Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Confederate flag

Featured Replies

I'm amazed at the number of people who refuse to acknowledge the role of slavery and state's rights when it comes to the Civil War. Truly. Amazed.

 

I think that many would separate these two as part of the causality issues. I would think state's rights is an ongoing issue, regardless of your proximity to the Mason-Dixon line.

  • Replies 387
  • Views 36.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that many would separate these two as part of the causality issues. I would think state's rights is an ongoing issue, regardless of your proximity to the Mason-Dixon line.

 

"States Rights" has been an issue since the Articles of Confederation vs The Constitution. The key factor for much of our history that has driven that issue has been slavery/subjugation. (With that second word I incorporate post Civil War attempts by states for Segregation through Jim Crow laws and views of such as an individual state.)

Slavery is the “cornerstone” of the Confederacy.

 

When the VP of the confederacy states that its foundations are laid and cornerstone rest with slavery and that black people are not equal and should be slaves, I don't see how anyone can say that there was any other reason for secession.

 

“Our new Government is founded upon exactly the opposite ideas; its foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and moral condition.

 

This, our new Government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth.

 

It is upon this, as I have stated, our social fabric is firmly planted.”

 

Alexander Stephens - Vice President of the Confederacy

I'm amazed at the number of people who refuse to acknowledge the role of slavery and state's rights when it comes to the Civil War. Truly. Amazed.

 

I think it's because some don't want to realize that their recent ancestors didn't feel that black people were equal and/or should have the same rights as whites (I'm being nice on my wording). But heck, it's ok! It was a different time, it's not knocking anyone's ancestors, they were just wrong in their thinking)

 

Others fail to see that this flag only came about during the 40's and 50's and it's ONLY reason was being against civll rights. I posted a video a few days ago from Young Turks that explains it perfectly.

I'm surprised (well, not really) that there are people that think flying the confederate flag is okay. The whole I'm proud of my southern heritage argument is just illogical IMO. That's like a descendent of Germany flying a Nazi flag because they're proud of their German heritage.

I'm surprised (well, not really) that there are people that think flying the confederate flag is okay. The whole I'm proud of my southern heritage argument is just illogical IMO. That's like a descendent of Germany flying a Nazi flag because they're proud of their German heritage.

 

I mostly agree with you, but as of late, I've come to the realization that some that defend the flag as "heritage" or "southern" have not tied the promotion of slavery or atrocities committed against blacks with the flag.

 

It's just going to get worse, too. I listened to a discussion of this on NPR yesterday: http://www.theroot.com/articles/news/2015/07/texas_new_academic_guidelines_on_history_textbooks_takes_out_mention_of.html

I mostly agree with you, but as of late, I've come to the realization that some that defend the flag as "heritage" or "southern" have not tied the promotion of slavery or atrocities committed against blacks with the flag.

 

How could anyone not connect the two? The flag was created when a group of states broke away from the country because they wanted to own slaves. The flag was symbolic of a country who's whole reason of existence was because they wanted to treat blacks as property.

How could anyone not connect the two? The flag was created when a group of states broke away from the country because they wanted to own slaves. The flag was symbolic of a country who's whole reason of existence was because they wanted to treat blacks as property.

I don't get it either, but I do believe it to be true.

 

I edited my post and attached a link. This is just going to get worse, as the history is being sanitized in new textbooks.

I don't get it either, but I do believe it to be true.

 

I edited my post and attached a link. This is just going to get worse, as the history is being sanitized even more in new textbooks.

 

Fixed it for you.

I was told that Georgia's state flag is the actual official flag of the Confederate States of America.

Instead of protesting the Rebel Flag at wal mart, they should have done it at the Dollar Genral stores or Dollar Tree.

I guess no one ever mentions the atrocities of what the North did under the American Flag.

 

Plus didn't the North keep blacks from fighting in the war so they wouldn't get the GLORY.

 

So after the war the North set the standards for what would be allowed and get made the rules.

Maybe the Northern liberals fostered all the racism

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.