Do the Bengals draft a QB in the first round?

Jim Schue

Should the Bengals draft a QB?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Bengals draft a QB?

• Yes, CP is washed up.
    • No, CP is still one of the best in the NFL
    • They won't, but they should

Yep. I think Peterson or Bowers would be homerun picks. I wouldn't really even mind Fairley out of Auburn, but not sure how much of a need they have at the DT position with Peko, Atkins, and Sims.

Peterson would be a homerun pick for Cincy I think. To me Luck, Fairley and Peterson are easily the 3 best players in the draft. The corner from Nebraska isn't bad either, but he's more of a shut-down guy as opposed to the big playmaker you get with Peterson.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is the perfect year for the Bengals to trade down in the draft. Despite the team's record, I think there are a lot of young talented players in place and there isn't anyone I see at #4 that knocks my socks off as a perfect fit for the Bengals. If they could trade down to the middle of the first round and get some extra picks, that is the move I would look for. Of course, that would be very un Bengal like. As to needs, I think safety is at the top of the list and offensive line is next.

I like the trade down move for them if they can't get Peterson. :thumb: The only problem is that I think this is a weak draft, so if they have someone they really like they have to take him IMO.

As for AJ Green, I think if Cincy feels he can be another Larry Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson, he wouldn't be a bad pick either. I'm not sold on him, I think he will either be a huge star or a complete bust. I would guess star, but at #4 it's hard to take a WR.

I wouldn't take one because even if he's as good as Fitzgerald someone has to get that guy the ball. You think Palmer is terrible and they aren't taking a QB so why take a WR?

Kidding kind of, but really I'm not sold on him either. I wouldn't take a WR in the top 10 ever even if I knew he would be Andre Johnson.

I wouldn't take one because even if he's as good as Fitzgerald someone has to get that guy the ball. You think Palmer is terrible and they aren't taking a QB so why take a WR?

Kidding kind of, but really I'm not sold on him either. I wouldn't take a WR in the top 10 ever even if I knew he would be Andre Johnson.

I want the Bengals to have all kinds of weapons just to see what kinds of excuses you can come up with next for Mr. Scrub, I mean Palmer.

I want the Bengals to have all kinds of weapons just to see what kinds of excuses you can come up with next for Mr. Scrub, I mean Palmer.

Rookie WR's don't usually translate to weapons. They may become weapons though. We shall see what he does next year. He had a bad year this year and went for 3980, 26, and completed 62% of his passes. My contention isn't that he's great. It's that he's good enough to win if they run to set up the pass. If he continues to throw into double and triple teams with Ownes and 85 gone I'd look for a QB the year after in the 1st round. I wouldn't mind taking one in the 2nd round this year if one of the top few drop. I'd leave Cam Newton alone until the 5th round though.

I'm going to climb off of Palmer's back here. I have been as critical as anyone else of his play. Expectations were this season, with the addition of TO, Gresham and Shipley. The onus was put on Palmer this season, that the success or failure rested on his shoulders. And as the 3rd highest paid, proverbial "Franchise" QB, I think that expectation of him was warranted. Now, let's get to reality here. Carson Palmer is not an elite "Franchise" QB, even though he his paid like one. I do think he can be serviceable on a team that has a great running game, and great defense. Neither of which Cincinnati had this past season. Carson Plamer will be the QB of this team next season. A fewthings need to happen for this team to have any success at all next season. The defense needs to say healthy and improve. The offense needs to address questions on the line, and if Ced walks, replace him with a quality back. I also would like to a FB in front of Ced. Offense needs a new coordinator and perhaps a whole new staff. The staff in place has been here a long time and has become quite stagnant. The overall discipline on the team nees to improve. Stupid penalties and mistakes continously haunt this team. So that brings us to the HC. Lewis needs to focus on improving on all asoects of his position. None of this has anything to do with Carson Palmer. What he needs to do is improve his overall play. With help from a new OC and perhaps QB coach, and a veteran backup ( all needed ) he needs to improve his ability to read defenses, to switch out of plays that are doomed, and to know what the secondary is in to cut down on poor throws into coverage. If the Bengals can improve on all mentioned, and maybe some I missed, then there is no reason, if Palmer is capable of playing at a decent level , this team can't win some games. If we continue to see the same issue with Carson Palmer, then he needs to replaced. They cannot win with him playing at the level he exhibited this past season, if the rest of the team has been improved.

