Do the Bengals draft a QB in the first round?

Jim Schue

Should the Bengals draft a QB?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Bengals draft a QB?

• Yes, CP is washed up.
    • No, CP is still one of the best in the NFL
    • They won't, but they should

In fairness they've won the toughest division in football 2 of the last 6 years. I'm not holding the QB and coach responsible for years they weren't here. Marvin has won 2 of 8. Palmer 2 of 6 as a full time starter.

As to the question. Absolutely Brown is insane thinking he can consistently by how he operates. He isn't insane however to think he can win the division next year by keeping Palmer and Lewis.

Can the Bengals win the AFC North next year? Absolutely. Is it likely given their current team? I say no.

I honestly think keeping those two to have a shot at the AFC North next year is short-sighted. They're probably not going to be a real contender for the superbowl next year, so why is the playoffs so important right now? Wouldn't you rahter just rebuild and start over and maybe build a team that can realistically compete for the Super Bowl. What is done is done, but it looks like Palmer and Chad are on the decline, TO couldn't be far behind. Young guys looked good the last two or three weeks. Why not go in that direction?

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can the Bengals win the AFC North next year? Absolutely. Is it likely given their current team? I say no.

I honestly think keeping those two to have a shot at the AFC North next year is short-sighted. They're probably not going to be a real contender for the superbowl next year, so why is the playoffs so important right now? Wouldn't you rahter just rebuild and start over and maybe build a team that can realistically compete for the Super Bowl. What is done is done, but it looks like Palmer and Chad are on the decline, TO couldn't be far behind. Young guys looked good the last two or three weeks. Why not go in that direction?

How are they not going in that direction. It sure seems like most of these older guys like Chad, TO, Odom, Geathers, Bobby Williams, and possibly Dhani wont be back. So this team will be a team full of youth next year from the looks of things. So how exactly are they not going in that direction. They are in a position to go with more youth, while not completely having to give up on seasons. Yes they do need to draft a young QB for the future, and Im sure they will. However they can keep Palmer and still keep a shot at having a good year next year even with the young guys while the young guy learns. Then if Palmer struggles, then go with the young guy. However just because they are sticking with Palmer, it doesn't mean they are not going in the direction of younger players.

Aren't the Bengals the definition of insanity? Trying the same thing over and over expecting different results? I think they will have a better season next year, but do you think they can maintain the status quo at coach and QB and hope to survive in the AFC? I think it's been proven that this combo doesn't work. It has gotten them to the post season twice this decade. If that's what Bengals fans want is two successful seasons mixed in with 8 underachieving seasons have at it.

I think you missed my point. No where did I say I expected different results. With the reality that Lewis and Palmer will both be here, I just gave my position on what had to happen with the team, for them to win some games. And the list I put out there is quite extensive. The common denominator, was, is, and will be Mike Brown. Under Mike Brown, Carson is the best QB, they have had, and Marvin is the best HC, they have had. We have to view the situation in this reality. As long as Mike Brown is running the show, we should not expect anything more than what we have had.

I think you missed my point. No where did I say I expected different results. With the reality that Lewis and Palmer will both be here, I just gave my position on what had to happen with the team, for them to win some games. And the list I put out there is quite extensive. The common denominator, was, is, and will be Mike Brown. Under Mike Brown, Carson is the best QB, they have had, and Marvin is the best HC, they have had. We have to view the situation in this reality. As long as Mike Brown is running the show, we should not expect anything more than what we have had.

Exactly. Mike Brown hired Dave Shula on the cheap and drafted Akili Smith rather than trading out of that spot for every pick the Saints had that draft and a 1st and 3rd the next year. He also drafted Klingler. To think he's going to knock out a coaching hire (we know it would be a coordinator for cheap) and draft a QB better than 3970 yards with 26 TD's is my definition of insane.

Was it likely heading into last year? The schedule is far different. The Gals played the toughest schedule in the NFL this year.

How are they not going in that direction. It sure seems like most of these older guys like Chad, TO, Odom, Geathers, Bobby Williams, and possibly Dhani wont be back. So this team will be a team full of youth next year from the looks of things. So how exactly are they not going in that direction. They are in a position to go with more youth, while not completely having to give up on seasons. Yes they do need to draft a young QB for the future, and Im sure they will. However they can keep Palmer and still keep a shot at having a good year next year even with the young guys while the young guy learns. Then if Palmer struggles, then go with the young guy. However just because they are sticking with Palmer, it doesn't mean they are not going in the direction of younger players.

Keeping Palmer and Lewis= not going in a different direction IMO. They going to draft a 5ht rounder to be the guy after Palmer? You either take a QB of the future or you don't. Young QBs are more NFL ready than ever, and many teams have guys that look good going forward. Going forward for the next 2-4 years how many teams are worse off at QB than Cincy? It seems like the same direction to me, get cheap guys and convince Bengals fans that things will be different next year. But it won't be different and never will be. Maybe it's Mike Brown, but I also blame the fanbase. Bengal fans are too easily pleased IMO, everyone went wild after last season. Alot of Bengal fans buy the crap that is sold every off-season. Now it's TO and Chad's fault and the young WRs will prove that next year. I'm calling crap on that.

