Auburn 37 Kentucky 34

swamprat

Where I think Kentucky lost the game: Down 34-31 with 8+/- minutes left, go for it on fourth-and-one and get it. Next three calls are two runs up the middle and a horrible short sideline pass over Cobb's head, which he couldn't have done anything with if he had called. Send in the kicker, tied 34-34. After converting the first fourth down, Kentucky was content not to blow it and wanted to be sure of the field goal. That's all fine except you know Auburn can run the ball and run out the clock. Three play calls looking to score a touchdown would have put a good deal more pressure on Auburn in the last five minutes and they would have had to be looking to score a TD, not just run and run to get into field goal range.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad to see other people bring up the past, there has to be a stat out there for UK football and how many losses they have had like this against ranked teams. Just unbelievable the number of games they lose like this each year.

You just had a feeling if Auburn picked up an early 3rd down in that drive, you could see it coming down to a final field goal. Just heartbreaking.

I'm proud of UK. They had no business even being in the game with Auburn, especially going off how bad UK has been this season and the fact Auburn jumped out to a big lead. It's disappointing to lose a close one, especially the way UK lost but this game actually gave me some hope for the team. With a good game plan they may be able to sneak up of SC who will be due for a down week coming off the biggest win in school history.

Just figured I would keep with past precedent.

How is it other SEC teams (Auburn, even Ole Miss) can come up with an offensive scheme that puts the football into the hands of their key players when they need a few big plays yet when UK needs a first down deep in Auburn territory, they are handing off to Donald Russell. Really?

Kudos to Steve Brown and the staff for the defensive adjustments in the second half, although they should have known what Auburn was going to do in the first half using the Florida film as a game plan.

I agree with gchs. For a coach with the name of Joker, there isn't much gambling in the blood. When it comes to football strategy and playcalling on both sides of the football, Kentucky is a red state. Perhaps the reddest of reds.

At least yesterday, the UK players showed that they wanted to be on the field and they enjoyed playing the game of football. Too many times this season it seemed liked playing was a burden rather than something to look forward to and be enjoyed. Still, I don't think this team is 100% together.

Where I think Kentucky lost the game: Down 34-31 with 8+/- minutes left, go for it on fourth-and-one and get it. Next three calls are two runs up the middle and a horrible short sideline pass over Cobb's head, which he couldn't have done anything with if he had called. Send in the kicker, tied 34-34. After converting the first fourth down, Kentucky was content not to blow it and wanted to be sure of the field goal. That's all fine except you know Auburn can run the ball and run out the clock. Three play calls looking to score a touchdown would have put a good deal more pressure on Auburn in the last five minutes and they would have had to be looking to score a TD, not just run and run to get into field goal range.

I agree gchs.

Kentucky is scoring points, it's just that the defense does very little. They scored 35 points last week and 34 this week. Those should be enough points to win a ball game! The Cats either have a good O and a weak D, or a weak O and a good D. They can't seem to have both in the "good" category in the same year.

I'm proud of UK. They had no business even being in the game with Auburn, especially going off how bad UK has been this season and the fact Auburn jumped out to a big lead. It's disappointing to lose a close one, especially the way UK lost but this game actually gave me some hope for the team. With a good game plan they may be able to sneak up of SC who will be due for a down week coming off the biggest win in school history.

:thumb: If the defense can put two halves together, they may have something.

Encouraging performance vs. the number 8 team in the country.