July 13, 201511 yr A poor white person can dress in their Sunday best and interview for a job and not have to wonder when they don't get a call back if it was because of their skin color. A poor black person, or even a well-off black person can't do the same. That is a perfect example of using racism as an excuse to justify the end. So you are claiming whenever a black person is interviewed and doesn't get a call back it has to be because of their skin color? If that is how many people feel then they may be a big reason this discussion is taking place in the first place because they will always use racism as an excuse to why they fail in certain areas of life. Wether there be any fact to back it up or not. Edited July 13, 201511 yr by Hellbird
July 13, 201511 yr Author The point is you keep stating that if I don't accept your premise that I'm either problem or racist. Again which is textbook false dichotomy by you. You are telling me there are no other scenarios other than accept you and the author's outlook on society or you are the problem and inherently racist. Like I said based on basic reasoning this makes zero sense. There are obviously other possible scenarios. I can't help you. :thumb:
July 13, 201511 yr He never said or implied any such thing. Go back and read the posts. He said privledge comes from wealth. I said only addressing socioeconomic issues is a lacking perspective. My perspective, so that it is clear for you and others, is not that wealth doesn't create privledge. It is that racial privledge exists and must be addressed as a part of conquering any racial divide we hope to bridge in this country. It is a primary factor and, in not recognizing it as such, you are complicit in the issue. My position is racism does exist. It can be trouble for people of all skin colors even more so minorities. But in 2015 socioeconomic factors play a much bigger role in one's success than the color of your skin. I won't buy that race is a bigger problem than socioeconomic factors such as education, jobs and crime. There is to much evidence supporting the out reach in the business and academic world of creating a diverse environment. Doing detailed research and and due dilligence to find quality candidates of all backgrounds. The problem is in some areas the lack of quality candidates. Which again goes back to education and jobs. Studies show people become comfortable across racial lines when people are deemed each others peers. How do we create this peer mentality. Educations and jobs. The entire problem with the White privilege concept again is the accusations and giant leaps to desired results. In the entirety no real solutions. When the socioeconomic approach that takes into account research on acceptance of peers is result driven.
July 13, 201511 yr I can't help you. :thumb: I'm not the one who doesn't understand basic reasoning concepts.
July 13, 201511 yr He never said or implied any such thing. Go back and read the posts. He said privledge comes from wealth. I said only addressing socioeconomic issues is a lacking perspective. My perspective, so that it is clear for you and others, is not that wealth doesn't create privledge. It is that racial privledge exists and must be addressed as a part of conquering any racial divide we hope to bridge in this country. It is a primary factor and, in not recognizing it as such, you are complicit in the issue. Personally I recognize white privilege as part of the problem, but only part of the problem. Also, just because someone is white does not automatically entitled them to this privilege that we are talking about. Without trying to sound disrespectful I see whites throughout Covington all the time that sport a look that is highly compatible with prison. With so many, no matter how long you scrub them down you're not going to get rid of all their tattoos that are crawling up their neck, or just about every other inch of their body, or certain behaviors that scream terrible upbringings. Cops profile these types too, and don't think that they don't, and these types also 99% of the time will be overlooked for jobs, if in fact they're even looking for work to begin with, and more clean cut people on the streets will no doubt be leary of them if sharing any close proximity with them on the sidewalk or surrounding areas. Not all low income whites fit this description, and it would be unfair of me to suggest that they do, however Covington has no shortage of the type that I described and there's no doubt in my mind that they're not getting overlooked by Covington's Finest in passing just because they are white. The officers know too well that all whites are not developed equally. I certainly agree that there is black profiling, and there's no doubt about it, but just as there are whites that know how to act in public and whites that disrupt the peace, you also have blacks that know how to act in public and blacks that disrupt the peace and I have to believe that most of the time a police officer can tell the difference. I agree though that blacks are more likely to be profiled before whites would be.
