I, Racist

born2reign

In the basic concept yes. Outlawing what I as the individual can consume because the government knows better.

Obviously if we break it down in details their are differences. But the concept behind dry counties and prohibition before it are linked to the war on drugs.

What about the disparity in jail sentencing? In dry counties do folks making moonshine get less time than folks making Olde English?

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Racist people exist where did I say they didnt. So do crazy people. I'm pretty sure the black teens in cincy jumped that white guy on fountain square because he was a white easy target. Racism exists. There are people of all races who are racists.

My problem is with the sociology concept of white privilege which is poorly conceived.

How can racism exists without privilege? Are only poor people racists? The reluctance to accept that racial privilege exists is poorly conceived, IMO.

No, the article says that there are instances of racism that black people can see clear as day that white people might not realize. The whole point is that a white person with the best of intentions and the clearest heart might make mundane decisions that adversely affect the black community. The author assuredly isn't arguing that a rich black person is worse off than a poor white guy, but for how many times you have brought up the word "intellect" in this thread, is it possible that maybe your position of the need for better schools, job opportunities, etc... can still be valid while at the same time Mr. Metta's concerns carry some weight as well?

Is your position seriously that white privilege doesn't exist? I'm all ears on any discussion about the degree of its importance, but in this article alone we have empirical evidence of white flight, Hollywood casting decisions, and headline writers. You can pretend that they aren't real, but that doesn't make it correct.

Re. your second paragraph, Chris Rock has some interesting things to say.

No, the article says that there are instances of racism that black people can see clear as day that white people might not realize. The whole point is that a white person with the best of intentions and the clearest heart might make mundane decisions that adversely affect the black community. The author assuredly isn't arguing that a rich black person is worse off than a poor white guy, but for how many times you have brought up the word "intellect" in this thread, is it possible that maybe your position of the need for better schools, job opportunities, etc... can still be valid while at the same time Mr. Metta's concerns carry some weight as well?

Is your position seriously that white privilege doesn't exist? I'm all ears on any discussion about the degree of its importance, but in this article alone we have empirical evidence of white flight, Hollywood casting decisions, and headline writers. You can pretend that they aren't real, but that doesn't make it correct.

Your last paragraph is a huge problem I have with the concept. Also we have different definitions of emperical because you take anecdotes and link it to causation.

What about the disparity in jail sentencing? In dry counties do folks making moonshine get less time than folks making Olde English?

I understand the point on jail time. But again it's an easy statistic if you don't look at the substance. How many white neighborhoods have street gangs on the corner dealing and enforcing.

If we want to be honest there are real reasons why black youths are arrested more often under the dumb war on drugs. Because they are more organized in criminal organzation in urban areas where there is higher violence. We can't ignore those facts and wonder why there are higher arrest rates.

Obviously drug usage doesn't know skin color. People of all races use drugs.

The government has hesitated to arrest and dismantle the large white criminal organzation in this county whether it be the mafia , biker gangs , or white supremacy groups.

But we have to also be honest while black youth arrest rates are higher so is the probability of a black youth in a urban street gang.

So again we are back to the topic of socioeconomic improvement.

How can racism exists without privilege? Are only poor people racists? The reluctance to accept that racial privilege exists is poorly conceived, IMO.

It's pretty simple. Racism and racial privilege are different concepts. They aren't intertwined concepts.

Your last paragraph is a huge problem I have with the concept. Also we have different definitions of emperical because you take anecdotes and link it to causation.

Allow me to rephrase my last sentence then. You can pretend instances that happen everyday where a black person may feel slighted whether or not the white decision-maker realizing it doesn't exist, but that doesn't make that correct.

In all seriousness, what is you definition of empirical?

It's pretty simple. Racism and racial privilege are different concepts. They aren't intertwined concepts.

So your premise is that a person can be a racist and not act upon their racism in a way that would be considered privilege.

