June 30, 201511 yr Lawnboy, in a large way I agree with your feelings. As I stated before that flag represents harmless issues to me personally. However, after 10 pages and many post I can sympothize with Purple Pride. Given that I'm fine with the flag being removed from government buildings. My fear, like in most cases, is that this is just the tip of the iceburg. The Jefferson Davis statues will soon also be removed and on and on. The reality is this is part of our history and removing these items won't change that. We live in a day and age where I think the vast majority of American's would be appauled at the thought of enslaving another individual flag or no flag. Agree In no way was I trying to discredit his, or anyone else's feelings. Agree, were does it end?
June 30, 201511 yr Agree In no way was I trying to discredit his, or anyone else's feelings. Agree, were does it end? It will never end.
June 30, 201511 yr Are you referring to Ferguson? Wherever there was rioting. I was trying to help you understand the difference in the two situations you asked for help in.
July 1, 201511 yr Provide me evidence that Jefferson Davis, the Confederate States, et al sanctioned or supported the wholesale massacre of blacks/slaves, then I might buy your argument. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Fort_Pillow Don't know if this is what you are looking for, but it's a start. The Confederate soldier?s view of the Colored Soldier | American Civil War Forums
July 1, 201511 yr Wherever there was rioting. I was trying to help you understand the difference in the two situations you asked for help in. I was on your side in this debate until you tried to defend rioters. They are as big of idiots if not bigger than the people holdin confederate flag rallies. There is a rule of law to the land and no matter your gripe burning buildings to the ground is not the answer. Most the people doing the rioting were 25 years old or less they don't even know what real racism looked like in this country. To compare the last 20 years of America to the 1960s is a false narrative being displayed on TV and in the news. We are light years away as a society from where we were. Work needs to be done. But this society of hyperbole needs to stop.
July 1, 201511 yr I was on your side in this debate until you tried to defend rioters. They are as big of idiots if not bigger than the people holdin confederate flag rallies. There is a rule of law to the land and no matter your gripe burning buildings to the ground is not the answer. Most the people doing the rioting were 25 years old or less they don't even know what real racism looked like in this country. To compare the last 20 years of America to the 1960s is a false narrative being displayed on TV and in the news. We are light years away as a society from where we were. Work needs to be done. But this society of hyperbole needs to stop. I wasn't defending the rioters. Never have. Never will. I was explaining the mindset of the rioters. The dead giveaway should have been when I referred to them as "they and their" and not "us or we". Not one time have I ever defended the rioters and I never will. He said help me understand why and I broke down the mindset of the people who were rioting. Please tell me where I said they were right and should be rioting and defending their actions. I'll wait.......
July 1, 201511 yr I wasn't defending the rioters. Never have. Never will. I was explaining the mindset of the rioters. The dead giveaway should have been when I referred to them as "they and their" and not "us or we". Not one time have I ever defended the rioters and I never will. He said help me understand why and I broke down the mindset of the people who were rioting. Please tell me where I said they were right and should be rioting and defending their actions. I'll wait....... Hey PP, I want to tell you that I have enjoyed the civil interaction. My initial feelings was taking down the flag was stupid but through this thread I see your point. I agree that it needs to be taken off government buildings. Like I said I never viewed it as offensive but I certainly see where you are coming from. It's been eye opening.
July 1, 201511 yr Hey PP, I want to tell you that I have enjoyed the civil interaction. My initial feelings was taking down the flag was stupid but through this thread I see your point. I agree that it needs to be taken off government buildings. Like I said I never viewed it as offensive but I certainly see where you are coming from. It's been eye opening. I truly appreciate that. That's all I ever strive for is to try to get some understanding how blacks feel because I think people don't always understand how things feel for black people and I understand that it is hard for people to understand it if they haven't lived it. All I ever try to do is present the black perspective.
July 1, 201511 yr Are those available at Wal Mart? That's kinda cool...I'm flying that sucker tonight!:lol2:
July 1, 201511 yr Hey PP, I want to tell you that I have enjoyed the civil interaction. My initial feelings was taking down the flag was stupid but through this thread I see your point. I agree that it needs to be taken off government buildings. Like I said I never viewed it as offensive but I certainly see where you are coming from. It's been eye opening. This is exactly why I am on BGP. I enjoy new perspectives and challenges to my beliefs. It doesn't work for me if it is forced or when someone simply wants to attack, but BGP continually helps shape who I am.
July 1, 201511 yr This is exactly why I am on BGP. I enjoy new perspectives and challenges to my beliefs. It doesn't work for me if it is forced or when someone simply wants to attack, but BGP continually helps shape who I am. Same here.
July 1, 201511 yr This is exactly why I am on BGP. I enjoy new perspectives and challenges to my beliefs. It doesn't work for me if it is forced or when someone simply wants to attack, but BGP continually helps shape who I am. If round and flabby is a shape, I have to agree. Pretty close to the shape I'm in.
July 2, 201511 yr I truly appreciate that. That's all I ever strive for is to try to get some understanding how blacks feel because I think people don't always understand how things feel for black people and I understand that it is hard for people to understand it if they haven't lived it. All I ever try to do is present the black perspective. For the record I still don't know what it is like to be black.
July 2, 201511 yr This is exactly why I am on BGP. I enjoy new perspectives and challenges to my beliefs. It doesn't work for me if it is forced or when someone simply wants to attack, but BGP continually helps shape who I am. Yeah, I think sometimes when we write things the come across as much more harsh than they would if we were speaking. I really have enjoyed this thread and some of the others currently going on. There are some things that I'm unwavering about, principle things, but in this circumstance I just found it interesting that something I saw as harmless was so offensive to other. Like I said pretty eye opening.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.