Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Confederate flag

Featured Replies

I heard you the first time.

 

I disagree.

 

ALL racism is hate and ALL should be condemned.

 

How do you qualify hate? Is one lesser than the other? I think not.

 

Yes, one act of hate can be worse than the other. Not a hard concept.

  • Replies 387
  • Views 36.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate stewed tomatoes.

I'm not clicking on your link.

 

I doubt whatever it is shows anyone being killed/lynched with this as a flag in the background. I doubt that people's homes were burned to the ground with this as a flag in the background.

 

Just not quite the same thing.

 

The link references the song "Rainbow in the Dark", by Ronnie James Dio. A song that Dio says is mostly about the depression and isolationism he felt toward the end of his stint in Black Sabbath (he replaced Ozzy for a couple albums for those who don't know). He's said that in this song he's talking about the fact that "you have this tremendous potential inside you and you yourself know you have it but whatever or whoever your demon is it holds you back"

 

The album this song is on, "Holy Diver" was somewhat famous for it's album cover. It featured the mascot for Dio (which could be interpreted as a demon whipping a priest shackled in chains around and into a stormy sea. Obviously, this created some controversy and accusations that the album had Satanic themes (like many metal albums in the 1980's). Also people have said when you turn the Dio logo upside down it reads "Devil". As to what he meant by all this, who knows. Dio's lyrics are famous for their basis in fantasy, mysticism and he often points out the hypocrisy and duality in things like religion and romance.

 

I'm not sure why this was used as an example of a rainbow being used as a symbol for hate. The organized "Hearing Aid", metals version of Live Aid the raised millions to feed children, and money is still being raised in his name to fight cancer. Dio wasn't a guy known to hate.

 

DioHolyDiver199023091_f.jpg

I heard you the first time.

 

I disagree.

 

ALL racism is hate and ALL should be condemned.

 

How do you qualify hate? Is one lesser than the other? I think not.

 

I'm not qualifying hate. I'm showing you how one brand of hate has far more reaching ramifications than the other.

 

How are you missing that in my point?

There is no equating taking down the Confederate Flag from government buildings with dissallowing a rainbow display on a government buildings. Horseshoes and hand grenades.

 

Since when? Really I've 47 years old and I've never witnessed the uproar of the Confederate flag the way I have over the last week or two. Sure there have been some protest and people complaining but nothing like this. Now that flag/symbol is being put in the same category as the swastika.

 

The rainbow thing offends millions of people in the country. Why can their voices not be heard also?

 

Regarding the deplorable events in Charleston, why isn't there more people upset that Christians were murdered? I understand the victims are black and the shooter was a racist/supremist but he also got upset over a scripture reading and taunted them about praying.

Since when? Really I've 47 years old and I've never witnessed the uproar of the Confederate flag the way I have over the last week or two. Sure there have been some protest and people complaining but nothing like this. Now that flag/symbol is being put in the same category as the swastika.

 

The rainbow thing offends millions of people in the country. Why can their voices not be heard also?

 

Regarding the deplorable events in Charleston, why isn't there more people upset that Christians were murdered? I understand the victims are black and the shooter was a racist/supremist but he also got upset over a scripture reading and taunted them about praying.

Their voices can be heard. Bad grammar offends me. My voice can be heard. However, the confederate flag is a symbol of racism and hatred to many. Look no further than this despicable filth that killed the nine this time around. He didn't have a flag with him on that day, but it has been present for lynchings and burning of buildings on the past. The rainbow flag has not.

 

Be offended. I really do get it. But they are no where near the same thing.

Their voices can be heard. Bad grammar offends me. My voice can be heard. However, the confederate flag is a symbol of racism and hatred to many. Look no further than this despicable filth that killed the nine this time around. He didn't have a flag with him on that day, but it has been present for lynchings and burning of buildings on the past. The rainbow flag has not.

 

Be offended. I really do get it. But they are no where near the same thing.

 

Am I right that the uproar over the Confederate flag has ramped up over the past to weeks to new levels or have I been under a rock? When was the last time someone was lynched? I'm being dead serious with those questions because I really think I have missed something.

I'm not qualifying hate. I'm showing you how one brand of hate has far more reaching ramifications than the other.

 

How are you missing that in my point?

 

Not missing the point. I disagree with it.

 

There is an argument to be made for the past. Not as much IMHO in 2015.

Not missing the point. I disagree with it.

 

There is an argument to be made for the past. Not as much IMHO in 2015.

 

Whatever....

Am I right that the uproar over the Confederate flag has ramped up over the past to weeks to new levels or have I been under a rock? When was the last time someone was lynched? I'm being dead serious with those questions because I really think I have missed something.

It has ramped up. When someone walks in a church and kills nine black men and women, because of his hatred for blacks and when there are photos of him with the flag in a state that still has said flag on Capitol grounds AND didn't lower it when they lowered the American flag, yes there would rightly be a bit of a new uproar about it.

 

As as near as I can tell, the Nazis fell in 1945. Though that has been a long time ago, I can still link the atrocities committed to the swastizka, just as I can link the Confederate flag to atrocities that were committed with it as a symbol in the past.

It has ramped up. When someone walks in a church and kills nine black men and women, because of his hatred for blacks and when there are photos of him with the flag in a state that still has said flag on Capitol grounds AND didn't lower it when they lowered the American flag, yes there would rightly be a bit of a new uproar about it.

 

As as near as I can tell, the Nazis fell in 1945. Though that has been a long time ago, I can still link the atrocities committed to the swastizka, just as I can link the Confederate flag to atrocities that were committed with it as a symbol in the past.

 

I guess I never viewed the Conderate flag as evil. To me it represents the southern part of the country, good and bad. If you asked me to name the top 3 things associated with the Confederate flag I would say: 1. The Dukes of Hazard, 2. Lynard Skynard 3. The Civil War.

 

One guys actions nor the actions of other idiots changes that for me. That's just my personal take but I do understand that I'm white.

 

Anyway, if it offends a large segment of the population then take it down. At the same time I see no reason for the White House to thumb it's nose at an even larger segment of the population by turning itself into the rainbow house. To me that was done in poor taste and with spiteful intent.

I guess I never viewed the Conderate flag as evil. To me it represents the southern part of the country, good and bad. If you asked me to name the top 3 things associated with the Confederate flag I would say: 1. The Dukes of Hazard, 2. Lynard Skynard 3. The Civil War.

 

One guys actions nor the actions of other idiots changes that for me. That's just my personal take but I do understand that I'm white.

 

Anyway, if it offends a large segment of the population then take it down. At the same time I see no reason for the White House to thumb it's nose at an even larger segment of the population by turning itself into the rainbow house. To me that was done in poor taste and with spiteful intent.

I understand that there are those that do not equate the confederate flag to racist atrocities. Perhaps it is just that they have never seen the history behind it.

 

Is is it possible that the rainbow display was in celebration instead of on spite? To me, probably. Even if there was any spite, it cannot come close to comparison with what has happened related to racism with the confederate flag.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.