Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Confederate flag

Featured Replies

Yeah wal mart can refuse to give a ring already customized and paid for and ready for pick up and tell the customer they can't have it and it's going to be melted down.

But

If a baker don't make a cake for a gay wedding he is fined thousands of dollars

  • Replies 387
  • Views 36k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So a company refuses to sell Confederate Flag stuff and you think it is absurd and the reason is Walmart believes that is a symbol of hatred towards blacks. Do you think it is absurd then that a florist refuses to provide flowers for a gay wedding?

 

I don't see where you can have it both ways, either you support a business refusing to sell items due to their beliefs or you don't? No doubt that both are discriminatory.

 

The difference is that there aren't people coming out of the woodwork vilifying the seller. A few weeks ago Wal-Mart represented all that was evil in the world. Today they represent the PC crowd that says we must trip over ourselves so that we don't offend any one. Please make up your minds.

The difference is that there aren't people coming out of the woodwork vilifying the seller. A few weeks ago Wal-Mart represented all that was evil in the world. Today they represent the PC crowd that says we must trip over ourselves so that we don't offend any one. Please make up your minds.

 

A company can either choose to sell to whom they want to or not. It appears to me that it isn't the company's decision but whether they share your beliefs.

 

Walmart refuses to sell pornography, is that absurd? It works the other way also, There are those that applaud Walmart, but think denying same sex couples a service. Contradictory in my opinion. If we are talking about a company's decision.

 

The real difference is that Walmart refuses to sell to anyone a certain item and the florist picks and chooses who they sell to.

A company can either choose to sell to whom they want to or not. It appears to me that it isn't the company's decision but whether they share your beliefs.

 

Walmart refuses to sell pornography, is that absurd? It works the other way also, There are those that applaud Walmart, but think denying same sex couples a service. Contradictory in my opinion. If we are talking about a company's decision.

 

The real difference is that Walmart refuses to sell to anyone a certain item and the florist picks and chooses who they sell to.

 

And that's the (maybe not-so-subtle) difference that pushes the florist's practices past the grey area and clearly into the discriminatory zone.

 

Withholding something from EVERYBODY ain't discriminatory. Withholding something from a class of people is.

 

Same with the county clerks. Can anybody say "class-action suit"?

I'm amazed at the number of people who refuse to acknowledge the role of slavery and state's rights when it comes to the Civil War. Truly. Amazed.

 

Slavery was the reason but if we are being honest slavery was the bi product of the true factor money. Slavery made the rich more money and they didn't want to lose money. If you showed them a way to make more money without it then slavery was a non issue. But obviously slavery was the main issue.

 

People of the North and South were all racists. Heck today some of the most racist areas in this country are in cities like Boston and suburbs of Maryland.

 

Flying a rebel flag over a government building is silly and dumb. But people trying to boycott it out of private sale are just as silly and dumb.

 

We are a free country. We are free to love and hate whoever we want as long as it's not sponsored by the government.

 

I truly believe most southerners find the flag to be more about southern pride than racism. I'm not one of those citizens. I find the flag to be dumb. But I also think it's trivial and back dated to paint all the people who like it as racist.

Nah, he knows who butters his bread too. :lol2: :lol2:

 

Or his son .....

The confederate flags were out at Kentucky Speedway last night.

From the article listed above:

 

"It shouldn't offend anybody. It's just heritage," he said. "People apparently were taught the wrong thing. They need a history lesson, really, because they were taught the wrong thing."

 

Yeeeeaaaahhhh...I don't think that I am the one that needs a history lesson. Of course, with the new Texas textbooks, we are going to have more of this guy in the future.

Or his son .....

 

Thomas Jefferson had biracial kids too.

 

 

Just saying......

Slavery was the reason but if we are being honest slavery was the bi product of the true factor money. Slavery made the rich more money and they didn't want to lose money. If you showed them a way to make more money without it then slavery was a non issue. But obviously slavery was the main issue.

 

People of the North and South were all racists. Heck today some of the most racist areas in this country are in cities like Boston and suburbs of Maryland.

 

Flying a rebel flag over a government building is silly and dumb. But people trying to boycott it out of private sale are just as silly and dumb.

 

We are a free country. We are free to love and hate whoever we want as long as it's not sponsored by the government.

 

I truly believe most southerners find the flag to be more about southern pride than racism. I'm not one of those citizens. I find the flag to be dumb. But I also think it's trivial and back dated to paint all the people who like it as racist.

 

Who is trying to stop private sale? I see companies pulling the flag but I still haven't seen groups trying to ban the sale of it outright. At the same time, why are people who are trying to prevent the sale of it any sillier and dumber than the majority of people claiming the flag is about heritage yet they can't articulate that heritage the way Toothpick did? A majority of the folks making that claim holler about state's rights and they have zero clue about the true history of anything. I truly believe most southerners KNOW the flag is a symbol of racism and they simply don't give a crap.

 

Until the last couple of weeks I had seen more rebel flags in western Pennsylvania and western New York than down here. The south has risen again though.

 

 

I said the flag was about states’ rights. I said it stood for self-determination. I said it honored heritage.

I argued the Confederate flag wasn’t about race. I believed it. Millions of well-meaning Southerners believe it too.

I was wrong. That flag is always about race. Whatever political or historical points the flag’s defenders make, there will never be a time—and never has been a time—in which millions of Americans have looked at that symbol and not seen hatred.

We can argue for the rest of time whether this is fair or not. And for the rest of time, that symbol will still be seen in an overwhelmingly negative light.

 

 

Heritage might not be hate. But battling hate is far more important than anyone’s heritage, politics, or just about anything else. We should have different priorities.

 

 

c54650b7278f88a3eeaa7aa7d5fce4f7.jpg

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.