nationality. Actually, I can't think of one person that I hate, period. Hope you guys can get it figured out.

There will continue to be a divide when people such as this author and yourself can only identify one issue and that is race as a problem. There is nothing poorly conceived with what I said. You just don't agree with it. Huge difference.

You refuse to re-evaluate your own logic. No where do I say there is only one issue. I pointed to racial privledge as a signifigcant issue. You won't acknowledge that it exists. It isn't about agree and disagree. It is about denying what is right in front of your face, regardless of the fact that minorities are telling you that this is a part of the issue. If whites can't accept racial privledge as an issue, then we can't begin to develop a solution to the racial divide in this country.

I'm talking about the concept of white privilege which was derived by sociology professors .

I'm sure you've experienced racism and I wouldn't belittle that. But it is a different from the societal concept of white privilege .

Your very post is why I have a problem with academia and it's concept of white privilege. It blurs the line of real racism.

Academia? Broad brush, ya think?

God forbid white people are put on the defensive. Lord knows we can't discuss race unless white people say we discuss it how they say we are allowed to discuss it. Don't want to hurt any white people's feelings.

God forbid I have a dissenting opinion on the article that calls the guy out on his falsehoods. But then again I'm already a racist in his eyes without him knowing me anyway, so I guess anything I say couldn't be worth anything.

So you agree with his premise then that all white people are racists and no black people are? By your response it seems you agree with his premise...but I hope I'm wrong.

Lets change the word "racist" to "stupid". Guy writes an article on how to better educate American kids. Starts off by saying all white people are stupid. Sorry, not a good way to delve into a debate when you make false assertions right off the bat.:no:

What I will continue to argue against is the ridiculous concept that racial privledge doesn't exist. To assert that privledge only comes from economic status is one of the single most ludicrous concepts in discussing racial relations that exists. All of the conversations had lead to this singular point. If you choose to pull one point out of a longer discussion to justify an argument you wish to make, you are doing the conversation an injustice.

People simply choose to ignore the fact that racial privilege exists. Maybe this has to do with the implications it has on their own lives, maybe it truly is their own ignorance, maybe there are other issues that I haven't identified, but that doesn't change the fact that it does exist. There is racial injustice in this country that comes from privledge.

Simply, stop telling minorities that racial privledge doesn't exist because you, as a white person, do not understand how you have benefitted.

If you want to look at it that way, everyone and everything can attributed to privileged. Doesn't have to be just race. Where you were born could be considered priviledge, what country you are from could be considered privileged, the era in which you were born could be considered privileged. Privileged to me sounds like a very vague catch all phrase or word that could include just about every aspect of life if you want to get right down to it.

With that said, would you care to inform me how I have benefited personally? You seem to think you know me and what I've been through, so please enlighten me how I have benefited.

I didn't go to College, why? because I couldn't afford it and couldn't get the financial aid. I joined the military because I couldn't afford college. I grew up with 8 people in our house that only had 3 bedrooms. I worked from the time I was in 4th grade in some capacity or another and earned everything I have today because of hard work. I've had to work 50-80 hours a week for years at my current job as I was performing many duties just to get to the position I am at. The only privilege I received was due to hard work and had nothing to do with the color of my skin.

I was privileged to be born in America rather than some 3rd world country. That is the privilege I had, same privilege many other people of differing races have also I might add. sorry if I just don't by into the blame game. I hold everybody I ever meet to the same standards I hold for myself and that is to be accountable for your own actions and don't count on anyone else to get ahead in life, just count on yourself.

Y'all would really get your panties in a twist if I wrote an opinion piece on white MALE privilege, wouldn't you? :lol2:

There's no shame in admitting white people enjoy greater latitude in many arenas than people of color. MANY. The shame should be in refusing to see it exists. The fact you (in a general sense) had to work harder than, let's say your rich friend, to get where you are doesn't negate the fact that for a person of color, they have to work harder than their rich black friends AND most white people to get ahead. Always have.

One of the points of the article is that black people identify as a group and take the good and the bad collectively...not individually. What happens to a black person, or what a black person does, is a reflection on the GROUP. White people don't identify as a group. They identify individually. What happens to ANYONE else, is something that happened to "them". And when a white person commits a crime, no blame is placed on white people as a whole and no one tells them to fix their "culture". A white person commits a crime and excuses are levied that separate them farther from the individual.

Yet you refuse to acknowledge white privilege exists. I'd love for the tables to be turned and that the USA could start over in 1776 with blacks being the majority and whites being the minority. I bet your perspective on white privilege would change then.

My bad, it would then be black privilege. My mistake.

Were you alive in 1776? I wasn't.

Were you alive during the times of the slaves of the Roman Empire? yea me either, and that is why I don't use that as an excuse to why I don't have a PHD or am a millionaire. Maybe some others should do the same.

If you can't see the difference and the huge strides made over the past 200+ years in this country alone then there is no discussion to be made because you refuse to do anything but lean on the crutch of oppression from 200 years ago. I haven't ever met a slave although they do exist today in many parts of the world...guess what they are black, white, yellow and red.