July 13, 201511 yr Personally I recognize white privilege as part of the problem, but only part of the problem. Also, just because someone is white does not automatically entitled them to this privilege that we are talking about. Without trying to sound disrespectful I see whites throughout Covington all the time that sport a look that is highly compatible with prison. With so many, no matter how long you scrub them down you're not going to get rid of all their tattoos that are crawling up their neck, or just about every other inch of their body, or certain behaviors that scream terrible upbringings. Cops profile these types too, and don't think that they don't, and these types also 99% of the time will be overlooked for jobs, if in fact they're even looking for work to begin with, and more clean cut people on the streets will no doubt be leary of them if sharing any close proximity with them on the sidewalk or surrounding areas. Not all low income whites fit this description, and it would be unfair of me to suggest that they do, however Covington has no shortage of the type that I described and there's no doubt in my mind that they're not getting overlooked by Covington's Finest in passing just because they are white. The officers know too well that all whites are not developed equally. I certainly agree that there is black profiling, and there's no doubt about it, but just as there are whites that know how to act in public and whites that disrupt the peace, you also have blacks that know how to act in public and blacks that disrupt the peace and I have to believe that most of the time a police officer can tell the difference. I agree though that blacks are more likely to be profiled before whites would be. Excellent post.
July 13, 201511 yr So does this mess of white privilege racism also include Obama's mom No dem had better vote for that racist white privilege Hillary
July 13, 201511 yr Author My position is racism does exist. It can be trouble for people of all skin colors even more so minorities. But in 2015 socioeconomic factors play a much bigger role in one's success than the color of your skin. I won't buy that race is a bigger problem than socioeconomic factors such as education, jobs and crime. There is to much evidence supporting the out reach in the business and academic world of creating a diverse environment. Doing detailed research and and due dilligence to find quality candidates of all backgrounds. The problem is in some areas the lack of quality candidates. Which again goes back to education and jobs. Studies show people become comfortable across racial lines when people are deemed each others peers. How do we create this peer mentality. Educations and jobs. The entire problem with the White privilege concept again is the accusations and giant leaps to desired results. In the entirety no real solutions. When the socioeconomic approach that takes into account research on acceptance of peers is result driven. Before any education or jobs program can be created, you have to address the idea of racial privledge. There are too many studies and experiences out there that cite education in predominantly minority areas as being culturally biased and job programs that didn't fit the bill in terms of delivering outcomes promised due to bias, prejudice and flat out corruption. Here is the thing, you want minority buy-in for socioeconomic programs, right? You want trust from minorities in these programs, no? We would agree that the programs would work the best if we have minority buy-in from the beginning, no? Minorities are telling you that before we can address those needs, we must address the divide created by racial privilege, whether real or contrived. If that issue isn't addressed, you don't get the buy-in from the groups these programs are designed to help. No buy-in means the program fails. The moment there is a hiccup, you allow the racial privledge p.o.v. to rear its head. Long term buy-in means perspectives must be heard and addressed. You want to create a job program for minorities, there had better be people that can eloquently speak to the issues of racial divide that minorities know are real- and that person had better look like me, represent my interests and address the issues head on. Edited July 13, 201511 yr by born2reign
July 13, 201511 yr Author I'm not the one who doesn't understand basic reasoning concepts. Ooooooh, you really got me with that zinger! :thumb: I'll address any posts you have with real substance.
July 13, 201511 yr That is a perfect example of using racism as an excuse to justify the end. So you are claiming whenever a black person is interviewed and doesn't get a call back it has to be because of their skin color? If that is how many people feel then they may be a big reason this discussion is taking place in the first place because they will always use racism as an excuse to why they fail in certain areas of life. Wether there be any fact to back it up or not. No. I'm stating that because of the not so distant past, when such practices were both legal and accepted, black people still have that concern. It wasn't until Affirmative Action that the practice was illegal. And even after, it took time for the legislation to be fully enforced. Many of those who are in the workforce then are grandparents and parents of children now. Injustices are hard to just put aside if you've been the victim. Once you experience a steady dose of them, you develop a mistrust of the systme, the "man", if you will. At the same time, people forced to change without their consent find more subtle ways, less likely to be detected as illegal, to continue the practice. And some people honestly may have no idea they are applying bias because the biases have been so subtly ingrained it becomes subconscious behavior. Think of the white parent who restricts theor white child from sleepovers at a black friend's house, but not at white friend's houses. There's no difference (in this example) in the family situations of the white or black families, just that the parent won't allow the sleepover. While the parent may not consiously realize what they are doing, they are creating the impression that something is wrong with sleeping over with a black friend. That children grow up, and the white child has the even more subtle bias, and the black child still wonders if it is because they are black. When I was growing up, my father was racist. He had a lot of reasons, from his experiences throughout his life. As he grew toward retirement and especially after retirement, though, he met black people that were totally unlike any he'd ever met before, and changed his views. I don't know the exact turning point. But I know he came to realize his white share cropping family and life wasn't that different from many black people's life in those times. (30's-50's) He also admired Muhammad Ali immensely and read and watched everything he could about him. I think my father found a way to empathize even though he still couldn't 100% relate to the overt racism he grew up with. I remember he told me one time that he didn't like black people because that's all he knew. Interestingly, he made a big deal of teaching all of his kids that racism is wrong and teaching us the ways that prejudice is practiced without being overt. There were many family "discussions" when my extended family would have get togethers. Some ended with some of my dad's brothers not speaking to him for a while.