They should try to shoot for either Mallet, Luck or Gabbard. Either one of these three would be the smartest. but with Carolina saying if they have the #1 pick they will draft Luck, he is out of the question. Mallet reminds me of a Carson Palmer before "The Hit". Good looking player with a huge NFL career.

They should try to shoot for either Mallet, Luck or Gabbard. Either one of these three would be the smartest. but with Carolina saying if they have the #1 pick they will draft Luck, he is out of the question. Mallet reminds me of a Carson Palmer before "The Hit". Good looking player with a huge NFL career.

No thanks on Mallet. Go back and look at Palmer in college, he was much more mobile than Mallet is in college. Mallet looks like Palmer now after his knee injury. So unless maybe Mallet is there in the third round maybe, then no thanks on him. The Bengals do need to get a young QB in the draft, however if we are going to get one. Lets get one of the guys who can move around some. Not to mention I fear how Mallet would do against the pressure defenses of the Steelers and Ravens. He did not look good at all against OSU when they did have pressure on him. If you give him time, yes he picks people up. However anytime he tried to move and throw when getting pressured it was a bad pass.

I'm going to climb off of Palmer's back here. I have been as critical as anyone else of his play. Expectations were this season, with the addition of TO, Gresham and Shipley. The onus was put on Palmer this season, that the success or failure rested on his shoulders. And as the 3rd highest paid, proverbial "Franchise" QB, I think that expectation of him was warranted. Now, let's get to reality here. Carson Palmer is not an elite "Franchise" QB, even though he his paid like one. I do think he can be serviceable on a team that has a great running game, and great defense. Neither of which Cincinnati had this past season. Carson Plamer will be the QB of this team next season. A fewthings need to happen for this team to have any success at all next season. The defense needs to say healthy and improve. The offense needs to address questions on the line, and if Ced walks, replace him with a quality back. I also would like to a FB in front of Ced. Offense needs a new coordinator and perhaps a whole new staff. The staff in place has been here a long time and has become quite stagnant. The overall discipline on the team nees to improve. Stupid penalties and mistakes continously haunt this team. So that brings us to the HC. Lewis needs to focus on improving on all asoects of his position. None of this has anything to do with Carson Palmer. What he needs to do is improve his overall play. With help from a new OC and perhaps QB coach, and a veteran backup ( all needed ) he needs to improve his ability to read defenses, to switch out of plays that are doomed, and to know what the secondary is in to cut down on poor throws into coverage. If the Bengals can improve on all mentioned, and maybe some I missed, then there is no reason, if Palmer is capable of playing at a decent level , this team can't win some games. If we continue to see the same issue with Carson Palmer, then he needs to replaced. They cannot win with him playing at the level he exhibited this past season, if the rest of the team has been improved.

After 7 months of battles I agree with everything you said. If you look at everything I said in the preseason I never said he was elite now. I said in 05-06 he was elite and now he's in the 10-15 range. It would be hard pressed to say he's around 10th now, but I look around the league and I really don't think 17 guys are better than him which puts him arond 15th. If they make changes and become a run to pass team again and he has the same mental mistakes look for a QB next year. He needs a veteran backup and a new offense this year. I think Lewis may improve just by getting rid of adaults that need a babysitter. At least I hope he does. As sad as it is unless you want a guaranteed 3 more years of misery they needed to keep Lewis and CP and take another chance next year. If it imlpodes again they need to blow it up and start over. GT tweeted after the Mallet pick the other night that Mallet was the next Ryan Leef. I agree with that the only QB I would consider in the top 5 is Luck. Let everyone else take the chances. Cam Newton to me is Alex Smith, Akili Smith or Jamarcus Russel. I wouldn't mind if they went and got Claussen from Carolina for a 3rd or 4th rounder and a Kitna type though.

