No Need To Show Sam Video

Drafted ahead of Sam (co-defensive player of the year in SEC) in the last two rounds were defensive ends from football powerhouses Concordia (Minn.) and Marist. Laughable. I suspect the Rams may have been the only NFL team interested in drafting the hero of the 2014 Cotton Bowl' date=' and knew they could get him at the end of the draft. I would also guess the commissioner's office made sure that Sam did not go undrafted, lest the league be labeled as discriminatory.[/quote']

Stats are misleading. I think I read 9 of Sam's 11 sacks came in 2 games. His combine #'s were average at best and I don't think his game will translate to the NFL. He'll be gone at the first roster cuts and it won't be because of his sexuality

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stats are misleading. I think I read 9 of Sam's 11 sacks came in 2 games. His combine #'s were average at best and I don't think his game will translate to the NFL. He'll be gone at the first roster cuts and it won't be because of his sexuality

Agreed. He only played 60% of the Tigers plays on defense.

Drafted ahead of Sam (co-defensive player of the year in SEC) in the last two rounds were defensive ends from football powerhouses Concordia (Minn.) and Marist. Laughable. I suspect the Rams may have been the only NFL team interested in drafting the hero of the 2014 Cotton Bowl, and knew they could get him at the end of the draft. I would also guess the commissioner's office made sure that Sam did not go undrafted, lest the league be labeled as discriminatory.

Sorry to disagree. There is no way that the commissioners office would force any team to waste a draft pick on anyone they didn't want to draft. Remember it's the owners that are the boss of the commissioner, not the other way around.

The conspiracy theories people come up with always gives me a good laugh.

Sorry to disagree. There is no way that the commissioners office would force any team to waste a draft pick on anyone they didn't want to draft. Remember it's the owners that are the boss of the commissioner, not the other way around.

Exactly! Sam was worth a flyer and that's what he is just like any other 7th rounder or undrafted free agent. Teams throw stuff up against the wall and hope something sticks

Exactly! Sam was worth a flyer and that's what he is just like any other 7th rounder or undrafted free agent. Teams throw stuff up against the wall and hope something sticks

The Rams knew what they were doing. They have one of the best, if not the best D line in the league. If Sams shows any ability to play at this level he will be released and if makes it through waivers will be re-signed to the practice squad. That is my prediction. He would be a good player to develop for the future and I think that is what the Rams will do.

You're right. The commissioner's office wouldn't or couldn't force a team to draft a specific player. However, if Sam had NOT been drafted, then there would have been a messy, and possibly costly, PR problem for the league, with headlines in major newspapers asking: "Is the NFL homophobic?"

I suspect that the NFL's public relations arm prepared and circulated to the owners a risk analysis had Sam gone undrafted, covering topics such as approval ratings, possible loss of advertising revenue, ill will for cities seeking new stadiums, etc.

I would bet that the league's owners knew before the draft began on Saturday that some team would draft Sam late in the day.

You're right. The commissioner's office wouldn't or couldn't force a team to draft a specific player. However, if Sam had NOT been drafted, then there would have been a messy, and possibly costly, PR problem for the league, with headlines in major newspapers asking: "Is the NFL homophobic?"

I suspect that the NFL's public relations arm prepared and circulated to the owners a risk analysis had Sam gone undrafted, covering topics such as approval ratings, possible loss of advertising revenue, ill will for cities seeking new stadiums, etc.

I would bet that the league's owners knew before the draft began on Saturday that some team would draft Sam late in the day.

I don't think it would of been messy or costly. Sam was not and won't be the first gay player in the NFL. He wasn't drafted earlier simply because he wasn't good enough to be drafted earlier according to many evaluators. For those who say he wasn't drafted earlier because of his sexual preference because he should have been for being a co Defensive player of the year for the SEC couldn't be more wrong. There have been Heisman winners not drafted high or even drafted at all.

I just don't buy your idea that even the commissioners office warned teams if he wasn't drafted. I think leading up to the draft it got way more coverage than it deserved.

Ok....did ESPN go a little over the top with showing the video?? Probably. But to label the video as "sick" or "disgusting" as it has been in this forum, shows why this is a newsworthy event. Had this been a guy and his girlfriend, no one bats an eye or loses any sleep. But because it's two guys showing the same genuine emotion, and sharing a few kisses (and that's all it was, it wan't like they were making out), it suddenly is branded as "gross". It shows we still have a long way to go as a country.

Ok....did ESPN go a little over the top with showing the video?? Probably. But to label the video as "sick" or "disgusting" as it has been in this forum, shows why this is a newsworthy event. Had this been a guy and his girlfriend, no one bats an eye or loses any sleep. But because it's two guys showing the same genuine emotion, and sharing a few kisses (and that's all it was, it wan't like they were making out), it suddenly is branded as "gross". It shows we still have a long way to go as a country.

Had this been a guy and his girl it wouldn't have had 15 minutes of solid coverage.

I think Sam could be a good pro if the Rams can fit him in their D. He's more of a standup end player that can give a rush off the edge. He has potential to be a 3rd down player. I hope he succeedes, it took some serious courage to do what he did.

I file this away in the "Who Cares?" folder. I'm all for equal rights, but at the same time this made me a little uncomfortable. It didn't ruin my day, or make me upset at ESPN b/c it really wasn't anything bad. Just wasn't my cup of tea. Got over it pretty quickly.

As it was, this could be a good pick for the Rams if it allows them to bring 4 DEs in on passing downs, ala the Giants. He'll always be a liability against the run due to his size, but if he can give them 5+ sacks a season as a 7th rounder, that's hitting a home run.

I don't think it would of been messy or costly. Sam was not and won't be the first gay player in the NFL. He wasn't drafted earlier simply because he wasn't good enough to be drafted earlier according to many evaluators. For those who say he wasn't drafted earlier because of his sexual preference because he should have been for being a co Defensive player of the year for the SEC couldn't be more wrong. There have been Heisman winners not drafted high or even drafted at all.

I just don't buy your idea that even the commissioners office warned teams if he wasn't drafted. I think leading up to the draft it got way more coverage than it deserved.

A comparable player to Michael Sam is Dee Ford of Auburn, a first-round draft choice of K.C. Both are about 6-2 and 255 pounds. Sam had the better year in the SEC, which is why the coaches named him, along with C.J. Moseley, co-defensive players of the year. Time will tell.