July 13, 201511 yr Author Personally I recognize white privilege as part of the problem, but only part of the problem. Also, just because someone is white does not automatically entitled them to this privilege that we are talking about. Without trying to sound disrespectful I see whites throughout Covington all the time that sport a look that is highly compatible with prison. With so many, no matter how long you scrub them down you're not going to get rid of all their tattoos that are crawling up their neck, or just about every other inch of their body, or certain behaviors that scream terrible upbringings. Cops profile these types too, and don't think that they don't, and these types also 99% of the time will be overlooked for jobs, if in fact they're even looking for work to begin with, and more clean cut people on the streets will no doubt be leary of them if sharing any close proximity with them on the sidewalk or surrounding areas. Not all low income whites fit this description, and it would be unfair of me to suggest that they do, however Covington has no shortage of the type that I described and there's no doubt in my mind that they're not getting overlooked by Covington's Finest in passing just because they are white. The officers know too well that all whites are not developed equally. I certainly agree that there is black profiling, and there's no doubt about it, but just as there are whites that know how to act in public and whites that disrupt the peace, you also have blacks that know how to act in public and blacks that disrupt the peace and I have to believe that most of the time a police officer can tell the difference. I agree though that blacks are more likely to be profiled before whites would be. If your argument is that racial privledge is less signifigcant because of the racial profiling of white people, then I strongly disagree. Otherwise, I'm not sure where most of your post fits. We agree that racial privledge is an issue. We can actually begin having a real discussion. You can raise issues because you respected the perspective of minorities. Trust has been built to design solutions because of working from a platform of mutual respect of opinion. We can disagree about significance of racial privledge, but if minorities have to work to convince you of its existence then you can't be a part of the solution. You have lost too much trust, IMO.
July 14, 201511 yr No. I'm stating that because of the not so distant past, when such practices were both legal and accepted, black people still have that concern. It wasn't until Affirmative Action that the practice was illegal. And even after, it took time for the legislation to be fully enforced. Many of those who are in the workforce then are grandparents and parents of children now. Injustices are hard to just put aside if you've been the victim. Once you experience a steady dose of them, you develop a mistrust of the systme, the "man", if you will. At the same time, people forced to change without their consent find more subtle ways, less likely to be detected as illegal, to continue the practice. And some people honestly may have no idea they are applying bias because the biases have been so subtly ingrained it becomes subconscious behavior. Think of the white parent who restricts theor white child from sleepovers at a black friend's house, but not at white friend's houses. There's no difference (in this example) in the family situations of the white or black families, just that the parent won't allow the sleepover. While the parent may not consiously realize what they are doing, they are creating the impression that something is wrong with sleeping over with a black friend. That children grow up, and the white child has the even more subtle bias, and the black child still wonders if it is because they are black. When I was growing up, my father was racist. He had a lot of reasons, from his experiences throughout his life. As he grew toward retirement and especially after retirement, though, he met black people that were totally unlike any he'd ever met before, and changed his views. I don't know the exact turning point. But I know he came to realize his white share cropping family and life wasn't that different from many black people's life in those times. (30's-50's) He also admired Muhammad Ali immensely and read and watched everything he could about him. I think my father found a way to empathize even though he still couldn't 100% relate to the overt racism he grew up with. I remember he told me one time that he didn't like black people because that's all he knew. Interestingly, he made a big deal of teaching all of his kids that racism is wrong and teaching us the ways that prejudice is practiced without being overt. There were many family "discussions" when my extended family would have get togethers. Some ended with some of my dad's brothers not speaking to him for a while. My father in law is one of the most racist men I have ever met and is the reason we have nothing to do with him anymore. With thy that said, there will always be racist as I said earlier but I also don't know anyone that we hang out with who have ever refused to allow their kids to sleep over at a black friends house. Maybe I'm lucky because of the way we have raised our kids they tend to befriend those that have the same beliefs. Maybe that is why my sons best friend and college teammate who has stayed with us for 6 weeks over their winter break from college this past December and January as well as 3 weeks this summer is black. That at is why I get offended with articles such as the one about this topic in which someone states EVERY white person is racist. It it isn't that simple. Pardon the pun but everything isn't black and white. Labeling everyone as something just to fit an argument is just as bad as those that Actually do label people based on race.
