June 29, 201511 yr All anyone is asking for is to remove them from government buildings. I'll leave the rest of your post alone out of respect for your opinion. You can't change my mind about the flag either. I was in front of the South Carolina capital yesterday and I promise you this isn't the case. Those guys was that flag removed from t-shirts, hankys, and everything else and if you don't agree then you are labeled a racist. Watched it with my own eyes and heard it with my own ears.
June 29, 201511 yr If I was a cop I would be. I'm not a cop. I am black though. What if the cop were black?
June 29, 201511 yr Personally the idea of someone being able to fly the flag isn't cool with me, though it does act as a sign for me. It screams racist and I know who they are. I can keep my eye on them instead of them sneaking up my back. Most of the time that I have had interactions with people who are into that, they were racist or separatist at best. Me being white and my wife being black, our kids being mixed has opened my eyes to see things from a neutral place. There is hatred on both sides black and white. I shake my head at the ignorance that still exist in a " civil " society. You can't say trust me with a badge of hatred on your porch, car or t-shirts. Sometimes to move forward you have to let go of the past. This may be one of those times. How do you feel about the protestors holding up the "black power" sign?
June 29, 201511 yr And in doing so, they defended slavery as a way of life. And while many who fought didn't own slaves, they had little choice in the matter of choosing to fight or not. All of the states mentioned slavery in their reasons for leaving the Union. It's not hard to understand why so many find it's symbolism troubling. Sorry, while some of the causes may be noble, the slavery part is not noble, and cannot be ignored. Furthermore, the fact that this flag wasn't flown again until the Civil Rights Movement in 1962 as a form of protest, makes it even more offensive to many. There's just too much bad associated with the Stars and Bars for most to ever recognize any good that may be associated with it. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
June 29, 201511 yr Anyway, if my support and love for this flag offends you, so be it but I will say sorry you feel that way but at the end of the day I can't change my feelings toward the South and this flag, they are a big part of me and if you can't accept that then so be it. How is this flag a big part of you? Why do you care so much about the flag?
June 29, 201511 yr I was in front of the South Carolina capital yesterday and I promise you this isn't the case. Those guys was that flag removed from t-shirts, hankys, and everything else and if you don't agree then you are labeled a racist. Watched it with my own eyes and heard it with my own ears. Of course there will be those on the extreme side of the issue. That extremism goes both ways. In Harrodsburg on Saturday evening a bunch of rebel flag supporters hoisted the flags high on their trucks and made laps in the Walmart parking lot and one is heard screaming out what people believe was the n word to a group of black people standing outside of Walmart. If I could get videos from Facebook onto BGP I'd post the video here. For most people that I have been involved with including some who defend the flag a large majority are okay with it not being flown on government buildings. That is who I am speaking of. I'm sure there are some people who think the rebel flag should be the flag of the USA also.
June 29, 201511 yr How do you feel about the protestors holding up the "black power" sign? While their racist intent towards whites is wrong to compare the two is disingenuous. White power and the rebel flag takes on a whole different scope than black power and raised fist.
June 29, 201511 yr We still have not progressed as a society to the point that an individual is judged on his character and his alone. There are still to much stereotyping and lumping groups of people together. I am responsible for me and should be judged accordingly. By the way notice the nice flag there. This was this year 2015 in Erlanger, NKY. The discussion about the flag should be over. I think this pic seals the issue people have with it. What it "may" have stood for is not the value it stands for now. Makes me sick people defend it.
June 29, 201511 yr I saw a truck if you can call it that (mostly rust and primer) this weekend with a large Rebel Flag and a large Kentucky state flag flying from the back of the truck. This weekend was the monthly Somernites Cruise in Somerset and the highway was crowded with hundreds maybe even a few thousand people sitting along the sides of the roads watching the hot rods from the cruise. This guy drove up and down the road for a few hours, but his was the only overt display of the flag that I saw...I was told that he was was from a neighboring county. There was at least one 911 call of someone complaining that someone (members of our local motorcycle gang) was waving the flag outside of a bar downtown late that night. I think this is going to have the opposite impact that most had hoped, I think rednecks and racist will come out of the woods to fly the flag now.
June 29, 201511 yr I think rednecks and racist will come out of the woods to fly the flag now. And then they will be exposed and such.
June 29, 201511 yr I saw a truck if you can call it that (mostly rust and primer) this weekend with a large Rebel Flag and a large Kentucky state flag flying from the back of the truck. This weekend was the monthly Somernites Cruise in Somerset and the highway was crowded with hundreds maybe even a few thousand people sitting along the sides of the roads watching the hot rods from the cruise. This guy drove up and down the road for a few hours, but his was the only overt display of the flag that I saw...I was told that he was was from a neighboring county. There was at least one 911 call of someone complaining that someone (members of our local motorcycle gang) was waving the flag outside of a bar downtown late that night. I think this is going to have the opposite impact that most had hoped, I think rednecks and racist will come out of the woods to fly the flag now. Unfortunately that is often the result.
June 29, 201511 yr I saw a truck if you can call it that (mostly rust and primer) this weekend with a large Rebel Flag and a large Kentucky state flag flying from the back of the truck. This weekend was the monthly Somernites Cruise in Somerset and the highway was crowded with hundreds maybe even a few thousand people sitting along the sides of the roads watching the hot rods from the cruise. This guy drove up and down the road for a few hours, but his was the only overt display of the flag that I saw...I was told that he was was from a neighboring county. There was at least one 911 call of someone complaining that someone (members of our local motorcycle gang) was waving the flag outside of a bar downtown late that night. I think this is going to have the opposite impact that most had hoped, I think rednecks and racist will come out of the woods to fly the flag now. And the point about the flag's meaning will be proven and maybe some who have been defending it will see the true meaning and purpose of the flag.
June 29, 201511 yr I saw a truck if you can call it that (mostly rust and primer) this weekend with a large Rebel Flag and a large Kentucky state flag flying from the back of the truck. This weekend was the monthly Somernites Cruise in Somerset and the highway was crowded with hundreds maybe even a few thousand people sitting along the sides of the roads watching the hot rods from the cruise. This guy drove up and down the road for a few hours, but his was the only overt display of the flag that I saw...I was told that he was was from a neighboring county. There was at least one 911 call of someone complaining that someone (members of our local motorcycle gang) was waving the flag outside of a bar downtown late that night. I think this is going to have the opposite impact that most had hoped, I think rednecks and racist will come out of the woods to fly the flag now. And then they will be exposed and such. So much for the Invisible Empire.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.