July 13, 201511 yr To understand, you have to know that Black people think in terms of Black people. I think this is an issue which causes distrust as it relates to particularly some issues below. Black people think in terms of we because we live in a society where the social and political structures interact with us as Black people. Logical outcome of the first point. The system was made for White people, so White people don't have to think about living in it. The system was made for individuals. There have been further improvements to assure this is the case. People are dying because we are supporting a racist system that justifies White people killing Black people. This is not useful thinking but a by product of his first points! White people are good as a whole, and only act badly as individuals. The same would/could be said of all other groups, but the group-think/act mentality mentioned above cause mis-trust. I will stop there. He says a number of interesting things, and maybe at the end of the day, constructive, if he is willing to consider how his views can undermine progress. Another premise he stated that I don't agree with and forgot to mention in my post. I don't think there are many out there that are justifying a black person being shot and killed by a white person based solely on race, and if someone is (and I'm sure there are a few racists that do) then they are 100% categorically wrong. If I remember correctly, he also used as an example of racism the 12 yo black child in Cleveland being killed because he was waving a toy gun around. For one, wasn't it a black policeman that shot him (I could be mistaken)? And secondly, that, in my opinion is a very poor example to use to try and make the stand on which he is making, a split second decision being made in a possible life or death situation. The cop gunning down the black gentleman in North Charleston, which he also used, is a much better example and illustrates the issue he is raising.
July 13, 201511 yr This article, I believe is on target. I have no doubt that I am racist as the author describes it. I am willing to try and learn how not to be. I think I understand, but am not sure. I do not feel guilty nor do I empathize with people of color. I have never intentionally hurt or tried to make decisions about them because of their color. My thinking of myself with this can change and probably needs to. 30 years ago I had a conversation with a black man and several others, race came up. He asked if we thought Tolerence, which was the real buzz word and thinking of times, was good. We, all white, said yes. He then said " so you think I am happy being tolerated?'' I said I had never thought about it that way but I would not be happy being tolerated. He then said "until we are valued, nothing will change." 30 years later, not much really has. I have in how I think about it and how I put race and gender into perspective. Am I priveleged as a white male, who knows, but I can guarantee you I had more opportunities to get a job and earn more money because I am a white male. I also have not been profiled that I know of and been denied an opportunity for almost anything I want. Doesn't mean I got it, but I have had every opportunity. I do not believe that is the case with people of color or women. I understand why most of us think we are not racist because we really do value people of color and women. However, I do many of the other things the author describes. All I can do as a white male is try and understand and act accordingly. I can never put myself in a person of color or a female's skin because obviously, I am not. I can try and understand as much as I can, but that is what I can do. This will start with understanding and the willingness to understand and not getting hurt, defensive, angry, feeling guilt or empathizing. Those have not worked and won't. Until I begin behaving as I9we) understand at all times and change my actions which will eventually change my mindset, this would be an excellent start. This isn't a problem perpetuated by people of color or females but us at white males. On a side note, the white male that proclaims they are victims today or act like it just really do not get it and sadly may never.
July 13, 201511 yr I'm out. Discussing race is irritating and pretty damn stupid at this point. Y'all do you and I'm gonna do me. I have zero hope in a constructive discussion and zero hope for race relations in our future. I'll make sure my kids know how to act when they come across those rebel flags celebrating their heritage. I haven't raised any thugs but one false move and they'll be branded for life. It's interesting you said that Purple. This weekend I saw at least 5 trucks go by here in Martinsville that travelled as if in a convoy. Each sported various forms of Confederate Flags and the flag of North Carolina. In fact, the trucks all had Tar Heel license plates. I live literally on the border of VA and NC. I thought, "Are they showing their pride in heritage for the flag? Or are they looking to 'start something?'" Funny thing is, I thought, they didn't drive down the predominantly African-American populated areas of Martinsville. Hmmm. Can pride only be shown where I might create "something" but not too big of "something?" :idunno:
July 13, 201511 yr I don't know... I believe there is racism in all directions. However, I believe dwelling on it and focusing on being a victim isn't useful either. My company hires people. For entry level hourly people, a high school education is required and the person must pass a drug test. We have a very diverse hourly population, and it is a nice place to work which is our goal. In the professional ranks, we are anything but diverse. Out of ~135 professionals (mainly engineering) there are two black males, no black females, several people of Asian, Arabic or Mexican descent and maybe 20 white females. For every single job we post we look to become more diverse, but it is not happening. Where are all the black and female engineers?
July 13, 201511 yr Author If you want to look at it that way, everyone and everything can attributed to privileged. Doesn't have to be just race. Where you were born could be considered priviledge, what country you are from could be considered privileged, the era in which you were born could be considered privileged. Privileged to me sounds like a very vague catch all phrase or word that could include just about every aspect of life if you want to get right down to it. With that said, would you care to inform me how I have benefited personally? You seem to think you know me and what I've been through, so please enlighten me how I have benefited. I didn't go to College, why? because I couldn't afford it and couldn't get the financial aid. I joined the military because I couldn't afford college. I grew up with 8 people in our house that only had 3 bedrooms. I worked from the time I was in 4th grade in some capacity or another and earned everything I have today because of hard work. I've had to work 50-80 hours a week for years at my current job as I was performing many duties just to get to the position I am at. The only privilege I received was due to hard work and had nothing to do with the color of my skin. I was privileged to be born in America rather than some 3rd world country. That is the privilege I had, same privilege many other people of differing races have also I might add. sorry if I just don't by into the blame game. I hold everybody I ever meet to the same standards I hold for myself and that is to be accountable for your own actions and don't count on anyone else to get ahead in life, just count on yourself. Somehow, you believe that because you worked hard that you didn't benefit from some privledge based on your race. If you choose to believe that fantasy, that is your choice. I have worked hard as well, and I thoroughly believe that I have benefitted from privledge based on my gender, religion, nationality and, I even bet, my race. If you choose to believe that no problem exists because you can't comprehend how you could have benefitted from racial privledge, you continue to be a part of the problem.