July 14, 201511 yr There have been very few threads in my history of BGP that I'm at a loss for a reply to some of the posts. This one is that.
July 14, 201511 yr My father in law is one of the most racist men I have ever met and is the reason we have nothing to do with him anymore. With thy that said, there will always be racist as I said earlier but I also don't know anyone that we hang out with who have ever refused to allow their kids to sleep over at a black friends house. Maybe I'm lucky because of the way we have raised our kids they tend to befriend those that have the same beliefs. Maybe that is why my sons best friend and college teammate who has stayed with us for 6 weeks over their winter break from college this past December and January as well as 3 weeks this summer is black. That at is why I get offended with articles such as the one about this topic in which someone states EVERY white person is racist. It it isn't that simple. Pardon the pun but everything isn't black and white. Labeling everyone as something just to fit an argument is just as bad as those that Actually do label people based on race. I think what the author is trying to say is that , yes, you get angry because you are lumped in with the those who are. But step back and take an objective look without the personal feelings. Isn't that what we as a society have done to black people forever? Things are better. But you are right. Racism still exists. But when we as white people avoid the issue that is within our own "white community" we allow racism to continue. We as whites deal individually with the issue by avoiding racists, and feel good about ourselves because we do. But those racists are impacting others who will grow up with like biases. By avoiding confrontation or even uncomfortable discussion with racists, we help keep the cycle going.
July 14, 201511 yr If your argument is that racial privledge is less signifigcant because of the racial profiling of white people, then I strongly disagree. Otherwise, I'm not sure where most of your post fits. We agree that racial privledge is an issue. We can actually begin having a real discussion. You can raise issues because you respected the perspective of minorities. Trust has been built to design solutions because of working from a platform of mutual respect of opinion. We can disagree about significance of racial privledge, but if minorities have to work to convince you of its existence then you can't be a part of the solution. You have lost too much trust, IMO. I think that you can see that I recognize white privilege as being real. By pointing out that all whites are not treated equally is not an attempt to devalue the plea of blacks that white privilege exist, and is a significant issue. It's just me trying to point out that all whites do not fall under that category of being privileged, viewed as, or treated as such, so a blanket statement that all whites are privileged would be inaccurate, but I'm still not saying that white privilege does not exist, but it's not as top to bottom with white people as some would like to suggest. In some cases both the white and black profiling that exists is indeed warranted. If it looks like a duck, and acts like a duck, it's probably a duck. Please tell me that you do see undesired behavior coming from both white and black people. You didn't say this, but please also tell me that you don't believe that all of the problems that black people suffer are due to white people. If so, that would severely be allowing some people to act with no responsibility for their own actions, and also severely disrupt the possibility of moving forward in search of a solution. If that misconception continues to be perpetrated then we as a society will forever have a hard time correcting our racial problems. When white people out of bad behavior find themselves in jail or endless trouble related to it, what race do they blame for it.? People would laugh in their face if they were to blame it on blacks, however some blacks with their backs against the wall can shamelessly and knee-jerkingly start rooting for all the reasons for their hardships being attributed to how the white man has kept them down. Hogwash...comes a time that all people of all colors face the music and take responsibility for their own actions. There again if not the discussion and solutions remain elusive. Personally I don't identify myself with any race. I suppose that I'm white just because I am and would have to say so if asked if filling out a form, but besides that I'm just B-Ball-fan. I know that this is never likely to happen, but I wouldn't mind it if the world got over race completely and just identified with being living persons among the human race and just leveled the playing field, and quit being preoccupied with the color of each other's skin. Beyond that, biologically in general we are all just the same, with the same internal organs that keep us alive. When it comes to our character then it's got a lot to do with either the good or bad influences in our lives and the choices we make accordingly. Wouldn't it be swell if the message was echoed and heard throughout the land to pay each other with mutual respect and that somehow all of humanity adhered to that? Wishful thinking I suppose, but still not a bad thought.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.