June 26, 201511 yr A Facebook Friend Posted this...interesting, so I thought I would share it here...with his permission. On the flag issue...a few things I'd like to say. First, I reanacted as a Confederate soldier for about 20 years. I have no regrets and would do it again. I'd go Federal too for that matter. The point is I was doing it for historical purposes and not for any other reason. Now, the flag. It was one of hundreds of battle flags used by the Confederacy. Each regiment had its own battle flag. But, this particular one caught on because, like it or not, it's a nice looking flag. It was used as the canton of the 2nd & 3rd national flags. So it's not THE Confederate flag but is related. It seems the battle flag became the symbol of the South during efforts of desegregation and the rise of the Dixiecrats. This is the era when state capitols began flying it and incorporating it into their state flags. It was an act of defiance to desegregation. That being said, in my opinion, the flags need to come down. They weren't placed there to honor anyone. I believe we must look at for what purpose was it flown. I'm only talking about state Capitols. At cemeteries and other memorials the purpose of the flag is honor. They usually have the national flags flying instead of the battle flag anyway. The flag does not bother me in the 19th century context. Now let's talk about the 19th century. I've heard some talking heads labeling all Confederate soldiers as being traitors. Technically they are correct. But it is not that simple. 19th century America was a much different place than today. People were more tied emotionally to their state than to the Union. We were not too far removed from the debates of whether to become United or not. Most southerners were merely defending his state from a perceived invasion by northerners. Most Confederate soldiers did not and could never own slaves. One slave cost more than most made in a year. These guys were fighting for honor not slavery. They were not traitors; they rose up to defend their state's honor. Was slavery the cause of the war? Without a doubt. Without slavery there would not have been secession or a war. Like most wars, it was started by the rich and powerful in an attempt to protect their interests and it was fought by the poor who probably did not completely understand what they were fighting for except honor and "states rights." Slavery was a wicked institution and southerners of the 19th century were born into it. Many were uncomfortable with it. They called it the "peculiar institution." Blacks were demonized and dehumanized by slaveholders to make owning slaves more palatable. This is what nonslaveholders in the South grew to believe about African Americans. They feared the them. Slavery was also very profitable and had made the South, at least 10% of population, rich. They weren't going to give it up. My point? (I'm wondering the same thing here) My point is that like almost every single issue this issue is not simply black and white. Yes that flag has been raised for blatant racist reasons. But it was also fought under by thousands of brave men who were no more racist than their northern counterparts. It's ok to honor these men as surely as its okay to honor George Washington and Thomas Jefferson. And it's time to remove the Dixiecrat battle flags that were flown for dishonorable purposes. My two cents. Sorry if I rambled a bit and I apologize if I got any info wrong.
June 26, 201511 yr A Facebook Friend Posted this...interesting, so I thought I would share it here...with his permission. Tell your friend that was an awesome post.
June 26, 201511 yr Can anyone post the picture of the Clinton/Gore campaign pins with the Confederate Flag on them? Also didn't Bill campaign for something to do with the confederate flag when he was Governor of Arkansas? Not that that means anything. Just throwing it out there
June 26, 201511 yr Can anyone post the picture of the Clinton/Gore campaign pins with the Confederate Flag on them? Also didn't Bill campaign for something to do with the confederate flag when he was Governor of Arkansas? Not that that means anything. Just throwing it out there Snopes sort of cut that thing to shreds earlier this week as most likely a fraud, but the picture is in the article. Snopes on the Clinton/Gore Confederate Flag
June 26, 201511 yr Can anyone post the picture of the Clinton/Gore campaign pins with the Confederate Flag on them? Also didn't Bill campaign for something to do with the confederate flag when he was Governor of Arkansas? Not that that means anything. Just throwing it out there I think they are on here somewhere. I think there was actually a Clinton-Gore 92 presidential campaign pin also. And yes it does mean something. It shows the pandering done by both sides of the aisle. Amazing that Clinton was able to pull that off while being the "first black president".
June 26, 201511 yr Snopes sort of cut that thing to shreds earlier this week as most likely a fraud, but the picture is in the article. Snopes on the Clinton/Gore Confederate Flag Well damn, the Internet lied again.
June 26, 201511 yr Author I do think it's funny people celebrate a treasonous flag. And I also think it's funny that a treasonous flag to the U.S. Is/was displayed on government buildings.
June 26, 201511 yr People keep going back to "it should stay up because it's our heritage." What part of "our heritage" does this flag represent that you feel like it needs to be displayed atop a Capitol building? What are we celebrating? Seceding? Slavery? Losing a war? Just because something may be in my family history (I haven't done the research, I have no idea) doesn't mean I condone it. And it damn sure doesn't mean it needs to be celebrated so publicly. That flag means nothing to me and my "heritage". I have no problem with anyone having the right to own and fly one if they so choose. I'll instantly judge them, but I respect their rights. But saying that... On a Capitol Building? Seriously?
June 26, 201511 yr People keep going back to "it should stay up because it's our heritage." What part of "our heritage" does this flag represent that you feel like it needs to be displayed atop a Capitol building? What are we celebrating? Seceding? Slavery? Losing a war? Just because something may be in my family history (I haven't done the research, I have no idea) doesn't mean I condone it. And it damn sure doesn't mean it needs to be celebrated so publicly. That flag means nothing to me and my "heritage". I have no problem with anyone having the right to own and fly one if they so choose. I'll instantly judge them, but I respect their rights. But saying that... On a Capitol Building? Seriously? I probably would, too. If someone is obese, I don't judge - there could be any number of causes. Same if someone is poor or dirty or any number of things. But fly the stars and bars out your window or stick it on your car bumper? Fair or not, I'm probably gonna judge.
June 26, 201511 yr I probably would, too. If someone is obese, I don't judge - there could be any number of causes. Same if someone is poor or dirty or any number of things. But fly the stars and bars out your window or stick it on your car bumper? Fair or not, I'm probably gonna judge. It's a trump card for me. I just don't get it. If my grandfather fought for the Nazis in World War II, I'd feel great shame. I wouldn't feel the need to fly a Swastika on my front porch. That's not to say I wouldn't acknowledge my history. But I wouldn't be proud of it.
June 26, 201511 yr It's a trump card for me. I just don't get it. If my grandfather fought for the Nazis in World War II, I'd feel great shame. I wouldn't feel the need to fly a Swastika on my front porch. That's not to say I wouldn't acknowledge my history. But I wouldn't be proud of it. Why be ashamed. Unless he was a military leader he probably wouldn't have had much choice. It's not like the German citizens were given much choice other than to follow the Nazi lead of be killed. I can understand why you wouldn't celebrate that fact, but I'm not sure I would be ashamed by it either. My family is of German heritage. They came to the states prior to WW1. My great grandfather served during WW1 and my grandfather during WW2. However, had their ancestors not came to the states when they did, I guess there would be a pretty good chance that one or both of them would have fought on the German side instead. That's also pretty much how I see the Confederate soliders. I really don't see them as traitors. I suspect that had the individuals been born in the north as opposed to the south they would have worn blue into battle instead of gray. Thats not to say that I don't see the act of succession from the Union as being treasonous, but I fault that on the leadership of the state governments and not on the common citizens.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.