In What Bowl Will UK Land?

Zoot Soup

They had their chance yesterday to play in a much better bowl game. That was their opportunity and they blew it again. If their coaches and team can't get as prepared as they can be for that game with the bragging rights, streak, etc on the line, then I don't think they warrant another chance.

That's your opinion, but that's not the system. So again, with the current system how is UK going to get better by refusing bowl games?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is absolutely true. Kentucky is going to get an invite. Refusing a bowl, however, spirals the program downward. Why do that? Just for spite?

Refusing a bowl would get them more notoriety than playing some hocus pocus December 20th contest. Then maybe recruits would say these guys are taking it serious. It would send a message that mediocrity won't be tolerated and rewarded.

Refusing a bowl would get them more notoriety than playing some hocus pocus December 20th contest. Then maybe recruits would say these guys are taking it serious. It would send a message that mediocrity won't be tolerated and rewarded.

I highly doubt that. Recruits want to play. One recruiting tool used by all coaches is the number of bowls attended, even with the saturation in today's environment. Recruits also want to believe they are part of that next big step. Don't play and they won't come at all. Give Joker a chance here, before pulling the rug out from under him.

It would be stupid to reject a bowl bid. What team wouldn't want an extra month of free practices? You take a bowl bid when you get it and be happy that you got it.

That being said, UK did not improve this season. They were same team from week 1 to now.

I think they end up in Birmingham. If USC defeats Auburn, then maybe Detroit.

I thought I had read or heard somewhere that Kentucky would be left out if Arkansas beat LSU and Georgia beat Georgia Tech.

There are several bowls who's conference affiliates did not have enough teams to qualify. One is in Detroit. I've seen one projection that has Louisville going to the Sun Bowl.

I can't envision a situation where Kentucky doesn't go to Birmingham. There's just no way two SEC teams don't make it into BCS games. Auburn will be in the BCS Championship with a win this week and the Sugar Bowl will almost assuredly take either Arkansas or LSU. If South Carolina beats Auburn then the Gamecocks will go to the Sugar Bowl. In that situation I feel confident that the Orange Bowl would take either Auburn, Arkansas, or LSU. Too much money and too many fans not to select an SEC team.

Assuming Auburn beats South Carolina, I think the bowl bids will look like this (these are in order of selection, by the way):

1. BCS - Auburn

2. Sugar - Arkansas

3. Capital One - Alabama (because they took LSU last year)

4. Cotton - LSU

5. Outback - South Carolina

6. Chick-fil-A - Mississippi State

7. Gator - Florida

8. Music City - Tennessee

9. Liberty - Georgia (since they haven't had the Bulldogs since 1987)

10. BBVA Compass/Birmingham - Kentucky

If South Carolina were to beat Auburn, then I think the bowl order would look like this:

1. Sugar - South Carolina

2. Orange - Auburn

3. Capital One - Alabama

4. Cotton - LSU

5. Outback - Arkansas

6. Chick-fil-A - Mississippi State

7. Gator - Florida

8. Music City - Tennessee

9. Liberty - Georgia

10. BBVA Compass/Birmingham - Kentucky

Either way I can't see Kentucky not going to Birmingham.

I read your post. You are incorrect. You think a great recruit is going to watch UK and Alabama Birmingham play and decide they wanted to be a Cat? Why didn't those great recruits come in before? The Cats are always in the same predicament. About .500 and not good in SEC play. They are a team that benefits from the whole "bowl eleigble" disgrace. Get your six wins and we will find a bowl for you. They had a coach that had coached in the NFL-that didn't help. They have had NFL talent on teams that didn't help. They must get better, and not settle for mediocrity. That's what the UK football program is. That is a step up from awful which they used to be, but if they had lost to SC, they would not be eligible for this "bowl", and what would everybody say then?
You are also only looking at this through the UK prism. Try your argument with teams like UL or UT with first year head coaches of their own trying to build some momentum.

The notion that any team should reject a bowl bid is ridiculous. The most insane statement I have ever read on BGP. And it isn't even close. If you don't want to watch 6-6 teams in a bowl, go Christmas shopping or something and then you wont be bothered by it.

Why is it ridiculous? There are some schools that could lose money by going to a bowl game. Some schools can't afford to do that.

I agree that not accepting is crazy, the little possible monetary loss does not compare to the practice time. I thought that some teams lost money because they had to buy so many tickets? If so, I doubt that is a problem with the Cats. Go to Detroit and the give the fans something different.