Confederate flag

LOOGY

Confederate flag needs to go. There is not a single person alive today that can claim it as a core part of "their generation". It should have been banned after the Civil War, Just as the Nazi Swastika went away after WWII.

But yet it hasnt went away and is still out there.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The economics worked both ways. Had the South been successful in establishing its own nation, farm exports from the upper Midwest would have had to be shipped down the Mississippi River through another country's port (New Orleans). That was an option totally unacceptable to the northern states.

Interestingly enough, the Civil War also forced England to turn to places like Egypt and India as sources of cotton. So the South's role as the world's chief supplier of king cotton was seriously compromised regardless of whether it had been able to secede.

But yet it hasnt went away and is still out there.

It is still out there but it is frowned upon and not celebrated by German communities, unless it is a skinhead/white supremecy community. You won't see the swastika in public places or sold as souvenirs in Germany.

The economics worked both ways. Had the South been successful in establishing its own nation, farm exports from the upper Midwest would have had to be shipped down the Mississippi River through another country's port (New Orleans). That was an option totally unacceptable to the northern states.

Interestingly enough, the Civil War also forced England to turn to places like Egypt and India as sources of cotton. So the South's role as the world's chief supplier of king cotton was seriously compromised regardless of whether it had been able to secede.

Put the slave issue aside, we all know that was terrible. But I do find it interesting to imagine if the southeastern states were there own country in today's world. Trade agreements, college sports would be totally different, no hanging chads, UK basketball, PCB spring break shenanigans.

Put the slave issue aside, we all know that was terrible. But I do find it interesting to imagine if the southeastern states were there own country in today's world. Trade agreements, college sports would be totally different, no hanging chads, UK basketball, PCB spring break shenanigans.

You left out the slave trade.

Is the Nazi Germany flag banned?

Is any Islamic flag banned?

I understand people wanting to not be associated with something, but man this is a slippery slope..........

No one is banning the Confederate flag. No one.

It is still out there but it is frowned upon and not celebrated by German communities, unless it is a skinhead/white supremecy community. You won't see the swastika in public places or sold as souvenirs in Germany.

It's completely banned in Germany due to their different view on hate speech. And so, when a neo-Nazi in Germany wants to show his support for racist ideas, guess which flag he uses...

You left out the slave trade.

"Put the slave issue aside..."

The post was more meant in jest and maybe a funny topic for another thread. While the US has a bad past, I do not think it would have evolved in to a third world country with an open slave trade in 2015.

I am all for it coming off buildings in the state capital.

What are we going to do though when the rise get louder to remove monuments like they wanted in Frankfort.....or maybe even remove plaques and things like Stone Mountain or Fort Sumter?

"Put the slave issue aside..."

The post was more meant in jest and maybe a funny topic for another thread. While the US has a bad past, I do not think it would have evolved in to a third world country with an open slave trade in 2015.

One of my favorite history "what ifs" is wondering how long slavery would have survived had the south gained it's independence.

A good satirical mocumentary is "The Confederate States of America".

Obviously the South fought the war based entirely around economics. Slavery made free labor and they (they being plantation owners) didn't want to pay labor. So of course the war was fought to keep slavery , motivated by almighty dollar.

I do think Lincoln gets a little to much credit. While sure ending slavery was a minor part of the Norths motivation, the real motivation was to stop the South from breaking off.

True, Lincoln really only used slavery as something to rally around to maintain the union...that was his priority. The Emancipation Proclamation only freed slaves in the states that had seceded, it didn't free slaves in Kentucky or any other state that didn't officially secede. Thankfully all were freed later in 1865 with the ratification of the 13th Amendment