Eric Holder..."unconscious bias" makes all cops racists

BigVMan23

All cops, or just white? Article doesn't specifically state, but the argument can be made he's referring to "white cops" in no uncertain terms. I can't believe what I read here.

Eric Holder believes all cops are racists, targets ?unconscious bias? | New York Post

Following the Eric Garner verdict, New York cops can look forward to having their heads examined for “unconscious bias” by federal thought police unleashed by Attorney General Eric Holder.

The NYPD can expect to undergo the same kind of “de-biasing” training that Holder put departments in Seattle, New Orleans, St. Louis and several other cities through while investigating them for alleged civil rights violations.

Federal trainers teach cops not only to think twice about stopping or questioning suspects of color, but also to ignore signs of criminal behavior and threat indicators they’ve gleaned from years of street experience. That puts their own lives in danger — and risks the safety of residents.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Las Vegas, police have banned patrol officers from touching African-American suspects during foot chases. Only partners uninvolved in the chase can step in and use force to arrest the fleeing perp.

In Fayetteville, NC, where Justice started retraining cops in October, searches of black suspects are no longer allowed — even when the suspect gives consent.

Whaaat??

The article said some officers have ran away from people? Wow. I wonder if the citizens are happy when crime rates rise (murders and serious assaults)? If I'm not mistaken, NYPD has done a fantastic job making New York pretty safe considering how many people are there. If they go through this training that might change.

I guess I'll be the contrarian, but "unconscious bias" does not mean "racist." There's plenty of evidence that many (most?) members of our society are likely to view black people with negative prejudices in "knee-jerk" situations.

Here's one study that analyses people's reaction times in a police simulation about whether they should shoot an armed suspect or not shoot an unarmed suspect. The police officers in the study did much better than the general population, but even the police where more likely to believe a black target had a gun when they didn't or that a white target didn't have a gun when they did. Link to Results

A study at Harvard has been examining people's "implicit biases." They define it this way: "A stereotype is a belief that members of a group generally possess some characteristic (for example, the belief that women are typically nurturing). An implicit stereotype is a stereotype that is powerful enough to operate without conscious control." Their study has found significant implicit negative biases toward black people (including by black participants). You can take their study here: Implicit (There are a bunch of others too).