For racial privilege to not exist, the above statement must be an absolute- if you believe racism exists.

Poorly conceived, IMO.

Allow me to rephrase my last sentence then. You can pretend instances that happen everyday where a black person may feel slighted whether or not the white decision-maker realizing it doesn't exist, but that doesn't make that correct.

In all seriousness, what is you definition of empirical?

The problem again with your point is you allow a small minority of racist define society.

So your premise is that a person can be a racist and not act upon their racism in a way that would be considered privilege.

For racial privilege to not exist, the above statement must be an absolute- if you believe racism exists.

Poorly conceived, IMO.

Haha not at all. Your reasoning is poor conceived.

I believe there are racist , who do racist things. Who don't care in the least bit about privilege just racism.

The concept of white privilege assumes that it is ingrained in all white people and society. That we have some card to some special club that whites only have.

When in reality in 2015 that just isn't the case. The only separation is wealth.

The concept of white privilege is a scape goat .

The problem again with your point is you allow a small minority of racist define society.

That's not even a little bit close to my point. I honestly don't even have much of a point. I read an article and it made me think. I'm confused that it is a controversial opinion to give validity to an account of one's experiences that are drastically different than my own. Frankly, I'm stunned that you can posit such an extreme stance.

Haha not at all. Your reasoning is poor conceived.

I believe there are racist , who do racist things. Who don't care in the least bit about privilege just racism.

The concept of white privilege assumes that it is ingrained in all white people and society. That we have some card to some special club that whites only have.

When in reality in 2015 that just isn't the case. The only separation is wealth.

The concept of white privilege is a scape goat .

Oh, so it can only be racial privilege if all white people believe it is.

So not only are minorities that believe that racial privilege exist using an argument that is beneath you, but because you say it doesn't exist as a white person, racial privilege is, then, a myth.

Circular and poorly conceived.

Should Americans address racial issues on exclusively socioeconomic terms? If this is the case, that is part of the problem. Choosing to ignore the issues that minorities are clearly pointing to- that is, also, a part of the problem. Let's discuss doing an honest assessment of privledge in all of its forms and try to progress forward.

That's not even a little bit close to my point. I honestly don't even have much of a point. I read an article and it made me think. I'm confused that it is a controversial opinion to give validity to an account of one's experiences that are drastically different than my own. Frankly, I'm stunned that you can posit such an extreme stance.

I find it comical that you find my stance extreme. I would argue the fact you call it extreme is part of the problem. Everyone wants to label any idea different from their own extreme.

I just find the concept of white privilege to be poorly thought out. What I've learned from this thread is most people siding with it here has really never read up on it outside of talking points.

What I've learned from this thread is most people siding with it here has really never read up on it outside of talking points.

Again, this is a part of the problem. Reading up on racial privledge doesn't make you an expert one way or the other. I am a black man in this country. I am telling you about my experiences. I am telling you that I believe that racial privilege exists. You are telling me that the concept is beneath you. You are telling me that you don't value my perspective above your own. You won't even consider investigating and attempting to understand my perspective.

You want me to read up on racial privledge? I am a black man in this country. I don't have to read about it, dude. I have lived it and experienced it first hand.

I find it comical that you find my stance extreme. I would argue the fact you call it extreme is part of the problem. Everyone wants to label any idea different from their own extreme.

I just find the concept of white privilege to be poorly thought out. What I've learned from this thread is most people siding with it here has really never read up on it outside of talking points.

Which is the essence of everyone finding your opinion extreme. Everyone who hasn't come to your side just hasn't thought it through or hasn't read enough.

Think about that logic in the context of the article that is the subject of this post. The entire concept of racial privilege isn't a card to a white's only club, but sometimes things happen that it might take a different perspective to pick up on. Again, argue the degree of its importance all you want. Argue affirmative action has led to some sort of black privilege. Change the word privilege to something else, but don't pretend like it doesn't ever exist.