I agree with basically everything there. It's nice to finally see a reasonable post by mal. :lol:

Seriously though, CP is not the biggest issue. Like it or not, he's going to remain in Cincinnati. Personally, I think he's serviceable. He's better than at least a few QB's who made the playoffs. One thing that some people have failed to realize this year is that the Bengals made the playoffs in '09 because they ran the ball well & played good defense - not because Palmer was throwing the ball all over the field.

Late this season, Palmer showed that he is still capable of spreading the ball around. It has beaten to death on BGP, but I truly believe that the WR's were the biggest part of the problem. Palmer is the easiest guy to blame, and quite frankly he deserves some of the blame as well, but he's not the main culprit.

For the Bengals to return to the playoffs, we do not need Carson Palmer to throw for 4,000 yards. We need him to control the ball, make good decisions at the line, and effectively run play action. And if the Bengals happen to fall behind early or need a score late, they'll need Palmer to step up & complete a few passes. People can try to label him mediocre, average, elite, or whatever meaningless adjective you want to use to describe him. The fact remains that he's going to be our quarterback next year and I think that's a good thing. When I look at the list of FA QB's, I don't see anyone who could do a better job. Sure, there may be some franchise QB's in the draft, but do you really trust Mike Brown to make the right decision on a QB? On top of that, he'd likely sit behind Palmer for another season.

For those of you clamoring for a new QB. Would signing Vince Young to a back-up role satisfy you? If Palmer plays well, Young will remain the back up. If he struggles & the team goes 4-12 again, he'll likely get a shot to play.

If the Panthers end up auctioning the pick, a smart team in the Bengals situation would do everything in their power to get the pick. However, they're not going to pay that kind of money willingly I wouldn't think.

As for the other QBs:

-Mallet is awful when he has to come off his first read IMO. He is a statue and cannot throw when he has to reset his feet. He has all kinds of tools, but I think he's too big and has a horrible attitude to boot. I wouldn't take Mallet with the last pick in the 2nd round, I think he'll be a complete bust.

-Gabbert is one I don't get. What did he do the last two years? He put up good numbers in a pass happy, high completion percentage type spread offense. Playing in Pinkel's 7-yard shotgun isn't going to help either IMO. I only take him as a project, if I can afford to not have him play for two years.

-Locker is awful IMO. He's athletic but his completion percentage against good teams is pathetic. And maybe they don't have alot of talent, but a good QB can elevate that. Who did Luck throw to? Who did Matt Ryan throw to? They got it done regardless.

I take Cam Newton if I'm a QB-needy team in the middle of the first round. Sure he plays in a really, really gimmicky spread but the guy is a good passer. He has an NFL arm and is accurate. And athleticism is something that cannot be taught. If he seems like a guy that is willing to work I see no risk. All he needs is some time to develop and some work on his fundamentals which all kinds of QBs need coming from college spread offenses. I think Tebow's brief time and success this season gives teams hope on Newton. I don't love Newton as an NFL QB but I like him alot better than everyone else in this draft outside of Luck. JMO.

Aren't the Bengals the definition of insanity? Trying the same thing over and over expecting different results? I think they will have a better season next year, but do you think they can maintain the status quo at coach and QB and hope to survive in the AFC? I think it's been proven that this combo doesn't work. It has gotten them to the post season twice this decade. If that's what Bengals fans want is two successful seasons mixed in with 8 underachieving seasons have at it.

Aren't the Bengals the definition of insanity? Trying the same thing over and over expecting different results? I think they will have a better season next year, but do you think they can maintain the status quo at coach and QB and hope to survive in the AFC? I think it's been proven that this combo doesn't work. It has gotten them to the post season twice this decade. If that's what Bengals fans want is two successful seasons mixed in with 8 underachieving seasons have at it.

In fairness they've won the toughest division in football 2 of the last 6 years. I'm not holding the QB and coach responsible for years they weren't here. Marvin has won 2 of 8. Palmer 2 of 6 as a full time starter.

As to the question. Absolutely Brown is insane thinking he can consistently by how he operates. He isn't insane however to think he can win the division next year by keeping Palmer and Lewis.