Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Confederate flag

Featured Replies

He is highlighting the biggest reason the states seceded. Slavery wasn't just a significant reason, it was the main reason. Something that a lot of confederate sympathizers shy away from. Uncomfortable truths tend to make people come up with other reasons.

 

Different issue, but...

 

an-inconvenient-truth-dvd-cover-23.jpg

  • Replies 387
  • Views 36.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A few comments here and there and this guy is claiming somehow everyone missed it.

 

"Teaching or implying that the Confederate states seceded for states’ rights is not accurate history. It is white, Confederate-apologist history"

 

There are tons of examples of where these states stood on states rights. He is taking one aspect of why theses states seceded and just omitting everything else. That can be done about almost anything. To me there is no question slavery was one of the reasons, and a significant one, especially to wealthy slave owners but not the whole picture as he makes it sound. The reasons for the Civil War are a great many.

 

I appreciate your stand Toothpick. But I believe every problem led back to the slavery question. From representation, to westward expansion, to every Compromise from 1820 on. I've read many great historians who have always pointed out that just as Lincoln articulated the notion that the North was dying for something greater than Union by renaming the conflict as a "New Birth of Freedom," the South later revised their rationale of "state's rights" as more than just slavery.

 

I respect your opinion to differ but I think history points the finger always back at the root cause of strife. Just my take.

I appreciate your stand Toothpick. But I believe every problem led back to the slavery question. From representation, to westward expansion, to every Compromise from 1820 on. I've read many great historians who have always pointed out that just as Lincoln articulated the notion that the North was dying for something greater than Union by renaming the conflict as a "New Birth of Freedom," the South later revised their rationale of "state's rights" as more than just slavery.

 

I respect your opinion to differ but I think history points the finger always back at the root cause of strife. Just my take.

 

Thanks

 

Good point, I find it hard to see differing opinions of all this on due to it being something that means a great deal to me that is under siege. Though all this has been eye opening for me it still hits me hard as I see something completely different when I think of the South, the Confederacy and the flag.

I saw something tonight that I've never seen in this town before. A group of High School age boys gathered up in a parking lot and waving a large Confederate Flag as cars drove past them.

 

This is the classic, if you tell someone that they can't or shouldn't do something...they will break their neck to do it. I've seen more confederate flags in this town in the last couple of weeks than I have in the last 20 years combined.

I saw something tonight that I've never seen in this town before. A group of High School age boys gathered up in a parking lot and waving a large Confederate Flag as cars drove past them.

 

This is the classic, if you tell someone that they can't or shouldn't do something...they will break their neck to do it. I've seen more confederate flags in this town in the last couple of weeks than I have in the last 20 years combined.

 

Hadn't seen a Confederate Flag in Louisville in a long time... maybe never. Last week I saw a truck flying one while driving up Dixie Highway.

Hadn't seen a Confederate Flag in Louisville in a long time... maybe never. Last week I saw a truck flying one while driving up Dixie Highway.

 

Saw that here also...went to Indiana this past weekend and even saw a couple up there. I'd never seen one while living almost 10 years up there before...and I lived in an area where I was called anonymously and told that no one would shop at my store as long as a certain guy worked in my meat department. Even in a redneck town like that I never saw one.

Saw that here also...went to Indiana this past weekend and even saw a couple up there. I'd never seen one while living almost 10 years up there before...and I lived in an area where I was called anonymously and told that no one would shop at my store as long as a certain guy worked in my meat department. Even in a redneck town like that I never saw one.

 

Cooties.

 

sammy-davis-archie-bunker-kiss-1.jpg

He is highlighting the biggest reason the states seceded. Slavery wasn't just a significant reason, it was the main reason. Something that a lot of confederate sympathizers shy away from. Uncomfortable truths tend to make people come up with other reasons.

 

I'm amazed at the number of people who refuse to acknowledge the role of slavery and state's rights when it comes to the Civil War. Truly. Amazed.

I've kept my mouth shut on this issue long enough. Here is my stance on the confederate flag.

 

I believe it should be removed from state capital buildings and other govt buildings. I don't think it should be removed from historical sights and/or war monuments etc. it is a part of the history of this country and shouldn't be hidden. Out of sight may mean out of mind but sometimes that is t always a good thing. Should we forget about this countries history? No. We learn from history. Don't remove the flag from war monuments that tell

the story of this country's past.

 

What if Germany simply got rid of all the reminders of the atrocities of WWII and Hitlers reign? What if every reminder of the concentration camps were done away with? How does that teach about the past? Should the Underground Railroad museum in Cincinnati be torn down because of it telling the story of slavery?

 

This is country is way out of line with it's political correctness so much so that it is to the point that we are all being told what we should think and what to hate even if they have to spin the truth.

 

Dukes of Hazard being taken off of cable TV...why? Did that show promote slavery? No. Did the car represent prejudice? No. The flag may seem racist to some so take it off capital buildings. I'm good with that. At the same time don't blame an object on the hate some people have in their hearts and also don't run from history or act as if putting the flag out of sight means nothing in the past happened. It doesn't work that way.

On a lighter note, is it possible that Dukes of Hazard producers had TV Land pull the show for controversy and to collect the windfall they have off DVD sales on Amazon,etc. Probably not, but would have been a shrewd move on someone's part. The show is still on CMT, I believe.

The show is still on CMT, I believe.

 

Pretty sure that's right. There's a little restaurant in Falmouth that my daughter & I eat at often. One of their TV's is almost always tuned to CMT. Lots of Reba & Dukes.

Let me ask this question. Let's say I had a group of people that are natural born citizens of the U.S.- we wanted to start a war with the U.S. (Just like the cofederate) to over throw they current way of living because we disliked or didn't believe in the current way- what is everyone's thoughts? Let's say my group lost - would my groups flag be allowed to fly?

 

Point I am making thinking back on the confederate states - they basically are terrorist or would be thought of in today's time.

 

So were our founding fathers terrorist when they declared their independence from England? That's a serious question by the way.

So were our founding fathers terrorist when they declared their independence from England? That's a serious question by the way.

 

In the eyes of England they may have been. If a terrorist in Saudia Arabia has a child does that child know he is a descendant of a terrorist or does he just know his father?

So were our founding fathers terrorist when they declared their independence from England? That's a serious question by the way.

 

I've never been, but I'm guessing that the stars and stripes aren't flying over too many government buildings over there.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.