July 10, 201511 yr African Americans In The Civil War The very first section states that it was in early 1862 that first blacks were enlisted. How is that after the Union began losing the war? It was barely a year old. In fact the spring of 1862 saw the Union win the battle of Shiloh setting the confederacy in the west on their heels.
July 10, 201511 yr Kid Rock has responded to the people protesting his use of the flag. Let's just say it's priceless.
July 10, 201511 yr I wish the Nation of Islam hadn't murdered Malcolm X. I'd love to hear what he has to say right now about the flag.
July 10, 201511 yr Kid Rock has responded to the people protesting his use of the flag. Let's just say it's priceless. Loved his response!!!
July 10, 201511 yr My guess is there will be no one at his concerts that will be offended :lol: Very doubtful. He knows who butters his bread. :lol2:
July 10, 201511 yr My guess is there will be no one at his concerts that will be offended :lol: Very doubtful. He knows who butters his bread. :lol2: I wonder if his drummer will be offended?
July 10, 201511 yr I wonder if his drummer will be offended? Nah, he knows who butters his bread too. :lol2: :lol2:
July 10, 201511 yr In all seriousness. We're talking about a symbol that may have originated with the best of intentions a century and a half ago. Similar in that respect to the swastika. But over the years, it and its original intent has been hijacked by evil people. It now represents - in my eyes, at any rate - something utterly loathsome.
July 10, 201511 yr Nah, he knows who butters his bread too. :lol2: :lol2: It's a she...but you think she might take exception to what he said.
July 10, 201511 yr Speaking of Germany...KISS uses a different logo when performing in Germany, so they aren't embroiled in any SS controversy.
July 10, 201511 yr In all seriousness. We're talking about a symbol that may have originated with the best of intentions a century and a half ago. Similar in that respect to the swastika. But over the years, it and its original intent has been hijacked by evil people. It now represents - in my eyes, at any rate - something utterly loathsome. I truly would like to see a history of the flag. I guess that I should research it more. I always assumed that the flag had been a continual prominent southern symbol throughout post-Civil War USA. I believe it was a Ken Burns interview on CNN where he said that wasn't true. That particular flag became prominent during the Civil Rights movement. I would say that there are a good many that cry "heritage" may not know that, either.
July 10, 201511 yr In all seriousness. We're talking about a symbol that may have originated with the best of intentions a century and a half ago. Similar in that respect to the swastika. But over the years, it and its original intent has been hijacked by evil people. It now represents - in my eyes, at any rate - something utterly loathsome. To add to that, for me what bothers me the most about it is that a majority of the people know why it is loathsome, why it is so polarizing, why it is so controversial and why it is upsetting to a majority of black people and instead of people saying, "I get it" they get more vindicative and wave the flag higher and louder and more proud. For me that just makes the situation worse and more volatile. These same folks will make incendiary statements about blacks and then swear they aren't racist. Drives me nuts. Kudos to folks like Toothpick who articulates his feelings extremely well and truly can back it up when explaining everything the flag means to him and without being divisive. And kudos to Michael Corleone as well as we had days of back and forth and came to a positive ending of understanding. In something as polarizing as the flag these discussions are important and I am grateful to BGP for being able to have a reasonable and mature discussion about it.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.