July 13, 201511 yr Author What in particular would you like me to break down. The same premise of his article has been discussed ad nausem on this site. I've stated over and over. In the modern society the only privilege is green. A large majority of every race is born without any privilege. Privilege comes with money not skin color. Lebron James kids will be a lot better off than my kids. The entire problem with the article is that in 2015 a segment of this country is still focused on race alone. The problem is socioeconomic period. The article's focus is on having an honest conversation on race where neither side resorts to simplistic generalizations and has open and honest dialogue. You come in with baggage from past discussions, so can you have a conversation about race relations? You are falling into the pitfall that the author describes. And if you honestly believe privilege only comes from being wealthy, you are mistaken, IMO. Ask a gay person trying to get married in Rowan County if their money matters when it comes to getting a license. Ask a woman that wants equal pay, or a Jewish person rejected from a country club or a Muslim getting on an airplane how much their wealth impacted their privilege. The problem is so much more than socioeconomic; inequalities are engrained in things like the Lord of the Rings movie casting and headline writing in media. Oversimplification is a cop out when you don't really want to have the honest discussion, IMO.
July 13, 201511 yr Yet another thread on race with people exposing their true colors. The saga continues. What's my color ?
July 13, 201511 yr I'm not changing anything or slinging mud. Your the white guy who just decided who was racist because you didn't want to have a real discussion. You know the liberal trump card when you have no response. You don't know me. You live in Newport. How about next time I'm in town on business we walk to the west side Newport projects and see who is accepted. Maybe Jacob Price or City Heights in Covington. You don't know me or my motives. There is a reason I've lived in Newport , Covington , Detroit , and Cleveland. I'm serious about this topic and solutions. What I won't stand by and watch is taking such a nonsense concept of White privilege and give it credibility. It was a concept written by racists looking for an easy answer for their anger. So you willingly admit to the refusal to accept the truth of the situation. No longer a need to respond to one another. Your stance is clear, racist and something I don't have any more time to concern myself with. Why is there a socioeconomic barrier all blacks have to deal with in one way or another? White privilege. Muddy the waters all you want. The confederate flag topic is exactly the same as your stance on poverty and race. Not your fault or problem. Talk a big game and point the finger in the direction you say you care so much about. It's as fake as you claim the other side is the "enemy". I haven't slept much in 5 days, so I'm going to be. I'll continue my strong opposition to what you have to say tomorrow... :thumb:
July 13, 201511 yr Author I'd also like to add the entire concept of white privilege is such an intellectually weak position. So the discussion is beneath you, intellectually, if a black man chooses to discuss the idea of racial privilege. Do you even understand what you just implied with that statement?
July 13, 201511 yr So the discussion is beneath you, intellectually, if a black man chooses to discuss the idea of racial privilege. Do you even understand what you just implied with that statement? Short answer? Nope...
July 13, 201511 yr The article's focus is on having an honest conversation on race where neither side resorts to simplistic generalizations and has open and honest dialogue. You come in with baggage from past discussions, so can you have a conversation about race relations? You are falling into the pitfall that the author describes. And if you honestly believe privilege only comes from being wealthy, you are mistaken, IMO. Ask a gay person trying to get married in Rowan County if their money matters when it comes to getting a license. Ask a woman that wants equal pay, or a Jewish person rejected from a country club or a Muslim getting on an airplane how much their wealth impacted their privilege. The problem is so much more than socioeconomic; inequalities are engrained in things like the Lord of the Rings movie casting and headline writing in media. Oversimplification is a cop out when you don't really want to have the honest discussion, IMO. I stand by the statement that privilege is defined by wealth. Any class you just stated if wealthy has many more privliges than any other person of any race that is poor or middle class. Please tell me how the people in West Covington who might be white have privilege over wealthy minorities. The real solution is making jobs avaliable in urban areas. Demanding education be taken more serious in urban areas. Eliminating the war on drugs which would cripple street gangs influence in urban areas . If people are educated , provided safe neighborhoods and access to jobs skin color makes no difference. When we debate trivial concepts we set the discussion back. A large majority of all white people hold no major prejudice today. The problem is we have a media and a handful pseudo intellectuals who want you to believe it's still the 60's in Selma.
July 13, 201511 yr So the discussion is beneath you, intellectually, if a black man chooses to discuss the idea of racial privilege. Do you even understand what you just implied with that statement? I know exactly what I implied the entire concept is flawed.
July 13, 201511 yr Gulity conscious, huh? Not at all considering I've done most the response against the article it's pretty easy to figure out who your comment was directed towards. Just want to see if you had something to say besides a sarcastic dig.
July 13, 201511 yr I stand by the statement that privilege is defined by wealth. Any class you just stated if wealthy has many more privliges than any other person of any race that is poor or middle class. Please tell me how the people in West Covington who might be white have privilege over wealthy minorities. The real solution is making jobs avaliable in urban areas. Demanding education be taken more serious in urban areas. Eliminating the war on drugs which would cripple street gangs influence in urban areas . If people are educated , provided safe neighborhoods and access to jobs skin color makes no difference. When we debate trivial concepts we set the discussion back. A large majority of all white people hold no major prejudice today. The problem is we have a media and a handful pseudo intellectuals who want you to believe it's still the 60's in Selma. Your backbone is eliminating the war on drugs created by white people directly looking for a way to target black people. This is great...
July 13, 201511 yr A white person saying the black perspective is invalid IS THE PROBLEM. I keep hoping we'll get there. I doubt that feeling more and more every day... Nail on the head here. I gave up on hoping we'll get there about a year ago. I still fight the fight because I am stubborn but too many people want to justify racism these days and too many people do what you just stated, rule the black perspective invalid.
July 13, 201511 yr When we debate trivial concepts we set the discussion back. A large majority of all white people hold no major prejudice today. The problem is we have a media and a handful pseudo intellectuals who want you to believe it's still the 60's in Selma. The article is literally about the existence of racism absent outward prejudice.
July 13, 201511 yr Your backbone is eliminating the war on drugs created by white people directly looking for a way to target black people. This is great... Ah there it is the conspiracy idea of the liberal. I knew it would come out. Good to show your cards. I'm a libertarian it's pretty well known I'm against the war on drugs. Economically it makes no sense and punishes to many users. Eliminating the war also eliminates the black market . So it eliminates street gangs and cartels influence. I can't wait for you to follow up with the articles I've read a million times on how the war on drugs is race based and not just another flaw in the Puritan laws that still influence this country. Are dry counties dry because of race ?
July 13, 201511 yr The article is literally about the existence of racism absent outward prejudice. The article says you are racist even if you don't know it. Which is such a cop out. The only area people of intellect allow such an easy answer is the subject of race.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.