July 13, 201511 yr No broader brush than labeling all white folks racist, ya think ?? There is irony in accusing someone of painting with a broad brush and then doing the painting yourself. That is what I pointed out.
July 13, 201511 yr Somehow, you believe that because you worked hard that you didn't benefit from some privledge based on your race. If you choose to believe that fantasy, that is your choice. I have worked hard as well, and I thoroughly believe that I have benefitted from privledge based on my gender, religion, nationality and, I even bet, my race. If you choose to believe that no problem exists because you can't comprehend how you could have benefitted from racial privledge, you continue to be a part of the problem. Haha there it is again if you don't believe what I say then you are the problem.
July 13, 201511 yr There is irony in accusing someone of painting with a broad brush and then doing the painting yourself. That is what I pointed out. But I didn't paint with broad brush. I pointed out over and over Academics in Sociology who push this social engineering concept of white privilege with its many flaws. The very basis of which has been repeated in here over and over. If you don't agree with it you are either racist or part of the problem.
July 13, 201511 yr Somehow, you believe that because you worked hard that you didn't benefit from some privledge based on your race. If you choose to believe that fantasy, that is your choice. I have worked hard as well, and I thoroughly believe that I have benefitted from privledge based on my gender, religion, nationality and, I even bet, my race. If you choose to believe that no problem exists because you can't comprehend how you could have benefitted from racial privledge, you continue to be a part of the problem. It is not perfectly clear to me...a middle-aged white guy how I directly benefitted from my color (wait...see next paragraph). I do know the government job I prepared myself for from high school through college was not available to me because ALL of the positions hired while I was eligible (age limit) went to minorities, women or veterans as reparations for previous hiring favoritism which I am sure existed. So, I was forced to follow a path other than what I wanted. Having said that...it has just come to me. I DO know many jobs, and the leads for these jobs, often comes from networking. And, if the people in the jobs are white and are networking with their white friends, then, there you have it. Is it racism? No, and I am not justifying it, but the network penalizes those not in the network equally...minorities and non-network whites...it is cronyism...alive and well in our government offices too.
July 13, 201511 yr But I didn't paint with broad brush. I pointed out over and over Academics in Sociology who push this social engineering concept of white privilege with its many flaws. The very basis of which has been repeated in here over and over. If you don't agree with it you are either racist or part of the problem. I'm talking about the concept of white privilege which was derived by sociology professors . I'm sure you've experienced racism and I wouldn't belittle that. But it is a different from the societal concept of white privilege . Your very post is why I have a problem with academia and it's concept of white privilege. It blurs the line of real racism. Academia
July 13, 201511 yr My 2 cents and that's all this is... I have no doubt in my mind that white privilege exists, and I'm certain I've benefited from it. There's certain things that I can do that I don't have to worry myself with that blacks and other minorities have to concern themselves with. If I interview for a job or a promotion and get passed over, I know it was based on reasons that I in some way can improve myself in. I can say with 100% certainty that I've never had to worry about the color of my skin impacting an employment decision. If I'm walking around a store browsing, I feel confident that I don't have to worry about store employees ever following me around or watching me with suspicious eyes because I'm white. I've never had to worry about other people crossing the street or avoiding eye contact with me when I pass them on the street simply because my skin color. To me that's white privilege. Now obviously these don't happen in every instance or all the time, but as a white male, they're things I know I'll never have to worry about experiencing. That to me is what white privilege is. Daily nuances and occurrences that I don't ever have to concern myself with or experience through no action of mine other than simply being white.
July 13, 201511 yr My 2 cents and that's all this is... I have no doubt in my mind that white privilege exists, and I'm certain I've benefited from it. There's certain things that I can do that I don't have to worry myself with that blacks and other minorities have to concern themselves with. If I interview for a job or a promotion and get passed over, I know it was based on reasons that I in some way can improve myself in. I can say with 100% certainty that I've never had to worry about the color of my skin impacting an employment decision. If I'm walking around a store browsing, I feel confident that I don't have to worry about store employees ever following me around or watching me with suspicious eyes because I'm white. I've never had to worry about other people crossing the street or avoiding eye contact with me when I pass them on the street simply because my skin color. To me that's white privilege. Now obviously these don't happen in every instance or all the time, but as a white male, they're things I know I'll never have to worry about experiencing. That to me is what white privilege is. Daily nuances and occurrences that I don't ever have to concern myself with or experience through no action of mine other than simply being white. But Condi Rice is a member of Augusta National. White privilege is a myth.
July 13, 201511 yr Author Haha there it is again if you don't believe what I say then you are the problem. If what we are discussing is the existance of racial privledge and you choose to believe that it doesn't exist, then, yes, you are a part of the problem. :thumb:
July 13, 201511 yr Academia There very next part of the sentence shows I wasn't talking about all of Academia but a specific segment? You proved my point ?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.