Was it likely heading into last year? The schedule is far different. The Gals played the toughest schedule in the NFL this year.

:lol: Like it would have mattered. Now I've heard it all. This is ridiculous. A BGP membership is worth the price if only to see the eternal optimism of Bengals fans. The poor little Bengals had to play the toughest schedule in the NFL. Teams like the Panthers and Bills are just too big and bad. I have heard it all, you're willing to use anything as an excuse for this team. What's next, the weather in Cincy was too cold this season?

:lol: Like it would have mattered. Now I've heard it all. This is ridiculous. A BGP membership is worth the price if only to see the eternal optimism of Bengals fans. The poor little Bengals had to play the toughest schedule in the NFL. Teams like the Panthers and Bills are just too big and bad. I have heard it all, you're willing to use anything as an excuse for this team. What's next, the weather in Cincy was too cold this season?

The fact remains that the toughest schedule bit is true. They played all the teams in the AFC that made the playoffs except Kansas City. Which if the Bengals lost to the Chargers, the Chargers would have made it and it would have been every playoff team in the AFC they played. They played the Saints, and Falcons who made the playoffs in the NFC. They also played Tampa Bay who barely missed it at 10 and 6. Not to mention they played Pittsburgh, and Baltimore twice. So they played a total of 9 games against playoff teams this year. Then you also had the Chargers, and Tampa who barely missed it, and the Chargers missing it because of the Bengals. Not to mention that even with this tough schedule, the Bengals played basically everyone tough, and lost 7 games by 7 points or less. Call it excuses if you want, which I am sure you will since you like to ignore facts. However that is how it is, and shows the Bengals really aren't to far off with the right changes.

Keeping Palmer and Lewis= not going in a different direction IMO. They going to draft a 5ht rounder to be the guy after Palmer? You either take a QB of the future or you don't. Young QBs are more NFL ready than ever, and many teams have guys that look good going forward. Going forward for the next 2-4 years how many teams are worse off at QB than Cincy? It seems like the same direction to me, get cheap guys and convince Bengals fans that things will be different next year. But it won't be different and never will be. Maybe it's Mike Brown, but I also blame the fanbase. Bengal fans are too easily pleased IMO, everyone went wild after last season. Alot of Bengal fans buy the crap that is sold every off-season. Now it's TO and Chad's fault and the young WRs will prove that next year. I'm calling crap on that.

So let me get this straight you basically put down all the QB's coming out in this years draft saying you don't think they will be much in your earlier post. Now your saying they could draft one of those guys and still have a good as chance to win as with Carson? Wow that makes perfect sense there man. Draft one of the guys who you think basically won't do good in the NFL. Once again you are on top of things.

So let me get this straight you basically put down all the QB's coming out in this years draft saying you don't think they will be much in your earlier post. Now your saying they could draft one of those guys and still have a good as chance to win as with Carson? Wow that makes perfect sense there man. Draft one of the guys who you think basically won't do good in the NFL. Once again you are on top of things.

Cam Newton is still on the board..... And maybe they draft other positions and take a QB next year. Either way I think moving away from Palmer is the way to go. I understand he is you're relative or something and you don't feel this way though.

The fact remains that the toughest schedule bit is true. They played all the teams in the AFC that made the playoffs except Kansas City. Which if the Bengals lost to the Chargers, the Chargers would have made it and it would have been every playoff team in the AFC they played. They played the Saints, and Falcons who made the playoffs in the NFC. They also played Tampa Bay who barely missed it at 10 and 6. Not to mention they played Pittsburgh, and Baltimore twice. So they played a total of 9 games against playoff teams this year. Then you also had the Chargers, and Tampa who barely missed it, and the Chargers missing it because of the Bengals. Not to mention that even with this tough schedule, the Bengals played basically everyone tough, and lost 7 games by 7 points or less. Call it excuses if you want, which I am sure you will since you like to ignore facts. However that is how it is, and shows the Bengals really aren't to far off with the right changes.

They won 4 games. I don't care if the losses were by a combined 15 points, they are far from becoming an elite team in the AFC. Once again what will the next excuse be.....

This looks like a "No-Brainer Mike Brown Special" here----With the way Mallet looked when faced with real pressure in his bowl game, or Cam Newton (Akili Part II) potentially available; one of these has to be this year's wasted Bengal's high 1st round pick??

With CP still here though, money could kill this option for Mikey?? Newton in particular could cost a ton, with having to pay off his Dad, Auburn, his agent, reps, barber, valet, etc., in addition to his "slot cost"; who knows how much he could end up costing??